Radiator Guard

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Noticed BusaCruise ("H") had a SS screen guard over his radiator on a recent ride. I saw one on e-bay and it was $75.00.

Anybody seen them for less or know of a do-it-yourself mod?

Vic, you wanna' start doing these too?

LOL... Dude, I think we talked about that when I was riding w/ you guys... Home Depot. Screen... Paint... U R Dun
cool.gif

I used some of this stainless steel hardware cloth (#8 mesh)
The wires are very thick and strong. The holes are small enough to keep even tiny rocks etc out, but does not hinder airflow. (window screen is too fine and too weak)
You can cut it to fit over the oil cooler too.
The first year, I used 1 sticky sided weather stripping to run around the edges, so it doesn't touch the rad fins.
If it does it will wear a hole in them.
The second year I used plasti - dip (the stuff that you dip your tools into and it gives a rubber coating to the tool handle) for the edges.
I used the stock horn mounting bolts to hold the top and then slip ties to hold the bottom and sides to the rad, and fairing.
You can make it fit side to side touching the fairing, and nothing will get through on the sides.
Today was my last ride for the winter so I will take some pics of it on and post them, when I start tearing her down for maintenance in a couple of weeks.

DSC00398.jpg

I did mine with screen that I purchased from Lowes to do my fairing screens for 25 bucks. I sized it to fit the radiator, cut it out, and then I fitted the screen and glued it to the raidiator top and bottom. I don't know if it will hold up but I will keep you guys posted.:laugh:

SD530118.JPG

SD530119.JPG

SD530117.JPG

SD530116.JPG

Just in the middle of some maintenance and have the pics I said I would post.
I didn't really like the way the 58 cycle types were mounted, or the strength of the screen, and they didn't seem to give full coverage. JMO
If you do it like the way I have, be sure to have the screen stand off from the rad (don't let it touch it anywhere) as it could wear the rad. I used ½ inch wide rubber weatherstrip, in the places that it would touch.
This hardware cloth is super strong.
Properly mounted, it has strained out a lot of stuff, even birds, from my truck rad.

DSC00671_edited.JPG

DSC00673_edited.JPG

Back