240 kit project (nightmare)

redeye93

Registered
Well about 8 weeks ago, I finally got the funds together to order my 240 kit for the busa. After spending a couple months checking out all the options, I decided on the Trac Dynamics kit with Carrozzeria satin black wheels. I wanted to continue my stealth vibe I had going, so I wasn't looking to go the 'bling' or contrast cut route. I got with Dave here on the boards and placed my order.

Four weeks later, my kit arrived. I made the appointment with my local shop to get it installed along with some other goodies (Vortex rearsets, lowering links, and triple clamp). They were booked up so it took me 2 weeks to get it in the shop. I dropped it off and a few days later, I get that dreaded call! Well, my wonderful '08 Galfer rear rotor does not fit the new rim! It's a different bolt pattern! Ugghhh...I immediately get on the phone to Trac Dynamics to figure out the next step.

It seems that the rim they sent was an '07 model rim. So last week, we find out that they don't have an '08 240 rim to fit my rotor! Matt from Trac Dynamics was very helpful as we worked through this. He said no problem and sent me a rotor that would fit the '07 bolt pattern, but with the right '08 diameter. The next day, I get another call from my guy at the shop and he says, "guess what?!?!" Oh no...the front rim isn't the same bolt pattern either! OMG not my Galfer front rotors too!!!! I get back on the phone with Matt and we find out that there is an '08 front rim with the correct bolt pattern and he'd order it and get it out to me asap. My guy takes the tire back off and boxes up the front rim for me to ship back. I popped it in the mail last Thursday.

So let's recap...
4 weeks on the arrival of the kit
2 weeks waiting for appointment day
1 week in the shop fiddling around
1 week so far waiting for front rim to come in :banghead:

The last 7 days in Alabama has been 75-80 and sunny. All I want to do is ride. :please: They shipped the rotor last week Tuesday and it got here today (Monday). I was hoping for the same for the rim. I called Matt today (he's probably tired of hearing from me :deadhorse:), but OMG he hasn't received it yet. At this point, my pessimism has gotten the best of me and I'm thinking I won't see this rim until next week.

The forecast for the next few days here...

If I'm right, that would make 9 weeks total for this project and 3 weeks without my bike. OMG priority shipping FTW please! :rofl:

Dave...Matt I love you boys but dayum!!!! Help a brotha out! I would absolutely love not to miss another club ride this weekend! :poke:

Moral of the story...if you were looking to get this kit with Carrozzeria rims, heads up and make sure to get this stuff ironed out before they're shipped. I have a few teaser pics that have gotten me by the last 10 days or so. She's almost there. What you guys think?

Oh, last thing, it seems the rear brake line is too long. Any ideas on how I could tidy that up right by the rearset in the last pic. Thanks!

240 shot 1.jpg

240 shot 2.jpg

240 shot 3.jpg

I waited 15 weeks from order to getting all for my 330 kit. Love those wheels. For the longer brake line....run the line off the brake calp toward the back of the bike and loop it down to ontop/or under the arm and run to your cylinder. The loop toward the back will take up some inches.:beerchug:

I need to know where did you get the swingarm bolt covers in black with the hayabusa cut in it? I have bar ends, swingarm spools, brake caps top tree bolt cover and exhaust plug with it but couldn't find the swingarm bolt cover!:please:

What a bummer, I hate waiting on parts. Seems like mis-ships and backorders are a common thing in the motorcycle industry.

Dang, I hate to hear about the problems. This is one reason I will wait for colder weather to do any serious mods. At least then I won't miss ride time.

god i know what you mean.. and i still have not been able to get my rear caliper straight... but it looks good!

man that sucks... that's why i went straight to the source... no waiting around for me... 12 hour service 300 KIT and more...:thumbsup:

Update:

The front rim I've been waiting for should be here Wednesday. Hopefully, I can get her back in action this weekend.

Just talked to Dave at Trac Dynamics and it's all squared away. Hopefully, I get to ride this weekend! :cheerleader:

Just FYI for this kit (if I understood him correctly)...

There is a correct '08 front rim that uses the correct 08 bolt pattern. The 240 rear is a universal 18x8.5 which is right for the 08, but bolt pattern used is earlier GSXR and Hayabusa which requires a different rotor for the rear (which is included in the kit).

Just wanted to pass along the info for anyone interested in the kit.

Last edited:
I feel your frustration. Take a deep breath, and relax. When it's all said and done, your bike will be SWEET!

One of the pix made me cringe more than the others. Using a hemostat to clamp off a line is not cool. It was standard operating procedure back in the day, but not today.

If that line is compressed for several days, I'd demand a replacement. It's compromised when compressed like that.

Post pix when it's all done, it's going to be some real nice eye candy!

I will stop by the shop tomorrow and check on it. I don't remember seeing it on there last week when I dropped off my rear rotor, but I'll check for it tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

Now why is the rear brake line pinched with surgical pinches?
to keep the brake system from "gravity" draining while apart.. the hose should be pretty durable as it is new and a non pressure line.. i would not get to excited about it being pinched unless it holds the pinch a day or 2 after being released.. If the hose was a year or 3 old, it might be a different story..

Sorry for your headaches but hey that is all part of "customizing" a new bike..

You are lucky the shop is working with you on this... In my shop, I would not install customer parts for these very issues.. I tie up floor space for stuff I have no control over and start loosing money on it..

:thumbsup: on your shop selection.. you got very lucky on that count..

Get a stock length braided rear line. It'll work. I want to do a 240 kit in the future to my 06'Busa. Already have the hookup.

If the brake system is uncapped I would also make sure that they replace the brake fluid. All of it. Brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air. This reduces the effectiveness and life of the fluid. Another old method of bleeding new lines was to leave the cap off the resevoir with a cable tie around the lever overnight. Not good since 12 or more hours of absorbing moisture drastically reduces the hydraulic properties of the system. This is the rear brake so it isn't as big of a deal, but be aware.

Hi',
I'm not sure what you mean it looks too long? I just purchased Galfer lines' they pre cut-mine colored.. I can't stand the rubber' your bike looks hot! all good, tight curves, etc. I'm in California so right now I'm more concerned with getting rid of the "cats" I also have slip on's, R-77 Carbon look' Nice but.... Horse P is king. I spent a bunch on those slip on's when I first got it so I dont want to part with them so fast.. I like the two pipe look, plus it ballances out the big beast' A co. sells a 4--1-2 = $1600 bucks! Im gonna find a cut artist for the cats out'' Nobody wants a fine... I even have the pipes off, idea is to have the blockage removed, rewelded and the slip ons miged on as well at the final. If I knew I could pour something nasty inside the pipes an melt out the cat I would myself.. At least here in Calif it looks like they want to move towards smoggin these... Maybe 09? Hmmmm.... Anyone have any proceedure to pull off this rear air canister?? Hey' Your bike looks smoking.. Really sleek... Have a good one.

H

Back