Grilling Season!

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Damn, summer is good. Okay, I know it isn't summer but . . . .

Close enough fer cryin' out loud!

Charcoal is the best. For just the two of us, a Smokey Joe is just fine. We've been using this same griller for about 17 years. The charcoal starter we first bought gave out finally about three years ago. The one you see there is the replacement model.

DSC00704.jpg

Just getting started. Note, no lighter fluid tastes in my food. EVER.

I LIKE that!!!
biggrin.gif

DSC00705.jpg

While I'm waiting for the charcoal to start, prep time!

Brats. If you want good brats, use good brats and use good beer. Usually I use Fat Tire but Shiner Bock is plenty good.

DSC00707.jpg

Veggies for the grill are excellent. We're doing Roma tomatoes, Zucchini squash and Yellow crookneck squash. You can do all kinds of other things as well. Purple sweet onions, asparagus, a half head of lettuce, etc. Use olive oil to dip the veggies before putting on the grill and season to taste. Sometimes, all you need is a little sea salt, fresh ground pepper and some garlic or onions. Veggies are a light tasting food product so don't overseason here. A little goes a long way. If you use other spices, just a pinch in the olive oil before dipping the veggies.

DSC00710.jpg

Hey, you jacked my thread!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Next prep, is some wood chips. Soak 'em in water for just a bit. No need to soak overnight. You DO want them to smoke up!

I prefer mesquite far and away more than any other wood. Hickory is a distant second. Once I got these chips which were made from old Jack Daniels barrels and they smelled great but had little effect on the food. A real disappointment. Mesquite is the most importatn Grillin' spice you can ever use.

DSC00711.jpg

biggrin.gif

I do grill dogs and knockwursts when I have 'em. They're good for microwaving during the week!

DSC00712.jpg

Prep time for steaks. My favorite for the grill is Ribeye and porterhouse. Which one are these?

DSC00713.jpg

Sorry I didnt know that you were'nt done posting pics. I do soak my wood chips. Look underneath the ribs and you can see the Smoker pouch.

Yes, I cheat on the seasoning. The Grill Mates Original Montreal seasoning blends well with mesquite smoke. A tiny dab of fresh ground pepper and fresh ground sea salt added are a plus. 'Cause they're fresh. Sometimes, I add a little fresh garlic. Rub everything in real well on both sides.

I can hardly wait.

DSC00714.jpg

Sorry I didnt know that you were'nt done posting pics. I do soak my wood chips. Look underneath the ribs and you can see the Smoker pouch.
No need to apologize; it's all good!

I like to soak 'em for about the time it takes to prep everything else. It just keeps them from flaring up right away while I'm putting food on the grill.

More to come!

--Wag--

I love to BBQ
Ive come home from the bar and started grilling at 2:00 in the morning. A charcoal grill taste much better than gas.

Theres nothing like the smell of burning wood and a cooking grill.

Just gives me a minute or two for one more important part of the prep work.

DSC00725.jpg

That's a small Ashton Maduro. It was a tough decision to pick that cigar over some other cigars. That little Ashton is (was!) five years old and had a beautiful bloom on it. The Talisker went well with it!

Just need to check the grill one more time.

DSC00726.jpg

Yep, the charcoal was ready to go.

Dump it out, put the wood chips on it and put the grill in place.

DSC00729.jpg

Back