My experience at the Texas Mile October '08...

Got-Busa?

Donating Member
Registered
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post up some quick pics and info telling my experience at the Texas Mile. First of all HAD A BLAST! Probably one of the most fun things I’ve ever done in my life and definitely the top racing event. I can’t tell people enough that there is just nothing like it, NOTHING!

First off, the people! At most race events people are usually quiet to help and don’t want to offer any secrets. It’s like anything else with the exception of a few most want to be quicker than you or beat you in a race. It sure wasn’t that way at Texas. I’ve never been to any of the other LSR events but I can tell you at the Texas Mile EVERYONE was completely awesome. People just coming up to say hello or offer some tips after a run. Great people and great fun!

I’m bad with names but everyone thank you for your help and support. It was my first time out and at no time did anyone make me feel like a newbie. Thank you everyone that was there and helped out. Even a few people on here (V8Pinto, JohnnyCheese, ZXALAN, Brock and MANY others) for tips and info on finishing the safety wire, tech stuff and making passes.

THANK YOU!

On with the pics (veterans skip the first few)….

Safety wiring is VERY easy as long as you do it "correctly". The key is to take your time and do it right the first time. You need to drill at the correct speed of the bit. It doesn't do any good to run the drill as fast as possible if the bit isn't designed to cut that fast. Drill it nice and slow with varying pressure AND most importantly a few drops of oil every couple of seconds. If the bolt and bit get to hot it will just frustrate you because it won't cut and you'll start snapping bits. Take your time and cut it slowly and it will go through like butter. It took us about 35-minutes to do all the bolts once we figured this out.

How the safety wire needs to look on the front forks and pinch bolts....
DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

I drilled the rear axle on the 08 but now have to find a castle nut....
DSC_0206.jpg

Oil cap....
DSC_0203.jpg

Oil plug....
DSC_0207.jpg

Oil filter (K&N comes pre-drilled for safety wire)....
DSC_0210-1.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

I planned on taking pics the entire time for a step-by-step install but forgot until I had already reassembled the bike...

Also a THANK YOU to Guy at Tiger Racing. He sent me a free metal chain guard when I was deployed over seas. It fit perfectly, looks great on the bike, and most importantly is safer than the cheap OEM plastic guard. I'll get some pics of it up since I have since powder coated it Black...

....and that's pretty much it for tech and safety on the bike.

What you'll get if done correctly....
PICT0071.jpg

Now with my runs....

I wasn't expecting much because it was my first time out and I didn't want to be disappointed. I was thinking 170-ish first time out BUT really didn't know what I'd run being 6' 2" 225lbs. without gear.

Saturday morning early getting unloaded...
PICT0060.jpg

Finishing up the prep and cleaning her before I installed the numbers...
PICT0062.jpg

Ahhh.....the fastest color gleaming off the sun... (sorry had to add that in here)
PICT0063.jpg

Installing the numbers...
PICT0064.jpg

Getting ready to head out for MY first pass...
PICT0065.jpg

Waiting in line to run (later in the day)...
PICT0069.jpg

My VERY FIRST run I couldn't have been happier and I was pretty shocked really....
PICT0066.jpg

What the GPS read...
PICT0067.jpg

It felt good to make my goal on the very first pass but like anyone else, I now wanted to go even faster....
PICT0078.jpg

After my first pass of 179mph, I took off the factory seat and tried a few other things. The bike felt a little better with the lower seat but I accidentally double shifted 6th on my second pass which slowed me to 177mph.

By then I had received some help from a few people and decided to go ahead and lower the bike and remove the stock mufflers to save weight. I went ahead and dropped the bike 2"s with Brock's Performance lowering kit and removed the 30lbs. of exhaust. It sounded like I had a race bike then even though it was completely stock performance wise... :lol:

Third pass was later in the day and wind had picked up. It felt good and rock steady the entire run being lowered but I could feel the wind up top. The last run of the day on Saturday had me pulling 178mph...

Sunday, started out beautiful and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.
First pass off the truck had me running my fastest time of the weekend on a completely STOCK 2008 Hayabusa....
PICT0082.jpg

"ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY TWO POINT TWO SIX FIVE MILES PER HOUR!"
PICT0083.jpg

I tried a few things after that but just couldn't get it going any quicker. The wind had also picked up a bit so I knew I probably wouldn't go any quicker. Not to mention my family and I were all very tired and had a 3+ hour drive home to work early Monday morning...

