Dog Question for you dog lovers

I have a question for you dog lovers. My wife is wanting a dog. She is wanting what is called a chiweenie. It is chihuahua/Dachshund hybrid. I was wondering if you guys have heard of this breed and if you could give me some info on them. I want to know what i'm getting into before i get one for her.
Thanks

The pet store by me has some for sale on the bulletion board. If you want Im sure you could call the store and they would give you the number to the people that has them.

Sea Dweller and Friends
(269)665-1966

Im a Rott kinda guy. Mine is the one on the right. His name is Gixxer :thumbsup:the other is his girlfriend lol
KitaandGixxer.jpg

This is some of the females from their last litter. They are six months old in this pic. I kept the one on the far left. Her name is Katana:thumbsup:
I think I might like suzuki alittle to much:beerchug:

DSC03498.jpg

I had Daschunds for 14 years. They were great family dogs but not much for protection or security. These are my current friends. The German Shepherd is only 10 months old and 100lbs.
IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

Why get a dog that small. Thats what cats are for. Small dogs I've heard attach themselves to one person only. Everyone else gets bit or barked at. There bark is nothing but annoying. It wont scare preditors. But hey to each his own. If you want an ankle biter get one. Personally I'd go with a medium size dog.

plate mod 087.jpg

hey hey hey I have a chicuahua and I am not afraid to say it. Mine never barks my other dogs bark all the time I have only heard him do it like twice. My chihuahua is a great dog he is not afraid of any i mean any big dog fights with my friends great dane all the time.

fight??? you mean play right :p cause if that Dane even passes out an falls on it he'll kill it.

I appreciate all the info you guys have givin me. I would love to have more of a medium size dog, but the wife found this breed or mix and loves them. I wanted to get some input from some dog lovers. Now i have a decision to make a dog or cat. There is no way she will let me get a medium size dog. I will have to deal with the mix breed or a cat and i'm not sure if i wanna deal with either. But since she lets me drag race and buy things for the busa, i thought i would give in and let her have something that she wants. Again thanks for all the feed back. :thumbsup:

Siberian husky/German shepherd mix.....best dog I have ever owned!

5.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

6 (2).jpg

Last edited:
There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners!

Most toy breeds are very protective of one person. It's not because they attach themselves to one person. They are carried around, allowed on laps all the time, ride on people laps in cars. In short, they attach to the person that empowers them to be in a dominant role. It's like having a spoiled child that's never been taught the meaning of the word "no".

Dogs are dogs! Not children. Treat them like a dog, and not a child. Train them, and set boundaries that the dog can NEVER be allowed to cross. This includes everyday activities with them. Every dog needs a pack leader. Even if it's just you and one dog. To a dog two or more is a pack. If you don't maintain the alpha position the dog will.

The right things to do:

Teach the dog come, sit, down, off, leave it, drop it, up, wait, stay, and okay as the basics.
Don't allow the dog to eat from any human plates, or food.
People (pack leaders) eat before the dogs.
Don't allow dogs to beg. Teach them to lay down away from the dinner table while you eat.
Make the "wait" when you put it's food down. The dog shouldn't be allow to eat until you give it a release word like "okay". The dog doesn't own the food. As the pack leader you are letting the dog share your food.
Only allow the dog on furniture that they can be on all of the time. Dogs don't generalize. A couch is not any couch. It's a very specific couch. If you change the couch the rules change with it.
Don't allow a dog to lay or sleep between a couple. If the dog is allowed to sleep closer to your woman than you are, it's like telling the dog that it is more important to the woman than you are!
Don't carry the toys breeds. They have legs and they know how to use them. Those little dogs can move pretty fast, and they have a lot of energy.
Don't "protect" the dog from the world. Have you ever seen a small dog that is always carried around? They shake like their going to explode if they are not being carried. They're not cold. They are having an anxiety attack, and are usually very anti-social to other dogs and people.
Exercise the dog everyday. Walk it for at least 20 minutes a day. You lead, not the dog. If the dog is walking with it's front legs forward of your knees it is leading you!
Crate train the dog. You will all be happier for it. It's a safe haven for the dog (it's den), and it will happily wait there in safety while you are away from home.

