Twisties ride with 6" swingarm

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Well, after getting my bike together I took my 1st real ride today up to Virginia City, the new swingarm is all the way extended (6") and my surprise was how hard I could still hit the corners! It's obviously way different but not terrible like I envisioned it. Of course I'll bring it back to stock length for riding with my "fast buddies" but the long arm is fun.
I parked at a biker bar in the middle of a bunch of custom choppers and baggers.....the bar emptied out and the guys were really friendly and nice...full of questions and admiration for the Busa. One guy with a 121" monster custom challenged me to a race and his friends all said, "you can't beat a Hayabusa, fool!" It was all in fun and a great place to BS with those guys over coffee. Raydog

P1010360.JPG

Question? you can use hump or seat with the rack?
If you ride double (which I never do) you can face the big bag to the rear, doing that with the hump, in my opinion, puts too much weight way back. When I travel heavy, the touring bag is forward, resting on the passenger seat (last time I did that, I actually brought the hump in the big bag for racy looking day rides if I can leave the big stuff back in the motel room). With the sport rack and bag (the smaller one) it is great just behind the hump (as pictured above in the opening shot of this strand). BTW, hi Bill.........D.

When you have the adjustable swingarm and either go all the way in for stock or all the way out how do you adjust the chain the six inches??

When you have the adjustable swingarm and either go all the way in for stock or all the way out how do you adjust the chain the six inches??
Great question, you buy the chain for the longest length you'll need, you buy the Pro Motion rivet tool, you take enough chain off your chain to accommodate the shortest (stock length in my case)length you'll need, you maintain a supply of rivet type master links.....then you run TWO rivet masters when you go to the long length....I hope that makes sense.
BTW, Cloud Nine Motorsports (GoldenChild) is a GREAT place to get all the stuff from..as needed. Raydog

So it doesn't "KILL" the handling like some say ? I am really starting to think about a 240, with 6 inch stretch. I really don't ride twisty's that much, but I'm sure I would, if I could, better. I know the custom builders say anything wider than a 240 hurts the bike ?

IT DOES LOOK GOOD !!!!!!
bowdown.gif

Stretches aren't as bad as people make it seem. Like I've said before, if you're riding hard enough that you're noticing a stretch on the street, you probably should be doing track days.

FWIW I am at 5.5" and lowered.

Just got my CM 6 inch arm on set at 5.5 or so and I haven't been in the twisties yet, but I don't notice much increase at all in turn in effort when street riding.

Back