Buell Foot Peg Mod Problems

hjp1968

Registered
Hi
I have recently carried out the Buell footpeg mod and it is brilliant. I'm 6'6" and now I can finish a ride and still be able to walk with little fear of deep vein thrombosis!!!
However as I have fairly big feet and my height means that my feet tend to hang down from the pegs, now this isn't a problem in the bends as I move them out the way but I can't get the gear shift in the best place to allow me trouble free shifts. If I adjust it down to the point where it is comfortable it fouls the kick stand. At present I have it set as low as possible and up shifts are difficult as I have to slide my foot under the gear shift but I hit the kick stand and for down shifts I have to have a double jointed ankle or take my foot off the peg. Has anyone else had this problem (or is it just me?) and how did you fix it. I have thought of extending the bit that you put your foot under, but the main part would still foul the kick stand, or I could bend or weld in a piece that offsets the gear shifter to avoid the kick stand.
I hope someone can help.
Thanks for listening
Heath
PS I'm in England so the bike is a British spec Busa if that makes any difference

I had the same problem. You have to kind of live with it a bit and compromise between comfort and shiftability(is that a word?).

I just finished this mod and had the same condition but after riding a bit settled in wih it.

I did see a post not to long ago about a custom mod that extends the shifter end out about another inch.

I have heard good things about the folding shift levers being sold on fleabay for this application. Personally I simply extended my stock shift lever a bit with a piece of plastic Tubing and it is second nature now.

look to ebay... there is a $20 shifter that helps A LOT... chrome with a knurled spring loaded peg... *will post it if I can find it for you...

well the $18 auction is over but they have it for a fixed price, they do it both ways.. if you can wait, it will probably pop back up for the cheaper price.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-07-Suzuki-Hayabusa-GSXR-1300-CHROME-GEAR-SHIFT-LEVER_W0QQitemZ220243842155QQcmdZViewIte
m?hash=item220243842155&" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">Shifter</a>

i had the same problem. i played with the shifter a while and then the way I fixed the problem was taking them off. yes they were more comfy but i just couldnt deal with the shifting. On a side not I did just make some risers for the clip ons and that also made a big difference. Raised them up 1.25".

i have the same problem and i'm going to sacrifice for the comfort. i'm 6'2" w/ a size 13 euro 48 boot and i usually have to pick my foot up off the peg to downshift. i also have trouble with my toe catching when i take a low speed tight turn.

I did the Buell peg mod and I found that the gear change was in the wrong place and the adjustment available was not enough. My solution was to move the gear change clamp on the splined shaft over by one spline. This brought the adjustment back in range and Presto ! sorted !!
thumb_up.gif

I didn't know people put Buell pegs on their Busas. Cool. I've got Buell pegs on my Buell, and Busa pegs on my Busa. I may have to look into doing this.

I left the rearset hooked up to the shifter, rotated the rearset 1 time so that the shifter was a tiny bit lower, and that helped me. 2 rotations of the rearset and i had a hard time getting it to shift into 1st from neutral. I'm 6'4, with a 13 field armor boot. the boot takes up some slack, cuz it's pretty beefy, but i also scuffed on a corner last weekend.

Had a similar problem at 6'3" size 12 boot.

I removed the rubber sleeve on the shift arm then dremmeled off the outer metal lip on the underside. This freed up enough space for my regular work day shoes to move around and shift. If I'm wearing actual riding boots I don't even realize it anymore. I also adjusted the shift lever slightly on the geared teeth by 1 or 2. Works great now.

Back