Need Help with an oil Leak

That sucks, haven't seen or heard that one before! But at least its under warranty......

ive had the same prob on my 02..it was that darn o ring...
peace.gif

i had a problem but mine melted the oil cooler line so other than that i have been good just make sure you check your clearences on your lines if you go after market exhaust

The bike has been back together for a while now, and I've ridden it a couple times.  I decided to look underneath and see if there was any oil.

Here's looking up at the oil pan in a mirror.  The oil up near the left in the picture, near the oil cooler line bolt is from a little spill.

IMG_4865.jpg

So then I decided to pull the sprocket cover and see if that area was all messed up again.  Still pretty clean.

IMG_4871.jpg

So I look under the water pump and the wall of the engine has a film of oil on it.

IMG_4869.jpg

Here's looking up at the water pump in a mirror.

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

There is an obvious drip there.  Look familiar?

If I pull the pump and there is oil on the back side it is the o-ring item 10, and if there is oil inside the pump it would be the mechanical seal number 4.  I know there isn't oil inside the pump because that would mean there was oil getting in the coolant.  So according to that theory, I needed to pull the pump and replace o-ring 10.

waterpump.jpg

It is necessary to drain the oil for this.

Pulled the pump, here are the pics.  All went relatively smooth.  The bike had a death grip on the pump but after a minute or so of wiggling and spinning it finally came free.  My biggest concern was whether or not it is possible to get everything back together without lining up the keyed end on the shaft with the one on the oil cooler.  I've got it lined up, everything is back together, nothing binds, and the water pump housing is sitting flush on the engine like it is supposed to.

Here's the pics.

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

Nice view into the case and the oil pump shaft in question.

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

thanks, nice walk thru... hidden leaks like that can really use up a lot of time to find.. good catch! (and saves a 3 year old post
smile.gif
)

I do have 2 systems for tracing oil leaks..

first one is easy.. you need some brake clean and spray foot powder.. The brake clean removes 100% of oil residue, spray area with the spray foot powder and watch the fun start..

This is especially effective on finding leaks from porous castings (not normally something anyone outside a dealership will encounter) or leaks that follow casting seams.. Is amazing how far oil can go on a motor before being spotted as a leak..

Second is a dye system I own, a fluorescing dye goes in the leaking fluid and a 100W UV light does all the work..

I've got the same leak from the water pump. But I am planning to turn the oil leak into an automatic chain lube system. I already got all the components to achieve that. The problem is the damn thing stopped leaking. Well, at least on my last ride. I will ride more and see if it squeezes a few drops.

Back