Stripped Bolt in Engine

cobravenom39

Registered
I was changing the oil today and thought it would be easier to get off the oil filter by removing the line from the engine to the oil cooler. Wrong!!

When I went to reinstall them, I check the book for torque setting - 10 newton meters.

The only problem is I forgot to switch my torque wrench from ft/lb to newton meters. Well I stripped out the hole. It isn't that bad, as I can thread it in and out, but I can't get it to hold 10 newtons of torque anymore and it has a slight leak when running.

I found longer bolts in same size and pitch, put thread tape on them and screwed them in. Well, the torqe wrench said they are holding 10.5 newton of torque and it isn't leaking now. But will that hold?

Am I alright?? I have metric taps and I work at mcmaster-carr, so I have access to bolts and such. Should I tap the hole one size bigger? I've never done it before, but I am mechanically inclined.

Should I helicoil them? How do you do that?? Is it easy?? What do I need??

If you have taps take the safe course.

I remove my filter the same way. Put a little grease on the seal.

r8

117_1730paint05.JPG

Others will chime in as I do not know what to suggest.

One thing is for sure. You don't want it to leak or blow oil while at high speeds.

r8

It sounds like you have the situation in hand.

If you can get the next size bolt safely through the oil cooler line flange, drill and tap. It will be a bit faster/cheaper than going with a Time-sert, Heli-coil, or keen-sert.

If you can't get the next size bolt through the flange, I would say it's time for an insert.
beerchug.gif

If you can get the next size bolt safely through the oil cooler line flange, drill and tap. It will be a bit faster/cheaper than going with a Time-sert, Heli-coil, or keen-sert.

If you can't get the next size bolt through the flange, I would say it's time for an insert.
beerchug.gif
There ya go!

Arizona to the rescue.

r8

beerchug.gif
How hard is it to drill out the flange??

I'm thinking that's still easier than the helicoil??

Remove the line and use a drill press. If I remember correctly there is not a lot of area on the block so don't go to big.

r8

Back