Looking for Restoration Ideas

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, sportsfans, I am getting in the mood to do some bike restoration work (like I have nothing better to do). Have kicked around the idea of getting an old school bike, but not sure which one. Have seen a couple threads discussing some old GS series bikes and I think that's what I want to start with. The problem is which year and model? I'm kind of intrigued by the '83 GS 1100 series bikes (regular and Katana version). Also like the 82 GS 750. So, I turn to all of you to help me decide what year/make/model should I choose with the constraint of being between 1980 and 1983? I'm not lucky enough to find a $350 project like some (standiggity :whistle:), so this is more of a long term project. Thanks in advance.

I don't know man but it's got me wanting to do the samething. I'll be watching your progress cause I KNOW your gonna keep us up to date. RIGHT?

good luck:beerchug:

I don't know man but it's got me wanting to do the samething. I'll be watching your progress cause I KNOW your gonna keep us up to date. RIGHT?

good luck:beerchug:

Definitely will. Just gotta figure out what bike.

Scour the papers and craigslist for the lowest priced complete bike and see what you can make of it..

How about a SIX! 79 thru 82

12cylSmall.jpg

Scour the papers and craigslist for the lowest priced complete bike and see what you can make of it..

There are lots out there, but I would like to get something with some power.

Know very little about Hondas and their reliability. Have only owned Suzukis, so that's what I was leaning towards. May check them out though. ???

As for reliability, my 79 has 50,000 miles on it and the 82 just turned over 90,000 miles w/o the motors being apart. Tires, brakes, chains and fluids are about the only things I do for them. BTW, they still run the quarter in the mid 11s and with stock gearing, top out around 140.

Last edited:
You can't beat Honda for reliability on just about anything they make. When you see it you will know what you want though. :beerchug:

I know some one that has my old Katana!
He doesn't ride and might be willing to sell it!

1983-suzuki-katana-1100-01.jpg

I did a 75 Kawasaki 500 2-stroke triple last winter - came out real nice. Looking for another project for this winter. Some bikes are harder than others to find parts for.

Man, I'd love to have one of those triples. That was back in my day. They were awsome and were the fastest thing in my oppinion back then even though someone will surely disagree! The 750 kawa tripple was bad to the bone but couldn't keep the frontend down at the dragstrip. Do yourself a favor and find one that is running. I found out that the salvage yards are really proud of parts for those older bikes. Good luck and have fun. I did with the 82 550l that i fixed up.

If it was yours though there's nothing wrong with it and I wouldn't have any restoration! Kind of defeats the purpose. I would be interested though. Also interested in your thoughts on the bike itself.

I did a 75 Kawasaki 500 2-stroke triple last winter - came out real nice. Looking for another project for this winter. Some bikes are harder than others to find parts for.

That's another big concern. Haven't done a lot of research, but see there are lots of parts (complete motors and carbs, particularly) for the 80-83 model bikes.

Man, I'd love to have one of those triples. That was back in my day. They were awsome and were the fastest thing in my oppinion back then even though someone will surely disagree! The 750 kawa tripple was bad to the bone but couldn't keep the frontend down at the dragstrip. Do yourself a favor and find one that is running. I found out that the salvage yards are really proud of parts for those older bikes. Good luck and have fun. I did with the 82 550l that i fixed up.

Thanks, as long as I don't rush to get stuff done I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

As for reliability, my 79 has 50,000 miles on it and the 82 just turned over 90,000 miles w/o the motors being apart. Tires, brakes, chains and fluids are about the only things I do for them. BTW, they still run the quarter in the mid 11s and with stock gearing, top out around 140.

Good to know information.

If you want to stay Pre GS1150 and do it on a budget then the 83 GS1100E (or ES) is about as good as it gets. If you are lucky enough to find a 1983 Katana 1100 you'd be in heaven!

img_1135r01_l.jpg

I think I might have found what you are lookin for or maybe not. I know it's a kawi but a very rare one that would be worth alot when finished. I found it on ebay, item #300265840493 It's priced kinda high but he has everything there to restore it.:beerchug:

Back