Undertail, but with stock light

standiggity

Registered
I have two undertails sitting at the house.. I am thinking of hacking the light panel out of one, flipping the stock tailight, and using it with a clear lense. I would either integrate the turn signals, or mount them somewhere off the undertail, anyone done this, do you think it is doable? What problems might I run into?

Yes I would be running red LEDs behind the clear lense.. as that just makes sense.

I've seen aftermarket undertails that work/go with the stock taillight,I can't remember where? I like the idea as I prefer the stock taillight.

Think.. nice slick undertail off of a topgun... but instead of the LEDs.. the stock tail light in that place, with a clear lense behind it. In Ga law says I can't use the swingarm mount for my tag, so it would be mounted flush up against the undertail, with an LED light on the tag. The turn signals (just bought them) are small cat eye, carbon fiber wannabes.. of to the side of the plate.. but all tucked in nice and neat.. I'll photochop the basics of what I'm talkin' about here shortly.

something like this, (Sorry for whoever photos this is.. just the first one I pulled up from my HD.).. the blinkers are about 1.5 inches long and coming off the side of the tag mount (Super Bright LED with clear lenses)

red.jpg

i like it i've wanted to do this since most of the undertails i don't care much for their brake lights i used for the turn signals a led board that has the whole side turn on for the turnsignals and looks pretty decent

Are you speaking of the clear alternatives? I didn't want to integrate my turns into the tail light because I don't think it really provides other drives with a good enough idea of which blinker you want to use.. that's why I'm mounting them to the side of the License plate.

Are you speaking of the clear alternatives?  I didn't want to integrate my turns into the tail light because I don't think it really provides other drives with a good enough idea of which blinker you want to use.. that's why I'm mounting them to the side of the License plate.
+1

here's a mold I'll sell you to make this undertail...many guys on here have it.

P1010950.jpg

they end up looking like this:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v225/suzuki4life/?action=view¤t=7.jpg" target="_blank">
7.jpg

its called "theMotorhead" undertail

or you can wait and get one like this:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v225/suzuki4life/?action=view¤t=P1010990.jpg" target="_blank">
P1010990.jpg

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v225/suzuki4life/?action=view¤t=P1010988.jpg" target="_blank">
P1010988.jpg
[/URL]

Here is a picture of the turn signals I will be using (cheapos off ebay.. but with LEDs). This will be mounted of the top corners of my tag mount. All the parts are bought.. I just have to get home and put it all together now!!

led15a.jpg

I have the set up you seek. It's a Powerbronze undertail. They make one just for use with a stock type rear light...

img218.jpg

another...I got the chrome integrated rear light off ebay. It works great, and clips right into factory wire harness.

0317081120.jpg

I like it.. but I also plan on getting rid of th rectangular reflector below the tail light.. and using a top gun undertail shell for the actual undertail, yours does look nice though.

Here is a picture of the turn signals I will be using (cheapos off ebay.. but with LEDs).  This will be mounted of the top corners of my tag mount.  All the parts are bought.. I just have to get home and put it all together now!!
I use simular ones on my '86. Be prepared to buy more. They only last about 1 summer. And I had to shuttle 3 sets back and forth before i got a full working set.(when they were brand new) Mine have the brused Alum housing, only diff.My left one is toast again, after only 7000 mi.

img062.jpg

I like it.. but I also plan on getting rid of th rectangular reflector below the tail light.. and using a top gun undertail shell for the actual undertail, yours does look nice though.
Ahh, I see. That should look good!!! The LP light is housed behind that reflector. And the local PD here are pro Harley as it gets. So I did not want to give them extra reasons to pull me...So I stuck with the OEM design tail/plate light.

I've got the Mototeck undertail; hubby thought the stock lens looked better than what Mototeck had, so he drilled two holes in the Mototeck and attacked the stock lens cover over that...been like that for years, no regrets.
smile.gif

fav_rearshot.JPG

Back