I have a good friend that has babied a Fox Terrier for the first year she had it. The dog started acting badly when my friend moved houses. The dog was peeing in every room in her new place. It was also marking everything it could lift a leg toward. She didn't think the dog could be trained to behave. We (me and the dog) spent a few hours breaking bad habits. She set the boundaries for her dog. She never waivers in what the dog is allowed to do. One month later the dog will sit, down, off, wait, fetch, drop it, and come. He's happier because he know she will be his pack leader. The dog doesn't snap at other people for sitting by her anymore, and he has quit marking everything in the house.

Dogs are like a 3 yr old child. You have to be consistent with the rules. The rules NEVER change for basic behaviors. I'm constantly after mine. They are always playful and happy to see me, even if I was only gone for five minutes. Mine are not allowed to roam my house when I'm not there. They have a room that I allow them in, and it has nothing that they could shred. Most dogs will get into things a few minutes after you leave because they are bored. They sleep the rest of the time you're gone, so by the time you get back they forgot what they did and punishing the dog does no good. When I get home I let them out in the yard to burn off the energy that they have been storing all day. They play hard for about 20 minutes to an hour. After that I eat dinner. They are fed after I eat. I play ball with them for at least 30 min.

My dogs aren't small (Springer Spaniel 54 lbs and Lab/Shepard Mix 65 lbs). I recently had them with me in a small house (my Grandma's 1000 sq ft 3/bdrm house). In three days they didn't so much as knock over one plant, and that place looks like an tropical resort.

K.I.S.S. Remember, you are in charge, no the dog. You and your wife need to be seen as leaders to the dog. The dog needs to know that people are not the followers. :rulez:

If you can follow that tidbit you, your wife, and the dog will be just fine. (It's in that order on purpose.)

:beerchug:

Last edited:
There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners!

Most toy breeds are very protective of one person. It's not because they attach themselves to one person. They are carried around, allowed on laps all the time, ride on people laps in cars. In short, they attach to the person that empowers them to be in a dominant role. It's like having a spoiled child that's never been taught the meaning of the word "no".

Dogs are dogs! Not children. Treat them like a dog, and not a child. Train them, and set boundaries that the dog can NEVER be allowed to cross. This includes everyday activities with them. Every dog needs a pack leader. Even if it's just you and one dog. To a dog two or more is a pack. If you don't maintain the alpha position the dog will.

The right things to do:

Teach the dog come, sit, down, off, leave it, drop it, up, wait, stay, and okay as the basics.
Don't allow the dog to eat from any human plates, or food.
People (pack leaders) eat before the dogs.
Don't allow dogs to beg. Teach them to lay down away from the dinner table while you eat.
Make the "wait" when you put it's food down. The dog shouldn't be allow to eat until you give it a release word like "okay". The dog doesn't own the food. As the pack leader you are letting the dog share your food.
Only allow the dog on furniture that they can be on all of the time. Dogs don't generalize. A couch is not any couch. It's a very specific couch. If you change the couch the rules change with it.
Don't allow a dog to lay or sleep between a couple. If the dog is allowed to sleep closer to your woman than you are, it's like telling the dog that it is more important to the woman than you are!
Don't carry the toys breeds. They have legs and they know how to use them. Those little dogs can move pretty fast, and they have a lot of energy.
Don't "protect" the dog from the world. Have you ever seen a small dog that is always carried around? They shake like their going to explode if they are not being carried. They're not cold. They are having an anxiety attack, and are usually very anti-social to other dogs and people.
Exercise the dog everyday. Walk it for at least 20 minutes a day. You lead, not the dog. If the dog is walking with it's front legs forward of your knees it is leading you!
Crate train the dog. You will all be happier for it. It's a safe haven for the dog (it's den), and it will happily wait there in safety while you are away from home.

