Wearing Helmets

I think what you get with this thread, is that it brings together people with years and years of riding.. Over those years you get to see a lot of things.. Most of it has been the reason we ride bikes.. the other small percentage is what we do not want to see..

There is no worse feeling than rolling up on a bike crash and it has to go one of two ways.. It gets better or worse..

Worse is when the blood starts to pour (and I mean it rolls out) on to the ground from a head injury.. The rider is usually gurgling some unknown sounds as they bleed out...

On the other side, they might get back on their feet (not usually a good idea but seems to be a common factor)and they start assessing the damage.. Someone finally goes "hey look at your helmet" everyone gasps....

Now, on the "no helmet" side, I have ridden short distances (neighbors, corner, even around the housing development) but if I am going to be in traffic or around cars, helmet.. without exception.. I feel safer..

It all comes down to the "It won't happen to me" syndrome. Even though the no helmet riders say that they accept the fact that if they go down that they might get hurt. It still goes back to the "It won't happen to me" deal. I'd hate for someone to wreck riding without a lid and live a life of regret from there on. The pages of time turn back for no one, no matter how bad you want it.

So you may not like a full face, but atleast wear something, be it a skidlid or whatever.

Really, think about your head hitting the pavement at speed, any speed.

Hey it goes both ways.  I get harrassed for wearing full gear.  It's definitely a personal decision
brave.gif
and I have decided that I like my skin.

Just imagine the reaction of the cruiser crowd when I show up dressed like this in the middle of July
rock.gif

P7160070.JPG

I've also had the HD crowd making comments like i was some kind of idiot for wearing protective gear in the warmer months. The way i figure is that the no gear way is all they know, so me showing up in the summer with more than a Tshirt on would look funny to them. I really think they only reason they wear leather in the winter is because it's warmer, no for protection..

For those that say "I'm going slow". I worked in bicycle shops for the better part of a decade (mostly building wheels for high-end road/mountain bikes).

We rented bicycles as we were in the French Quarter (I'm a NOLA native) all the time, but specifically for Jazz Fest, Mardi Gras, etc.

In the 6 years I worked at that particular shop, there were 4 fatalities alone on our bicycles from people going out on our bikes and NOT wearing the helmets we provided (we provided a helmet and a u-lock with every bike).

How fast do you think a tourist who's not in any kind of shape on a 45lb MTB goes? I would bet not even 20mph, probably closer 15mph.

It was enough to kill four people while I was there.

Good luck convincing people with the slow argument.
thumb_down.gif

alabama has a helmet law, even if they didnt id still wear 1, min gear of jacket, gloves, boots, full helmet. saved my face twice once on the track and once on a curvy road with some loose gravel on roadway, no scars from either time. im convinced !

Hayabusa, Ohio, I DONT wear a helmet
1. if I wore a helmet I would feel invincible and ride like a squid. NOT wearing a helmet keeps me form speeding and makes me pay a helluva lot more attention to the missle between my legs.
2. thats why i ride slow and careful but i get there in 1 piece.
3. I have neck problems(football injurey), and if i wear a helmet for a leghnthy time, i wont be able to move my head the next day.
4. If i hit the pavement it wont be that hard, i ride slow, but if i do hit pavement fast/hard i dont wanna see the scars for the rest of my life.
I think you've got a few misconceptions on helmets. If I remember the "Hurt" helmet report I read a couple years ago...

an impact to your head at 17mph is enough to kill you.

If you stand in a room and free fall over and your head hits the floor,
it will strike it at 17 mph. Obviously it matters if you crumple downward,
your arm comes out, you hit carpet etc...but you get the idea.

If you fall over in the driveway (and fall just right, like you arm doesn't break your fall etc) your head will hit the driveway at 17mph and you may die.

If you are travelling at 60 mph, and you fall...horizontal velocity will not affect downward acceleration (unless you got wings on head) traveling at 60 and falling your head will hit the pavement at 17mph (and then skid at 60)...but the cause of your death will probably not be the skidding.

So my point is...riding slow in no way negates the neccessity of wearing a helmet or insures your survival once an accident occures.

Have you tried really light helmets, my Shoei rf1000 and my Arai are both real light and I'm sure some are lighter.

BTW-Not wearing a helmet so "I would feel invincible and ride like a squid. NOT wearing a helmet keeps me form speeding and makes me pay a helluva lot more attention"  
rock.gif
that's a little different philosphy that's kinda like saying...I'm not buying any condoms cause I don't want any kids, that way I wont engage in any sex  
poke.gif
 And when Jessica Biel or the pud on the 600 say "Let's Go"...there you are with no protection.  
lol1.gif

Just a thought...

