lowered busa cause of crash

craigntx

Registered
from rocketmadness.com
(quote)
Yesterday, 01:15 PM #1
xxxdesigns
Newbie Scooter Trash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Doucet, owner of Brand-X Bikeworks was killed wednesday night on congress st. while riding his custom 1999 suzuki hayabusa. Details are still sketchy as to exactly what happened. A group of friends on scene the day after ,believe johns lowered hyabusa "MAY" have bottomed out in a dip in the road, causing an oil leak which then in turn, caused loss of traction to the rear wheel in a curve. He then collided with a light pole. John Doucet will be dearly missed by all of his many friends and family members.He will forever be remembered for his infectious smile and super generous ways! WE ALL MISS YOU JOHN, YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN!
___

damn,I never even thought of that,may have to rethink where im at

side_shot.jpg

"damn,I never even thought of that,may have to rethink where im at"

It looks great right where you have it. Maybe fab up a skid plate for the oil pan?

I think it could be a "contributing" factor to any number of bike crashes... I do know one member that can vouch for "lowered" being a big issue to the cornering ability of these bikes...

You have to be heavily lowered to do that kinda oilpan damage. That, or be a big guy with the bike lowered more than 1.5inches up front and/or with the suspension set to the Mush setting.

I've also have spotted some guys with their suspensions setting all the way on the soft side for what they say is a better ride. Yeah, until you have to turn, then it's all squirrely.

You have to be heavily lowered to do that kinda oilpan damage. That, or be a big guy with the bike lowered more than 1.5inches up front and/or with the suspension set to the Mush setting.  

I've also have spotted some guys with their suspensions setting all the way on the soft side for what they say is a better ride.  Yeah, until you have to turn, then it's all squirrely.
290lbs lowered all the way up front and all the way in the rear (fully adjustable lowering links)

thats why im waiting on my rear shock to come back from being rebuilt to my weight/stretch (6 over) before i ride her anywhere,its like a damn trampolean right now with stock spring.

but back to original post...sad story regardless of the cause but definately somthing to look out for,thanks for the post

Actually it does not take much to bottom out n a lowered Bsa. It also is not always the oil that makes the bike loose control, but the bottoming out itself, and the oil is after the bike goes down.

I see how it could happen. I hit a dip in the road in mine and bottomed out pretty hard, hard enough to brake the lower wing off. Came close to going down. My bike is only lowered 1 1/2.

In my earlier post i thought we were talking about normal road conditions. Heck yeah if you hit a real hard bump you can shear off the oil pan bolt. I've ridden my lowered&extended Busa for a couple years now and haven't hit the oil pan yet except on a steep driveway entrance, and that was a slow scrape at that.  From what i've gathered, it happens often with the guys that have 2.5-3inches of fork tube sticking through the upper clamp. Being heavy don't help either.

The accident that happened is a sad thing.

my exhaust bottoms out before my oil pan. I have to stand up to go up and down curbs. I have never bottoms out from anything other than curbs and speed bumps.

RIP
sad.gif

Back