I have a good friend that has babied a Fox Terrier for the first year she had it. The dog started acting badly when my friend moved houses. The dog was peeing in every room in her new place. It was also marking everything it could lift a leg toward. She didn't think the dog could be trained to behave. We (me and the dog) spent a few hours breaking bad habits. She set the boundaries for her dog. She never waivers in what the dog is allowed to do. One month later the dog will sit, down, off, wait, fetch, drop it, and come. He's happier because he know she will be his pack leader. The dog doesn't snap at other people for sitting by her anymore, and he has quit marking everything in the house.

Dogs are like a 3 yr old child. You have to be consistent with the rules. The rules NEVER change for basic behaviors. I'm constantly after mine. They are always playful and happy to see me, even if I was only gone for five minutes. Mine are not allowed to roam my house when I'm not there. They have a room that I allow them in, and it has nothing that they could shred. Most dogs will get into things a few minutes after you leave because they are bored. They sleep the rest of the time you're gone, so by the time you get back they forgot what they did and punishing the dog does no good. When I get home I let them out in the yard to burn off the energy that they have been storing all day. They play hard for about 20 minutes to an hour. After that I eat dinner. They are fed after I eat. I play ball with them for at least 30 min.

My dogs aren't small (Springer Spaniel 54 lbs and Lab/Shepard Mix 65 lbs). I recently had them with me in a small house (my Grandma's 1000 sq ft 3/bdrm house). In three days they didn't so much as knock over one plant, and that place looks like an tropical resort.

K.I.S.S. Remember, you are in charge, no the dog. You and your wife need to be seen as leaders to the dog. The dog needs to know that people are not the followers. :rulez:

If you can follow that tidbit you, your wife, and the dog will be just fine. (It's in that order on purpose.)

:beerchug:

This is very very sound advice :thumbsup: follow this and you will have a great dog. personally I think that there are no bad dogs only bad owners. I bought a dog for my ex girlfriend (before we split) and she just couldn't break it from its bad habbits well I come to find out she was not listening to me she babied the hell out of the dog carring it, not teaching it commands, letting the dog roam the house, and most NOT crate training bc he was "crying" well I took the dog it took a couple months to break him of his problems and now he is a great dog(I kept the dog after we split) he knows his commands, he doesn't mark in the house, he doesn't cry in his cage anymore, and doesn't run out of the yard anymore which a big deal to me....He is a chihuahua and he doesn't bite and I maybe heard him bark once plus he is great with the family he is around 4 to 6 kids/babies at any given time and doesn't bother them and he loves to play with dogs that are way bigger then he is (small mans complex I think :laugh:) You can train any dog to be a good dog.

what you going to feed him Half a taco nd half of winner.:laugh:.... lol if you happy w/ it go for it.

sounds like your wife wants something that's cute and can be carried around all the time and dressed in clothes. Get her a dole instead. Dogs prefer to be something more than just a fashion item.

My neighbor's dog just had a new litter of Schutzhundie. aka Germanshepard if anyone is interested. They were born just last week so it'll still be a little while until they're ready to go to new homes. :thumbsup:

The pet store by me has some for sale on the bulletion board. If you want Im sure you could call the store and they would give you the number to the people that has them.

Sea Dweller and Friends
(269)665-1966

Im a Rott kinda guy. Mine is the one on the right. His name is Gixxer :thumbsup:the other is his girlfriend lol
KitaandGixxer.jpg

This is some of the females from their last litter. They are six months old in this pic. I kept the one on the far left. Her name is Katana:thumbsup:
I think I might like suzuki alittle to much:beerchug:

DSC03498.jpg

I've had rotties my whole life. great dogs. stubburn but very smart and loyal.

Back