Car Vaporizing Horn install

2hip

Registered
Let me just say I had a great time with this install. Thanks for all the help from Org. members. I hope I can contribute to someone now with how I did my install. I must be from the "show me state" in another lifetime...I want to state that my install is a little unorthodox in location. Time will tell if there will be a heat issue. What I did was place the horn horizontally. The Nautilus Air horn instructions said to mount it vertically. One org. member pointed it out with actual pics of the install web page. But I thought to myself..well at least one of the voices in my head brought up the topic.."Why does it need to be vertical? It is not like a refridge unit, or a mercury float switch...so that is what I did. See previous air horn install by org. member for how he modified the horn. This horn is way too big to put under there.
1. pic of under the tank, behind the engine, on top of tranny.
2. pic of air compressor laying behind engine horizontal (I tested horn multiple times in horizontal position.
3. pic of air compressor wrapped in insulation, wrapped in 4 layers of aluminum foil for heat protection...this is the big question that will be answered in time...will the heat cook the compressor??????
4. pic of relay...thanks guys for the help. 2 green wires go to front of bike and plug into the old wiring harness for horn. Doesn't matter if you switch them..won't hurt anything. these wires trigger the event when horn button is pressed. These are 18 guage. They close the pole in the relay and allow the 12 guage hot wire to send a heavier load to the compressor. I really like the heavy compressor low in the bike and centered in the bike instead of behind the lights and in the front of the bike...puppy probably weighs 2 lbs.
2 red wires...one goes to positive pole of battery...the other to the pos pole of battery. These are 12 guage wires. Maybe overkill...but that is just me.
5. pic of ground wire (also red 12 guage) to grounded screw that also has ground strap to negative pole of battery.
6. pic of green wires from harness plugged into wiring harness of horn before I taped the poo out of it.
7. pic of homemade bracket from some sort of curtain hanging project. I might change this later if it vibrates too much.
8. pic of mounted horn above radiator...can see nipple of horn and vacumn hose attached.

Don't use this horn in the garage with your dog there...He is a big German Sheppard and this was his immediate rxn....This is one friggin loud horn and I hope it wakes up the young girls who are trying to talk on the cell, eat Krispy Kream, and doing their eyebrows while they drive...:banghead: 2hip

DSC02989.JPG

DSC02990.JPG

DSC02991.JPG

DSC02992.JPG

DSC02996.JPG

DSC02993.JPG

DSC02998.JPG

DSC02999.JPG

DSC03002.JPG

DSC01537.jpg

3. pic of air compressor wrapped in insulation, wrapped in 4 layers of aluminum foil for heat protection...this is the big question that will be answered in time...will the heat cook the compressor??????
And its not just the compressor you should worry about.... that relay is also something to be concerned about, being located in the blistering hot engine bay.

These are 12 guage wires. Maybe overkill...but that is just me.

No, no, it's not overkill, believe me. The Stebel Air Horn pulls some noteworthy amperage.... I used this gauge wire myself for all three heavy-duty electrical draw items I have installed: Stebel horn, Warm-N-Safe vest, and the Hella HID aux lamps.

Nice job on your air horn install. :agree:

Most impressive is it's ability to vaporize cages. Nice!

Very nicely done, yo. Impressive work. :beerchug:

Toxic, his name is Maximus...but most of the time it morphed to maxi-moo and lately it is just moo-moo...My daughter lives in s. cal and we had dinner the other night while she was up visiting...they have a dog with a Hawaiian name and somehow their dogs name morphed to mow-mow....we were all laughing so hard. By the way Toxic...aren't these relays made to take the heat of engine? What is your recommend for protecting...what product do you recommend..my dear mechanic...ha ha ...2hip

aren't these relays made to take the heat of engine?
I should have added that my comments about relay heat really only pertains to the common chinese-made relays you can pick up at Rat Shack, Schucks, etc.

There are three (3) different brands of relays that I know will do fairly well in the engine bay, but they are not inexpensive, and are not usually found at Shucks or Rat Shack, etc.

The three brands are: Hella, Bosch and Mitsubishi. I've used them all; the Bosch are a favorite due to their small size... less than 1/2 the size of the relay you are using in your above photo.

Back