Leaning in turn

spot

Registered
Lets say I'm in a turn going to fast do you push the inside handlebar and bring the bike down farther and ride it out?
rock.gif
?

aaa.JPG

I'm not an expert by any means, but that bike will lean pretty far over. One thing that is critical is to be in the right gear. Too high of a gear is no good. And hanging off the bike will help.

Pull in the clutch and turn... the chances are the bike will turn a lot more than you would think...

I teach the MSF Beginners class. What we tell newbies is this: If you enter a curve a little hot, look deeper and press harder. Now there is a limit to anything. This is not a cure all---by that I mean you still have to use speed that is reasonable for the curve in the road. BUT, as a general direction---we teach the above.

Pushing forward on the inside handlebar will lean your bike over further(countersteering).
So will leaning your body further into the corner.

Are you trying to be faster in corners or looking for advice if you accidentally go into a corner too hot?

Don't forget you are going to scrub more speed as you go through the corner than you think... it's a mental thing as well, so you need your mind in the game...

Pushing forward on the inside handlebar will lean your bike over further(countersteering).

Are you trying to be faster in corners or looking for advice if you accidentally go into a corner too hot?
Just wanted to know what to do when it happens cause i'm sure it will
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

My 2 cents is you probably dont want to do like 90% of the people and stand it up in a heated turn. Thats worse than lowsiding as i see lots of people dont figure out till they wreck. I dont know what to push or pull i just turn in from experience.

Just wanted to know what to do when it happens cause i'm sure it will
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
In that case,

Look and lean

Look where you want to end up, perferrably on the road
tounge.gif

And just lean, trust the bike

Look and lean

laugh.gif

learning to lean a bike over in a turn takes lots of pratice which builds confidence. Pratice on round abouts or cloverleafs. Do some reading or look at videos to understand the phases of correct cornering and body position. The biggest problem most newbies have is target fixation and they tense up their muscles. REMEMBER: WHERE YOU LOOK IS WHERE YOU GO. USE THE VANISHING POINT ---IT IS YOUR FRIEND.

Try to make the lean (amount) one motion instead of the more you get into the turn,the more you lean,throw it on down there all at once and COMMIT.You need to be on the gas as well,maybe not as much as you were when you entered the turn,but on the gas.You do not want to be "free Wheeling" IE Clutch in,if you get loose with the clutch in,the only control you'll exhibit will be hitting the brakes.Gear it down smoothly but keep it in gear and on the gas.

What Charles said,

--plus--

Do NOT chop the throttle. Gradually roll off on it.
Do NOT yank in the clutch.
Do NOT apply brakes.

The average rider may come into a corner a little more hot than they're used to and freak out. That's the cause of the accident: The rider. However, the average rider also doesn't always realize just how well the bike can handle the turn.

If you'll trust your tires, you're more than likely going to be just fine if you maintain the throttle or gently start to roll off of it. Lean and press like Charles described above, trust your tires and when you get through the turn, just pull over, smoke a cigarette and enjoy the adrenaline rush!!!

Last but not least, don't go thinking you're Ben Spies and kick it up through every turn after that! Think about it, learn from your experience and GRADUALLY and GENTLY increase your pace and continue to ride and learn.

Enjoy!

--Wag--

Warm tires are a must for pushing the limits. Some track days will help you out tremendous...

Look and lean

Look where you want to end up...

And lean, trust the bike

Look and lean
It's really, just that simple.

Once your confident with that...

the next progression would be to possibly learn trail braking.

Keith Code, (Sport Riding GuRu: Author of "Twist of the WrisT)
suggests that while it's not the fastest way around a corner, it is an effective way to bleed off speed, heading into and through the corner.

Simply applying the weight of your foot, to the rear brake will not only slow the bike but, actually enhance the lean angle, while entering the corner.
Alot of riding do it to keep a load on the engine, acting like a transmission brake on a drag bike, which will "launch" the bike out of a conrer.

Quote from a previous post- second thread down the list if you do a search with "cornering" as the keyword.

(Charlesbusa @ Jul. 29 2007,00:48)
Take your time, don't rush it.

Go to a trackday, you won't regret it. Learning on the street is much more dangerous and will take 10 times as long to improve your skill comparaed to a trackday.

Tips on cornering;
Look through the corner.
Light hands, no deathgrips.
Be very smooth with brakes and throttle.
When leaned over, don't use your brakes or a lot of throttle. Your tires are using all their grip for cornering.
If you think you're too hot once you're in a corner, "LOOK and LEAN" Don't touch the brakes.
Never lean far on cold tires.

Don't worry about the bike falling. The only way that is going to happen is;
dirty surface
cold tires
You use too much brake and lock-up your tires/tires
You use too much throttle and spin the rear out
You drag hard parts and the hard parts lift you off your bike(not an issue until you are fast)

All good advice, based on the 13 months I have been riding!

Also based on mistakes I've made, the "look and lean" comment- if you get scared in the middle of a corner, have it in your mind that you will steer and lean more, not brake and run it wide. The bike will do more than you can at this point, braking in a corner stands the bike up and will run you off the road on the outside. If you understand countersteer, and let the bike lean more it will more than probably take you around the corner safely. Braking will almost certainly cause you harm.

Back