How NOT to change your oil....Pic inside!

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Well first let me say, im not blaming ANYBODY this was MY fault no one else's. So heres the story...

After following the advise of other members in my fairing thread. I decided instead of taking the fairing all the way off I would just get the bottom part undone so I can half way get to the oil filer. Much easier right? Sure seemed that way and it probably is. But hears the thing, After getting the old oil filter off, I got the new oil filter on. Pretty easy so far right? I tightened it down with the oil filter wrench to what seemed pretty tight. I thought that seems pretty tight, now to put in the oil...

I put in 3.5 quarts of oil tighten the oil cap back down and begin to start it up. I hit the button it starts right up, the low oil light went off after a second or two, all seemed right in the world...

CLINK! ZIPP! Wait what was that? I listened, about 5 seconds later, CLINK, CLINK, WHINE!!! I look down and there is about 3.5 quarts of oil pouring out of this thing at the filter. Bam, I shut the engine down. What have I done!?? I thought. What happened?

Well, to be honest im not 100% on this yet because I still can't get the fairing off. But I think I must not have got the oil filter quite as tight as what I thought I did. You see, I was tightening the filter with the wrench through that little hole in the fairing. I could never get that good of a grip on it. But it seemed tight. It seemed all good. Obviously it wasn't all good. It was far from all good. Its possible that I could have unknowingly ruptured some kind of line? But I don't even know if such a line exists to rupture near that area.

I don't think I damaged my engine. The low oil light never came on and the engine wasn't running very long at all. Any opinions on this? Could I have damaged the engine?

I chalk it all up to laziness on my part. If I wasn't in such a hurry and would have done it the "right" way everything would have been just fine. For now on the fairing is coming completely off when I change the oil. But I think I will be letting the dealer handle it next time.

Its going to be mostly sunny and 65 here tomorrow. I was supposed to be meeting up with people at 10am for a ride. Obviously because of my incompetence that is no longer feasible.

LESSON LEARNED.

Edit: I see what happened now. The ring on the oil filer had some how came off. The seal is folded in half on the oil filter. I will see if I can get a pic.

notchangeoilSmall.jpg

Ive changed the oil in bikes a hundred times. I knew better than to do what I was doing. But for some reason the little hamster in my head must of quit spinning that wheel. Matter of fact, I think the hamster just plain out died on me tonight. I just want day light to get here so I can see what I actually did. I don't deserve to have a busa.
boohoo.gif

Here is what happened. The old seal from the old oil filter was still on the engine when I took it off. I didn't see it because of the fairing. I was in a hurry, I didn't think about looking on the old filter to see if the seal was still there. Now im just hoping a peace of the seal didn't get sucked into the engine.

Edit: Success! Both rings are there in their entirety! So hopefully no damage was done.

oilsealMedium.jpg

I always look to make sure the old is on the filter. Hopefully everything is ok.

Normally I check to. But for some reason the ONE time when it was stuck on the bike, I didn't check. Go figure, thats just my luck.

Anyway, 9am can't come soon enough. I need more oil so I can crank her back up. I need to ease my mind (at least I hope!)

I've seen it stick several times myself. My theory is it sticks cause its dry and tight, could be wrong though.....Since I wipe off the seating area with a rag I tend to catch it if its there, even if the filter goes south into the oil pan. One thing you can do to help yourself is fill the filter with as much oil as is reasonable for a horizontal mounted filter. They will always take more than you think. And the first place out of the filter it goes is usually the mains, so you want oil pressure asap. The book wants two full turns on the filter to seat fully, thats real tight but I do it that way, and use an end filter wrench and a smear of clean oil the the new filter. If the light didn't come on I wouldnt sweat it. Could have been worse. G/L.

Here is what happened.  The old seal from the old oil filter was still on the engine when I took it off.  I didn't see it because of the fairing.  I was in a hurry, I didn't think about looking on the old filter to see if the seal was still there.  Now im just hoping a peace of the seal didn't get sucked into the engine.

Edit:  Success!  Both rings are there in their entirety!  So hopefully no damage was done.

oilsealMedium.jpg
My first change on my Busa also had the old seal stuck. I lost minimal oil because I always do the following.
Never install the faring until you test run and look for leaks.