2007_i_pronounce_you_014.jpg
That is the way I think about it.. IF someone was to, lets say rear end you at a stoplight wearing a helmet could actually make the diffrence between you shaking it off and being pissed and you actually being killed.
I dont wanna turn this into a pissing match, I'm not that way. Does this mean since I hunt and shoot guns that i should do all of these with a bullet-proof vest? I just sat here and read all of the diff. opinions. and maybe i could be convinced to wear ALL gear(leather jacket and pants, gloves, helmet and boots too)if they were affordable, and on a 90 degree day i think of how miserably hot i would be, I wouldnt ride the darn thing, in which case i would only ride in 50-70 degree temps, and if i were only gonna ride in those temps, i would put it up for SALE. I have a living will, if God wants me, I cant do anything to delay it. I am addicted to breathing, but i dont want any help from a machine in doing so. I know i may come off as being stupid, careless, irresponsible, but it is MY decision. I dont try to change your minds about NOT wearing gear, so I ask you , please dont throw in my face "that is horsepoop", and as far as the PUD pulling up next to me and wanting to run'em, i have my girlfriend with me ALL the time, and first of all I would never ever dreaam of puting her life at risk.( so the PUD( I call them squids) can go-on, I dont hafta race to prove my bike to anyone. I suyppose this post should be posted on ALL Moped forrums too since it only takes 17 mph to die from head injury. (good research, sounds like you posted with facts). I could sit here and throw-in faces of all who want to ride the Dragon as fast as they can and how stupid and irresponsible it would be, but I DONT and WONT. sorry for this, I am very opiniated, and believe MY DECISIONS are what they are "MY DECISONS" so dont try to ridicule me for my decisions, when i dont ridicule you for yours.

I don't always wear my helmet. I live in Wisconsin, no helmet law. If I'm just putting around town I don't wear it, but other than that I do. I know accidents can happen anywhere, just a choice that I make, and a risk that I'm fully aware of. My old man has been riding a bikes since the 60's and I swear he's never had a helmet on his head. Maybe it rubbed off on me a little.

I would also like to add
deadhorse.gif
my front tire has never left the pavement. 99% of my ridng is on back country roads with hardly any congested traffic. I do the speed limit. As a mailman, defensive driving is beat into our heads DAILY. Oh, for what it is worth, my girlfriend wears a helmet and I just bought her a leath jacket, and should she feel the need for more gear, by God, I will get it for her. Because I have 1 of the fastest bikes made doesnt mean I want to push it to its limits. Maybe I should have gotten a Busa with training wheels and a 250cc motor cause I dont push it. I happen to like the styling and engineering of the Busa and I also know Japanese are perfectionists in whatever they build. I wont knock you for wearing all the gear, and you dont knock me for lack there of..deal?

I never wear one....when I'm not on the bike, that is.
99.99999% always geared.

Only exception might be at Daytona Bike Week stuck in that traffic or actually ON the beach.

Bikes: K8 Busa, KTM525, KTM300, CR500, WR400, TRX300, KZ1000, XR600
California does have a helmet law. One short trial ride changed my life forever. Broken nose, broken jaw, destroyed eye socket, perm. double vision, skull plate, limited short term memory, 300+ stitches in the face. I wish that I had my helmet on that day.

Q: OK... so you can't see and you can't hear and you tire easily when wearing a helmet. Does that really cause Motorcyclists to have accidents?

A: Perhaps not. But ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story. Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH! Helmets save lives my ass!
How the f**k did a hornet/wasp/bee etc. get inside a helmet? Oh I forgot, you painted the bl**dy visor so can't see out of it and have to leave the visor open!! Now your helmet becomes a flying insect scoop, excellent idea!

I had a bad crash (over the bars) many years ago at the Isle of Man TT. My helmet was SPLIT right across the top. 30 years later I can still tell the story, you work it out.

I'm in the UK and a helmet has been required since the 70's thank god.

Pete

To me thats like asking... Do you like or not like to be kicked in the nuts... Helmet always, helmet law or not!

Ride - 2000 Busa
Race - 2005 Honda 600RR

Full leathers / boots / gloves / back protector etc. ALL THE TIME & yes a helmet.
A helmet saved my life in 1987.

I would also like to add  
deadhorse.gif
 my front tire has never left the pavement. 99% of my ridng is on back country roads with hardly any congested traffic. I do the speed limit. As a mailman, defensive driving is beat into our heads DAILY. Oh, for what it is worth, my girlfriend wears a helmet and I just bought her a leath jacket, and should she feel the need for more gear, by God, I will get it for her. Because I have 1 of the fastest bikes made doesnt mean I want to push it to its limits. Maybe I should have gotten a Busa with training wheels and a 250cc motor cause I dont push it. I happen to like the styling and engineering of the Busa and I also know Japanese are perfectionists in whatever they build. I wont knock you for wearing all the gear, and you dont knock me for lack there of..deal?
You got a deal bro.

I think this is a very strong topic for everyone. Good debates spark positive thinking. Positive thinking in turn promotes growth.

I wear my helmet all the time. You dont have to. I like discussing both sides of the issue.

Q:  OK... so you can't see and you can't hear and you tire easily when wearing a helmet.  Does that really cause Motorcyclists to have accidents?

A:  Perhaps not.  But ask anyone who's ridden for more than a year or two about his favorite "hornet flew inside his helmet" story.   Those are always good for a laugh, especially when you are heading down a busy Interstate at 65 MPH!  Helmets save lives my ass!
How the f**k did a hornet/wasp/bee etc. get inside a helmet? Oh I forgot, you painted the bl**dy visor so can't see out of it and have to leave the visor open!! Now your helmet becomes a flying insect scoop, excellent idea!

I had a bad crash (over the bars) many years ago at the Isle of Man TT. My helmet was SPLIT right across the top. 30 years later I can still tell the story, you work it out.

I'm in the UK and a helmet has been required since the 70's thank god.

Pete
I have a clear visor for my lid, the painted one is just for show. I would never go out riding with the painted visor.
Photo10.jpg

Back