Super Duke vs Hypermotard

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone been on a SuperDuke?
Went to a KTM showroom this weekend, interesting bike.

Looks like a similar bike to a Duc Hypermotard, EXCEPT...
the Hypermotard has about 89 hp while the Duke is sitting around 122

All other things seem very similar, Marchesini wheels, brembo brakes, tubular steel frames, price...

If the Duc hypermotard is all that...virtually the same bike plus another 35 horses should be :bowdown:

pointlesswithoutpics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm just kinda wondering, the KTM designers are getting 35 hp from a smaller engine.

I'm wondering if it's buzzy or peaky or what.

The article I read said the super duke was just ever so slightly this side of insanity.

They got a demo bike at the dealers :whistle:

Anyone been on a SuperDuke?
Went to a KTM showroom this weekend, interesting bike.

Looks like a similar bike to a Duc Hypermotard, EXCEPT...
the Hypermotard has about 89 hp while the Duke is sitting around 122

All other things seem very similar, Marchesini wheels, brembo brakes, tubular steel frames, price...

If the Duc hypermotard is all that...virtually the same bike plus another 35 horses should be :bowdown:

looks like the duc has a significantly larger rake? or am I seeing things?

Here's a shot of my 07. It's a really great bike, fantastic commuter, but just not powerful enough for me anymore. It only puts out 112rwhp and I'm getting a bit bored with that - It does handle and change direction better than anything I've ridden though.

I rode my friend's Hypermotard on a 200km breakfast run and a track session - It has more low-midrange torque than mine, but after that it just dies, doesn't stand a chance. His dyno'd (same dyno as mine) at 86hp, very disappointing. Just remember that the HM engine is air-cooled compared to the water-cooled SD...

The HM's handling, while good, didn't come close to the Superduke, my buddy actually agreed with me too. It feels heavier (???) and harder to turn, then falls into the corner, almost with a feel of tucking. This was the standard model, maybe the "S" is better, but for the price?

All in all, the SD is a better bike and is also about 40% cheaper than the standard HM, where I am (South Africa), so a no-brainer.
Getting hold of accessories and parts is a bloody pain though...

That earlier pic is of the Superduke R - The 2008 model makes more power than the standard (I think about 10hp), and has better (read; more track-orientated) suspension. Rode one, crazy hard seat, amazing suspension but not appreciably quicker than mine...

Superduke001.jpg

Last edited:
Back