I think they stick from factory because. They do not oil the seal on the new filter during installation. Its cleaner & easier that way. That light coat will help it off next time.
I even started checking the filter to see if the seal is still intact after removal.

Dunno, but I would think you will be ok. Treat it like break-in again. bearings may have glazed. Best of luck.

I've seen it stick several times myself. My theory is it sticks cause its dry and tight, could be wrong though.....Since I wipe off the seating area with a rag I tend to catch it if its there, even if the filter goes south into the oil pan. One thing you can do to help yourself is fill the filter with as much oil as is reasonable for a horizontal mounted filter. They will always take more than you think. And the first place out of the filter it goes is usually the mains, so you want oil pressure asap. The book wants two full turns on the filter to seat fully, thats real tight but I do it that way, and use an end filter wrench and a smear of clean oil the the new filter. If the light didn't come on I wouldnt sweat it. Could have been worse. G/L.
Same here......I always wipe off the seating area so I can catch this...
winkold.gif

Lesson learned, hopefully you didn't do any damage.

Yep, I've had the seal stick to my bike many times. I first discovered when tightening the new filter. I couldn't get a tight seal and couldn't understand why. Hope everything is OK with your engine. I'm sure it is. You didn't run it that long. Let us know!

YOU SHOULD BE OK...I DID AN OIL CHANGE ON MY 06 AND DUMB A$$ ME TRIED TO START WITHOUT OIL...OOPS...DID THE SAME CLANK BUT AS SOON AS I HEARD I TURNED OFF...NO PROB...

OOOOoops!
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Brandon...Taking the faring off was a true pain in the arse the first time; but now that I know where all the little clippy things are and how it all comes apart, it will be much easier the next time.
My old o-ring stuck to the engine as well but I was able to see it with the plastic removed.
I hope everything is ok!

In my advancing age, have found that it is sometimes better to ride it 3200 miles before leisurely changing the oil with plenty of time to sit and admire your handywork and let the oil drip for a good while than it is to hurry the job at 3000 miles.
Glad it happened in the garage instead of on the road.
For what it's worth, I've always used Hy Flo filters (3 on the Busa so far)and never had any problems with the gasket (O ring) coming off the filter or leakage.
ThumbsUp.gif

Yikes! Lesson learned, and thanks for posting.. Good info for those of us who will be doing our own first service.

Hey Brother, don't feel bad, I did the same thing on my first oil change. That old seal was still on the casting and I thought it was supposed to be there, just like on my car. Your fairing being stuck on is a blessing in disguise, mine were off and when the pressure built up ...POP.....BAM.....oil shot out in a beautiful stream all the way across the garage to the right and covered everything in oil. It was a great ops check for the oil pump.....yep oil pump works. Lesson learned.

You ALWAYS want to lubricate the new filters O ring before installing . This keeps the Oring from balling up and sticking to the block when you change the oil the next time. It also helps you to get the two turns after the filter makes contact per the manual. Bike should not be hurt.

Here is what happened.  The old seal from the old oil filter was still on the engine when I took it off.  I didn't see it because of the fairing.  I was in a hurry, I didn't think about looking on the old filter to see if the seal was still there.  Now im just hoping a peace of the seal didn't get sucked into the engine.

Edit:  Success!  Both rings are there in their entirety!  So hopefully no damage was done.

oilsealMedium.jpg
Thats the 1st thing that poped into my head was the old filter seal. Learned to look for those a long time ago. Don't ask me how I know though.
laugh.gif

my friend had the same problem on his new gsxr 1000, the old o-ring stuck and it immediatly managed to pump most of it's oil right on the garage floor. the engine was ok too. you have me dreading the 1st oil change on my new busa, it sounds like the fairing is kicking a$$ and taking names.

I had a 14 too and really miss the ease on the filter removal, No fairings to remove
clap.gif
15 minute oil changes  
thumb_up.gif
. I dont see why Suzuki couldn't have done the same thing knowing these farings are a ***** to remove. Oh well I guess it's a small price to pay for the overall performace.

Back