Flat tire while riding

diesel

Registered
I met Overeasy for a short ride yesterday. He knows a new development with fresh roads and no houses yet...kind of like a racetrack. My bike was handling a little "off" and on the way home it got really squirrelly. I pulled over and the rear was completely flat! My wife had bought me a tire repair kit a couple years ago and I was back riding in 5 minutes.

I guess I'll have a new rear for the bash. I found a 190/50 pilot power at Motosport.com for 159.99 free shipping.

DSC02164.JPG

That tire repair kit wasn't the plug type was it? If it was, those have a habit of working their way out on bike tires. Good for a quick fix to get you home though. I had a front tire blow out on me on a long down hill curve about 17 years ago. No fun... I was real lucky that day.

I had a flat on the front at 85 mph last summer. Talk about having to change your shorts. Fortunately, it leaked out pretty slowly rather than going out all at once or I probably would've spent the night in the morgue's locker and I hate the cold.

Glad you're okay, man. Another testament to getting a repair kit for your bike.

--Wag--

WTH!  That sucks, bro.  I feel bad now because I took you back there.  Glad you made it home alright.  Guess I should check my tires today.

What's ironic is that we had just looked at your tire repair kit the night before.  

I'm surprised you couldn't find a tire locally a little cheaper.  Did you try Pasco Cycles.  Last "set" I got there was about $250.00 installed w/tax.

Now you are going to have to get out and scrub that sucker in good before hitting twisties at the GAP.
winkold.gif

glad it worked out for you...i stay away from anywhere there is any kind of construction if at all possible since there is usually nails, screws, pieces of wood, metal, etc...i pick up enough debris without that
beerchug.gif

That tire repair kit wasn't the plug type was it? If it was, those have a habit of working their way out on bike tires. Good for a quick fix to get you home though. I had a front tire blow out on me on a long down hill curve about 17 years ago. No fun... I was real lucky that day.
I have ran plugs on rear tires on the Busa and the GSXR. On the Busa I picked up a roofing nail on the way home from monuting a new tire...plugged it and ran it until it was worn out. The GSXR I ran plugged for about 2K. No problem with either one
smile.gif

Actually best thing you can do is fill it with hot tire gum from an extruder, let it sit, clean it up and patch it from the inside. They do it for commercial tires on tractor trailers carrying 80,000+ lbs.

I would trust a patch over a plug...but I get a new tire every time. I'm not taking a chance to save $150
Don't sweat it, Kieth, not your fault! I had a good time out there. I should have checked right away when I noticed something a little off in the turns.

I'm surprised you couldn't find a tire locally a little cheaper. Did you try Pasco Cycles. Last "set" I got there was about $250.00 installed w/tax.
Prob might save $10 or so locally if I checked...but the sad thing is I would spend $10 in gas to go there and back. Ha-ha!
I'm going to mount it myself this time. I should be able to do it as good as the 17 year old master mechanic at the dealers and save myself a few scratches on my rim.

glad it worked out for you...i stay away from anywhere there is any kind of construction if at all possible since there is usually nails, screws, pieces of wood, metal, etc...i pick up enough debris without that
beerchug.gif
Down here you can't go ANYWHERE where there isn't construction, believe me. They'll be building in the freakin' Everglades soon.

I have no problem plugging tires. But, there's a time to plug and a time not to. You have to judge the damage first.

I had a similar experience, but didn't have a tire kit with me... so I sat on the side of the road for about 30-45 minutes until my friends could get me with thier truck...

Sitting on the side of the road is no fun...
DSC08447.jpg

Guess what, I have a tire kit now...

Sounds to me like someone needs to go on a diet. Aren't you a little too fat for a busa anyhow?

I use Ride-On in all of my tires. Cleans up with water, so the tire guy doesn't mind at all. Saved my rear a few times.

Ron

I use Ride-On in all of my tires. Cleans up with water, so the tire guy doesn't mind at all. Saved my rear a few times.

Ron

Back