Switchback led towers!

Great mod everyone, I'm going to follow in your footsteps.

Which switchback model LED bulb did you guys get?  I notice a 1157, 3157 and 7440 on the Autolumination site.

Also I notice that Autolumination also sells the wiring socket for $3.49/each to save the trouble if you don't have a set.

Also any reason not to go to a 48 LED model?  Any Sizing problems?

Great mod everyone, I'm going to follow in your footsteps.

Which switchback model LED bulb did you guys get?  I notice a 1157, 3157 and 7440 on the Autolumination site.

Also I notice that Autolumination also sells the wiring socket for $3.49/each to save the trouble if you don't have a set.

Also any reason not to go to a 48 LED model?  Any Sizing problems?
1157 led bulb.

Not sure on how their sockets will match up. If you go to the parts store and look atthe different 1157 sockets you will notice a difference. The Chevy(76 to 84) is the closest match to the Busa socket housing.

As far as the 48led towers. Not sure how they would fit. In my pic is the 20 and you can see their brightness. 30 would be brighter. But lets face it you aren't using them to light your way. The 20 is by far brighter then a regular 1157 bulb which was bright enough. IMO it's just bragging rights or greater sense of security by going brighter. The 48 has the same claim to fit in standard housing as the other two.

48's only $12 more then the 20's. That is $12 taken away from my next mod where a few extra $$ has importance like good lowering links vs Cheap ones etc...
laugh.gif

BTW some socket housing might need modded to fit the LED bulb. The bulb base is wide and hits the top of the socket housing. Shaving the top of the housing corrects this. Very minor issue. When you get the bulb you will notice it only have like 3 little solder spots holding it together. Is strong,but won't take being forced for sure.

My advice is to buy Rear Busa sockets(1157) to make you life easier.

I used the 30 led towers, with no problem, as stated, im not sure that the 48's would fit either!

Anybody got extra sockets I can get? PM me if you have 2 and I'll take them off your hands

Re: Switchback led towers!

If anyone is interested I was able to install the 48 LED switchbacks without any problem. Not sure if they add much more light (haven't run smaller sizes) but you should be fine sticking with 20-30LED versions.

Also installed a Clear Alternatives rear integrated setup and used the rear sockets for the front, with front sockets going to back to seal the assembly even without being wired.

Thanks for this thread for the great mod.

been wanting to do this one for a while and just pulled the trigger...now i just have to find my rear sockets from the undertail install :laugh: thanks for the info everyone :beerchug:

Hey Semi if you want my sockets they are yours.. I'm going with a full led tail light and will not be needing mine..

Sending you a pm..

I am also going to do the switch backs after seeing this pic.. Ted (Powers739) in front w/switchbacks me behind him w/std 1157 silver stars..

pic taken by skydiver

IMG_4097 (Large).jpg

Hey Semi if you want my sockets they are yours.. I'm going with a full led tail light and will not be needing mine..

Sending you a pm..

I am also going to do the switch backs after seeing this pic.. Ted (Powers739) in front w/switchbacks me behind him w/std 1157 silver stars..

pic taken by skydiver

thanks bro...i got your pm and will let you know if i can't find mine...i have been looking at this for a while and think i am going to be very happy with the results...you know me, i went with the 48's- the more light out front the happier i am...one more thing to catch oncoming driver's eyes so they don't make me total out their vehicle with my head :laugh:

Last edited:

Hey doyle if semi doesn't need em can you send em my way :please:

Hey doyle if semi doesn't need em can you send em my way :please:

I'll trade the sockets for the cf scoops.. :poke: :laugh:

Of course, I'll hook you up.. Semi says he thinks he has some already but just needs to find them.

Hey wait a minute I thought you already had this mod done? ???

I'll trade the sockets for the cf scoops.. :poke: :laugh:

Of course, I'll hook you up.. Semi says he thinks he has some already but just needs to find them.

Hey wait a minute I thought you already had this mod done? ???

scoops are cemented in :laugh:
I do, but I have another project I'm try'n to make work.

i just ordered mine. i hope those gm 62-30 fits 1 1/8" hole sockets they have on there site fit well without too much modding. i'm not to sure about a relay or not, but i know someone suggested it because of the frequent flashing. ???

i just ordered mine. i hope those gm 62-30 fits 1 1/8" hole sockets they have on there site fit well without too much modding. i'm not to sure about a relay or not, but i know someone suggested it because of the frequent flashing. ???
Cool!

please keep us updated on the gm sockets. I too want to do this mod. my switchbacks have been sittings on me desk for a week. I don't want to keep on buying sockets only to find they don't fit. trying to find some solid ground on which sockets work without tearing apart the housings to a serious extent.

thanks! you can count me in on sockets if anyone wants to donate some. I'll gladly reimburse anyone for their sockets. thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back