one of Rubb's dogs might need surgery

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Had one of my Rottweillers into the vet the other day.He was suffering from bloat.Apparantly this can kill your dog.We are debating surgery.Anybody have any first hand knowledge of this situation.

Thanks,Andy.

Bloat can be real serious, the only solution I've heard of is surgery.

Unfortunately everything else I know is how to prevent bloat;
feed smaller amount more times a day, 1 large meal a day is bad
don't encourage(play) with your dog to jump, run or roll around after eating
don't let your dog drink a lot of water after eating dry food
soak dry food in water before feeding
feed soft food

Keep us update of your doggie Bro!

Hope your dog is okay, regardless of what you have to do for him. Best of luck, and you'll be in my prayers.

Good luck Andy. That is pretty common in rotts. My friend lost one to that. I know you will do the right thing, whatever it is.

From what i hear Boxers get it also.

Hope it all works out for the fella.

I lost my dog "Nicky" last year, a full bred Dobie because of this "bloat" B/S.! I had no idea about it until it was too late. He was moping around all that day and looked a bit lathargic. I thought maybe he ate some rocks and just needed to puke them up. He wouldn't eat or drink. I watched him throughout the night and in the morning, just after my wife got off the phone with the emergency Vet, he died!  Sux! I miss him a lot. He had a habit of gulping his food like it was his last meal. Surgery can be very expensive and is not always 100% reliable. Good luck Andy.

My akita died of bloat July of 06. I still think about him.

The only option is surgery. They can tack his stomach so it doesn't turn again. My vet said about $2k for the surgery (if I had caught it before he died.)

Hope everything comes out for the best.

wazzat_02_02.jpg

And if he has it now... either you have to do surgery or put him down. His stomach has twisted. The bloat is from the gasses building up in his stomach. The vet probably jabbed a needle in there and let it out... but his stomach is still twisted.

It happens to all deep chested dogs. Danes, Rots, Akita...

Canine Bloat

We thought my pit had bloat or air in his stomach, after a lot of money and meds it turns out it was cancer.

I am sorry to hear this Rubb, make him as comfortable as possible.
beerchug.gif

We had a baby lamb come down with bloat - look like he swalled a basketball. Wouldn't eat or drink - laid around grunting. Called the vet out - he mixed up a solution for us, but told us if it was a real emergency and until we could get to the vet give a very small dose of pepto bismol or malox. Bloat is fatal in sheep as well. Told us if we saw him coming down with it again to get him out and walk him to help release the gas. Said that would help.

Don't know if this helps - not a dog, but we were scared none the less.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that Rub. The only thing I heard about bloat is what Charlesbusa said. I'm praying for you Andy.

I will offer my prayers as well. I'm sorry for what you are having to go through.

One other piece of info: Don't feed your dogs ice cubes. It causes the food in their stomach to harden and not be digested. I learned this the hard way.

I am so sorry to hear that. I lost one dog to bloat many years ago. I also saved a Samoyed of mine once he started to swell up and I lifted him up by his hind legs and shook him then took him in to the vet. The vet said it was just luck, but then what are you going to do?
My big rottie Tank seems to have some similar problems when I run him too much. I was thinking about having his stomach stapled to prevent this.
Best of luck, and you'll be in my prayers.

Aw Rubb, that sucks... hope it works out, those are family members there. Damn...

I am sorry to hear this, Andy. I know that we had to have Jake, our Great Dane, undergo a stomack tack a couple years ago. The tacking keeps the stomach from being able to twist.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do as a group to help, we all know how much you care for your animals.

geez...prayers sent rub.

i just got a pup, thanks for the info all.

Sorry to hear that Andy. My prayers are with you, the Mouse, and your pup.

I feed my pups twice a day, keep them crated for about an hour after they eat. Keeps them from running to the water bowl until I let them out. It also keeps them from fighting over the food. My Springer gulps his food and water. My Lab eats and drinks slowly. My vet told me she likes the way I do it, and they're both in great health.

My pack is praying for you pack.

What pizzes me off, is my vet never ever mentioned that fact that Dobies can get this, and what to watch for. I may have been able to help get him to the vet faster.

Back