My neighbors hate me; storms rolled through...

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
Some strong storms rolled through KC this evening. Kids were supposed to have soccer practice, but that got called because of lightning. So, we didn't have any dinner planned, we decided to order pizza... Well, we're on the phone, placing the order and the power drops! No big deal...except, Dominos power went out, too! Turns out that the entire town is out! This was at 6:18 p.m.

After a few minutes and we find out how widespread the outage is, I head outside after the heavy rain and hail subsides. I fire up my generator. I hard-wired a plug so I can power my house via the generator... I transfer power over and have now been on generator since...

I get word that power is coming back on, so I head outside to unhook the generator when my neighbors kids tell me to go down the street and take a look...

Ughhh - looks like our neighborhood will be without power for a while. Two power poles are leaning - one is snapped - and the other has lines across the street...

Anyway, I have power, plenty of gas to last through the night...I'm kicking back watching TV...my neighbors aren't too happy with me; they are all still in the dark...

CIMG5447.JPG

CIMG5448.JPG

CIMG5449.JPG

ha nice i've been meaning to pick up a generator for sits like this i guess i'll just wait untill after hurricane season they're always rediculously cheap a few months after

thats in the plans for the next house for sure :thumbsup:

you *could* go and invite them over to watch a movie or somethin :whistle:

just sayin :poke::rofl:

:lol::rofl: Man I love that. I've been wanting to do that exact samething. Have a plug hardwired to the breaker box so all I have to do is what you did.:thumbsup: My wife always thought that was a LITTLE extreme. NOT NOW:cheerleader: You just put me one step closer:beerchug::bowdown:

What I would really like is a natural gas powered standby generator with auto-transfer switch. Power goes out, generator fires up and transfers the load. Then when utility power is restored, power will transfer back and generator shuts off. ;)

Power is still out. Another line of storms is developing and rolling through...

Last edited:
What I would really like is a natural gas powered standby generator with auto-transfer switch. Power goes out, generator fires up and transfers the load. Then when utility power is restored, power will transfer back and generator shuts off. ;)

Power is still out. Another line of storms is developing and rolling through...

I've seen those. the ones I saw were around 20k:banghead:

I've seen those. the ones I saw were around 20k:banghead:

Yeah, depending on the brand and power output, they can get pricey. I've seen some 13 kw, with ATS (auto transfer switch) and load center for less than $3K.

Yeah, depending on the brand and power output, they can get pricey. I've seen some 13 kw, with ATS (auto transfer switch) and load center for less than $3K.

the ones I was drooling over were about the size of 3 large a/c units, tan, and just sat on the side of your house like a huge solid a/c unit. Homo Depot is where I saw em' now that I think about it.

I have a Generac 10k standby that runs on natural gas. It's hardwired and fully automatic. Power goes out, 30 seconds later it fires up and power comes back on. :thumbsup: It also senses when line power is restored and will shut itself down.
It's a great investment.

Good deal Omar! They have those poles replaced in a couple of hours. I thought about getting a generator myself, but when we have widespread outages, I have to go work anyway! :banghead:

I have a Generac 10k standby that runs on natural gas. It's hardwired and fully automatic. Power goes out, 30 seconds later it fires up and power comes back on. :thumbsup: It also senses when line power is restored and will shut itself down.
It's a great investment.

PD.. we considered getting one of those before KATRINA... but we couldn't JUSTIFY that kind of money for something we may never use.... 18 days later without power we were kicking ourselves.

We still don't have a BIG one, but the one we have will run the well pump, the house lights, and the fridge and hot water heater. Now we just stockpile gasoline.

We were just talking about generators when we put your buell pegs on a couple of weeks ago. I have used mine three times to power the house after we lost power for almost a month one time, and 10 days another time. When not serving emergency purposes, it powers the Busa Hospital!:thumbsup: QA generator is a great investment.:thumbsup:

post-6-50484-CIMG2988__Small_.jpg

Back