Just a warning for nitrous on 08 busa's

HOLLY $HIET!!!!!! That was a 150 shot, did it lean out, or was that just what happened because of TI valves? ??? Whats your thoughts on spraying a 40 shot, in relation to the 08 " TI valve problem"? I have no air shifter and DONT PLAN :please: on hitting the limiter. Do you think the stock stuff will live? Thx bro

The timing retard box I had failed and advanced back to stock when I needed 10 degrees retard on this shot. The video I posted of me on my 1k was the pass that happened on.

I'm not sure right now about the valves with a 40 shot. I know Lee is shooting a 40 shot on his 08 with the stock valves but he has only sprayed it a few times. My partner in NC who had the shim come loose has a 40 dry on his and the other friend of mine who had a shim come loose has a 60 shot spray bar on his. They both have air shifters so if your not running one and staying out of the rev then you will probably be fine but don't hold me too it. I talked to Lee last night about it and he says "so far so good".

The timing retard box I had failed and advanced back to stock when I needed 10 degrees retard on this shot. The video I posted of me on my 1k was the pass that happened on.

I'm not sure right now about the valves with a 40 shot. I know Lee is shooting a 40 shot on his 08 with the stock valves but he has only sprayed it a few times. My partner in NC who had the shim come loose has a 40 dry on his and the other friend of mine who had a shim come loose has a 60 shot spray bar on his. They both have air shifters so if your not running one and staying out of the rev then you will probably be fine but don't hold me too it. I talked to Lee last night about it and he says "so far so good".

Right on man, Thanks :beerchug: PLEASE keep me/us updated on any short commings of the stock 08-09 valve train that you hear of?......Thx again!

Ti rods? $$$$$$

Aluminum rods are best for the ultimate in HP applications.. they flex and compress adsorbing some of the hit that will break cranks.. when a motor makes 12-16HP per cu in, you find weak stuff pretty fast... The down side is they work harden and are worthless for street apps or road racing...

Last edited:
Ti rods? $$$$$$

Aluminum rods are best for the ultimate in HP applications.. they flex and compress adsorbing some of the hit that will break cranks.. when a motor makes 12-16HP per cu in, you find weak stuff pretty fast... The down side is they work harden and are worthless for street apps or road racing...

Totally agree with you biscuit, with the above statement i made, i was just trying to clarify what was being said....that "ti" was not good to run? I wasn't and still really am NOT to sure about all this, not calling "ANYONE" a liar(so please dont flame me here, dont want to go down that road again) But personally think that the problem lies more in "keepers" & "spring psi" then the actual valve itself. Guess we will see......

Totally agree with you biscuit, with the above statement i made, i was just trying to clarify what was being said....that "ti" was not good to run? I wasn't and still really am NOT to sure about all this, not calling "ANYONE" a liar(so please dont flame me here, dont want to go down that road again) But personally think that the problem lies more in "keepers" & "spring psi" then the actual valve itself. Guess we will see......
they are good questions :) but no fixed answer across the board.. different motor uses need different alloys for the same parts..

A good forged steel rod is the best for a long life motor IMO and can not be bested for a saturday night racer that might see street time...

Every motor part must endure certain forces and abuse.. different metals and alloys handle those stresses differently.. Most often, the strongest material is NOT the best..

I was asking about the issues of the Ti valve on a light nitrous load (heavy nitrous or forced induction are a different motor and I would only use stainless intakes /and/or inconel exhaust due to heat and pressures..

I would use titanium retainers and steel keepers on any of them.. Our "big" pony motors used aluminum retainers and steel keepers.. (they come apart every second or third pass)

I am putting a 40 shot dry on my 08 this winter. I also have a MPS auto air shifter set at 10200rpm. I raced this bike all season with no problems and can't belive a 40 dry shot will cause such a major problem. There must be some more input from the dry shot dealers such as Schnitz and MPS. Any one?
Every one likes pic's

DSC_0074.jpg

IMG.jpg

Another friend of mine named GT Tonglet (who also rode for Harley Davidson's drag team) had his valve to let go this pass weekend. He had a 40 shot spraybar. We were talking earlier in the day and I had told him about the valve problem and he was saying how he hasn't had any issues and he had been spraying his bike all year. While we were talking he said after this race he would go ahead and replace his springs since this was his last race of the year. He almost made it. His last pass of the night the valve dropped. It didn't give any warning it just happened. So I'm just telling everyone to be carefull cause you never know when this will happen. If you can go ahead and have the stronger springs installed if your spraying just to be on the safe side cause its going to be more expensive to fix than what it will cost to have those springs installed. Cheap insurance.

You don't need big shots with weak springs to make a mess of expensive headwork.

This was a 60 shot (dry) on a ZX12R using 65lb springs. This is what happens at 12k rpm when one retainer slips out and you drop a valve.

head.jpg

You don't need big shots with weak springs to make a mess of expensive headwork.

This was a 60 shot (dry) on a ZX12R using 65lb springs. This is what happens at 12k rpm when one retainer slips out and you drop a valve.

head.jpg

Were'nt ZX12s known for have small buckets that would spit shims? Seen a few of them install Hayabusa springs and shim buckets to counter act that problem.

You can also use the 07 steel valves if you want to replace the Ti valves so you can use a heavier spring. You have to be carefull and not use too heavy a spring on the Ti valves.

Back