JINKSTER ATTACKS "SUSPENSION"

Great Job, my settings ended up about the same, more luck than not, just kept hammering the same road over & over & over & over. I'm riding @ 220 - 235, geared up. Still can't get fr. to feel ego boosting, I'm going for the spring replace, THANKS. Are you going to be @ Deal's Gap Apr.28-30 '06??
Thank you fasttoys and I'm not certain about the gap yet...work...finances..kinda thing. L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread Jinkster. Bike feels a wolrd of difference now.

Jinkster, First let me say nice write up as with all your how to posts. It's great that you take the time to take pics along the way when your working on your bike.

My Busa is still new, 3 weeks & 1K miles today.
I would love to set up my supension after I have a better feel of the bike and can appriciate the change. But I weigh in at 160lbs & 5'10". When I sit on the bike now the front fork doesn't move, the back dips a little. I read were the stock supension is set for a little Asian guy at maybe 140".

I read Him's post and he said the front forks didn't move and maybe his springs were wore out, I know thats not the case with my bike.

So do you think I can get any impovement out of my supension considering my weight, with my gear on 170lbs.

Thanks.
By the way I am a little south of you, Fort Lauderdale.

Not Dreamin anymore

Alright...I'm stoked!!! I just ordered front fork oil seals and dust seals, so figured I would look to see if there were some adjustments I could make that would help, and WOW.....what a write up. Thanks for all of the work Jinkster!!! I am excited to give your settings a try.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

ps........I figured my seals were trashed so soon because of that sloppy soft front fork suspension setting!!!!
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|scottybusa
Reason for Edit: "ps"|1148006714 -->

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks Jinkster. Your write-up got me to adjust mine too; it's now handling way better than stock. I hit some pretty good twisties yesterday without a hint of the tire chatter I was getting before. I think the preload adjustment is a must do for all but the lightest of riders.

<span style='color:"RoyalBlue"'>Just playing with this PDF manual! Stuff is hard to steal off em these days! Here is some info for your stock settings if you were wondering.</span>
AOL.com Images Not Available
AOL.com Images Not Available

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Thanks Jinkster! </span></span><span style='color:darkblue'>I did the adj to my 06 set to the 210lb setting and like it. Who can tell if it helps living in Flat straight FL? Anyway the spg preload will wear your fork seals etc out if you leave set at the soft cushy 5 or more rings they come with! I'm in the Daytona Area! Can anyone tell me of any rides / meets in the area?</span>
newbie.gif

<span style='color:darkblue'>Hey all! This is a real topic of interest to all who own a Busa! And IMO should be moved from the factory set spot for safety/function/wear of components. Could someone with more knowledge of howto say use a sticky or poll? that can let folk know what worked for others? I'm 220 w/gear F-fork pre load 2 rings damp 5 the rest set at the suggested 215 set </span>

Front Preload-  2 Rings (or 2 rev out)  
Compression -   5 clicks out
Rebound-         3 clicks out

Rear Preload-   1 Rev on the collar clockwise
Compression-   7 clicks out
Dampening-     10 clicks out

<!--EDIT|8Daytona8
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151509568 -->

REBOUND: 3 Clicks Out
COMPRESSION: 4 Clicks Out

and this is with your spring preload adjusters set at just 1 line showing...ie..socked all the way down too the first line.

My Rear Shock Settings Are...

Rebound (botton screw): 10 Clicks Out
Compression (top screw): 7 Clicks Out

And that's with two full revs more rear shock spring preload from stock factory adjustment.[/QUOTE]

put in this setting today..and worked excellent for my 228lb weight..busa no long bottoms and dives into the ground on hard braking...

<!--EDIT|NiTrowood
Reason for Edit: "spelling"|1151778902 -->

OK Jinkster. So I re-adjusted the just the damping settings so far based on what you posted on the first page. the bike felt GREAt going through curves, but it feels really bumpy on rougher sections of road. much bouncier than it used to. I weigh about 210. I also noticed when i hit the front brakes the nose would dive a bit more than it was. do you think if I do the rest of the walk through it will fix these issues? or should I look at replacing the front fork springs? the bike does have 85,000 miles on it.

Hey! Wanted to throw this out at yawl. The front settings i used that is listed above was a bit harsh when riding on normal bumpy roads and now have a bit of advice for those like me 200 or so pounds and don't really need the aggressive stuff. The sag i came up with is just shy of the 3.4? so 2 out on the spring pressure is ok and all works fine but the compression and rebound setting was 5 & 3 and is now at 8 & 2 with the 2 revs out, and has stopped my squishy squeek i had! Seems to take the sharp road bumps better. Man it would be great if we had say a list with all the same wording we could list our weight, type riding, and the settings. The part # for oem springs are all the same for all busa's but i think they may have stiffened em up some for the newer bikes, say 06 and now 07.

I am with you 100 percent as far as a list goes. I have read all 4 pages and was expecting a body weight to settings list/comparison for both drag and street riding. Guess I will have to read it all again and see which one matches my weight and riding style. Guess the bottom line is I will have to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread and figure it out for myself.

Thanks to you guys that bumped this excellent thread. I saved it to my favs
smile.gif
. Once the preload is set using Bill's instructions, just a little experimenting with the rebound & compression damping will make most of us smile. Once a guy gets used to it, it's not so hard to readjust things depending on what type of riding is planned.

I set my sag today I knew it was soft the way it was
my static sag was 3.5 and laden was 3.050
I had to crank it all the way down to get 3.420 laden and i weigh 180

I used your setup as a quick fix yesterday when I took the wife out for a ride. We have a combined weight of about 250 and the setup worked great for the twisties. Thanks.

Back