I hope this gets more people to come join the fun. It's not like anything else and TONS more fun than 1/4-mile drag racing.

It's hard to describe but in drag racing you punch it for a 1/4-mile and then shut down. In one mile you are just getting started at that point, shift into the next gear head down and keep running hear out for all she's got as you slowly pass the markers 1/2.....shifting into 6th gear.....3/4.....still holding her wide open as the needle has been pegged for some time only watching the tach now.....and then finally you blast past the 1-mile board.....

Plenty of room to shut down on a stock bike. Ease off the gas, let the engine decel for a second and then lightly apply brakes. By then you are in the 150's and can slowly poke your head up. You still have a half mile to slow down and a 2,000 ft. overrun if you need more than that. Great track (runway) and very smooth with no problems. A few pebbles on the taxi ways but nothing major.

I better get going.....THANK YOU to my wife and family, I can't wait to get back out and go for 200mph at the next event as the modifications begin.... :cheers:

AWESOME TIME GUYS, IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT DOING IT....PLEASE COME OUT AND I'LL HELP YOU ANY WAY I CAN.... :beerchug:

LINK to all of my pics: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Password is: TEXASMILE

Man that sounds like a blast!
How often do they hold this event...do I have to wait until next year?

I've got the fast color too!

DSC00015.jpg

Excellent narrative! This write-up makes me aspire to participate in that event one day. Congratulations :beerchug:

very nice write up on your first experience LS racing... I bet you inspire a couple to load up the bikes :)

I bet that mile seemed pretty long the first pass :)

Now what went on your list for the bike on your next trip? :whistle:

I've been trying to get my wife talked into letting me go...... maybe next year. Got to get some money together, those leather suits aren't cheap $$$. Thanks for the pics I had been wondering. Also I noticed on the site that you are supposed to silicone the chain? what do they mean? And good job on the runs!

THANKS everyone! :beerchug:

Man that sounds like a blast!
How often do they hold this event...do I have to wait until next year?

I've got the fast color too!

This was the last event of the year. You'll have to wait until next year to run. They haven't posted the new dates but they should have one in March and then again later. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered more than two a year now since they only allow 160-racers and they were full with a waiting list for the first time at the Oct meet.

very nice write up on your first experience LS racing... I bet you inspire a couple to load up the bikes :)

I bet that mile seemed pretty long the first pass :)

Now what went on your list for the bike on your next trip? :whistle:

I hope more people come out. It's the best way to run wide open without the risk on the street and find out TRUE speeds. To many people quoting speedo readings and we all know they aren't even close to being correct.... :banghead:

I've got lots of goodies planned but most importantly will be using a Brock's Alien head exhaust system... :thumbsup:

I've been trying to get my wife talked into letting me go...... maybe next year. Got to get some money together, those leather suits aren't cheap $$$. Thanks for the pics I had been wondering. Also I noticed on the site that you are supposed to silicone the chain? what do they mean? And good job on the runs!

Gear is very important, you want to be protected if anything goes wrong... :thumbsup:

Silicone the chain I believe is for the older bikes and chains. If you are running a BUSA, all of the OEM chains meet the safety requirements for the chain. The only thing I would get is a Tiger Racing metal chain guard... :thumbsup:

I'm glad you had such a good time :thumbsup:

LSR events are like no other. It's still very "grass roots" and everyone is friendly with everyone. Also, like you mentioned with LSR you really feel the rush of speed when you're hanging on at wide open throttle for a mile or even more. :bowdown:

I wish I didn't live so far from Texas. I would really like to make it out there at least once.

Great write up! I plan on making the event in 09. Running a 1/4 mile is fun, but the mile run is what I really want to try. Congrats bro. maybe you can give me some helpful advice next year.:thumbsup: Great job.:cheerleader:

Thanks everyone! :beerchug: If I can be of any help in getting you started or going to TEXAS MILE, let me know. It's worth the preparation attend and compete at an event like this... :thumbsup:

Back