Possible cracked case or block??!!?

BusaDood

Registered
I was leaving a local parts shop and pulled out gave it 1/4 throttle while pulling out and then hit it, normally bike accelerates fine, this time it jumped then i heard some grinding and jerking, then hit the rev limiter in 1st, i throw the bike in neutral turn around and look and my chain is coming down from flight about 10 ft in the air. I just had my bike serviced at 4000 miles and the bike ahs about 4300 on it now. I turned around and pushed the bike back to the shop and put it inside and then got my buddy to go get my truck to pick it up. There isnt a whole lot of oil pouring or dripping but i wiped my finger and it looks like a hairthin crack across the case maybe the block. Called the dealer and asked if they could do anything cause i still have the facotory one year warranty and also an extended 3 year. They said no because it was due to the chain which isnt covered under the warranty. I told them that i just got it serviced there and if the chain was bad they should have told me to replace it instead of just squirting more lube on it and wiping it with a rag to clean it. So now im screwed i guess. What do you guys think i should do? Should i call Suzuki or just find another bottom end? I havent taken the bike apart yet im gonna do that tonight to see what happened, also the black sprocket cover cracked too!
I'll get some pics up of the damage.

4K? when did you take delivery? I see no reason (unless you beat it silly) that a chain should suffer a failure like that at such low mileage... no warranty in effect?

I've welded several dirt bike cases, not hard to weld it. What is hard is that it has to be off the bike, taken apart and very thoroughly cleaned. Can have no oil at all in the area to be welded, none.
Geez, that sucks.
sad.gif

Personally I wouldn't tear it apart until I had contacted everyone I could think of about it including Suzuki and the company that underwrote the extended warranty. Make sure and document every conversation as well by taking extremely good notes and asking plenty of questions. Then if all else fails have an attorney review the matter. There may also be other options available as well depending upon which state you live in and how the extended warranty is written.

Tearing it apart could make it hard to prove what exactly caused the failure. It would suck to tear it apart then get ahold of Suzuki only to have them tell you they won't do anything with it because you have already tore it down. Just my two cents worth!!

Checked everything out, and it looks like my shift shaft cover cracked and the hydraulic clutch cover over the front sprocket is tore all to hell. the oil that i was seeing is from my clutch. heres some pics, the block looks ok.

busa0091.jpg

busa008.jpg

busa005.jpg

busa006.jpg

that blows make sure you get a billet sprocket cover it will prevent this from happening again.

yes they can be powder coated or painted. they only cost like 145.00 and woulda saved you al that damage for sure.

Only 300 mi after a service this happened, I would bet even money it was related to something they did some how.
guns.gif

That IS some serious low mileage to have that happen. How old is the bike again? You will probably have better luck with the extended warranty than the manufactures warranty.

back up from the subject matter so the camera will focus...

but the item it looked like you were shooting was a bolted on cover... lucky for you....

case.jpg

The bike is a 2007 with 4400 miles and the chain has been well kept by me and the dealer. I'm gonna show the dealer on Monday. Do you know where I can get the billet cover from.

gotta admit...looking at that front sprocket...something is fishy for only 4300 miles.
please take a pic 90 degrees straight-on of the sprocket and post it. Be sure the teeth are in focus.
lurk.gif

Back