bad day

dewie

Registered
so I'm getting the bike ready to start polishing the frame and I only had the gas tank and the drivers foot pegs left before I can start with the prep. The gas tank seemed simple, I didn't have any problem with the hose's that people said are "welded" on. So the last thing was the hing part at the back of the tank. I figured the four bolts came out of the tank and waa laa. I got the first bolt out and didn't look at it close and started on the seconed bolt and relized I broke both of them!! aaarrrggghhhh
banghead.gif

Not a major problem, So then I seen the two bolts that hold the bracket to the frame and the tank was off. I'll get some new bolts and a e-z out and it should be fixed. I think they made those bolts out of swiss cheeze.

So after getting pissed off about that I took a deep breath and settled down and started on the foot pegs. All the allen bolts came out fine and then I was working on the cotter pin for the rear brake bracket. I seen that if my plier slips while pulling the pin out I would scratch the swingarm. So I covered the swingarm with a rag and pulled and sure as sh!t it slipped and it went thru the rag and now I have a wicked scratch on the swingarm!!
guns.gif

Any tips on how to remove a scratch from the swingarm?? The only way I can think is a 4-6 extended swingarm.. har har

Sorry about the long post, I just need to vent.

I thought **** like that only happened to me. If you are going to polish the frame, most of the scratch should come out. Dents won't but a scratch should mostly buff out as you are sanding and grinding on the frame before the final polishing. Lots of work. I polished the frame on my last bike and it ended up looking awesome.

Dayum Homie you did have a bad day. Maybe touch up paint
or powder coating. Don't feel bad I dented my gas tank the
first time I polished the frame
bump.gif

Yep some times U just can't do anything but loose. I cut a ride short to get some stuff done at the house! Spring broke on the garage door! then the mower thru a rock thru the front door (glass) Plus everyone that did the rest of the ride is sayin it was the best of the year! But hey we are better off than alot of others...
beerchug.gif

I assume your talking about theses four bolts. Help me out here, did you turn them the wrong way to break them or was it that nice green paint they use preventing the treads from turning ?

Picture_962.jpg

You should polish the swingarm as well, that will get rid of the scratch. Had my bike fall off its stand in a trailer on the way down to Daytona 2007 and it scratched the **** out of the right side of the swingarm. Definately aggrivating!!!!
guns.gif

Oh yeah, last week I was wiring my girlfriends hand warmers into the fusebox on her ninja 250 and dropped the tank on the cement. Two huge dents in the tank!!!!! I was so pissed.

I feel your pain, my friend.

I busted the glass on my guage cluster putting my lowering triple clamp on. I was also lowering a buddies zx10r and it flopped off the stand on its side while he watched
laugh.gif
. I work on bikes all the time but stuff happens to everbody, but man it still sucks when it happens.

I assume your talking about theses four bolts. Help me out here, did you turn them the wrong way to break them or was it that nice green paint they use preventing the treads from turning ?
yeah, those are the bolts. They came out so easy, it didn't snap or fight me at all, it was like breaking apart play-do. I only broke two, so if the e-z out works well I may as well break the other two and put in better bolts!

I know it's not a big problem, just a piss off. I had no plans of polishing or chroming the swingarm, but I guess well see now. maybe I'll find a nice sticker to cover it up
ThumbsUp.gif

after reading all these horror stories we should start a thread of who has the worst luck. It puts a smile on my face to see others suffering like me.
beerchug.gif

sounds like you bought a used bike and someone else either used locktite or really cranked them down. Never seen a hinge bolt snap before, even in impact situations.

In the same boat. Looking to get new frame cover. Putting on fairing screens utilizing soldering gun method. Fronts went really well. Rear frame cover, thin plastic s#!T melted really good and fast. Left dimples in all the spots where the contact points where made.. Did'nt realize it was happening till I was on the last screen..
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif

300 bucks down the drain.

Least you got a good excuse to extend now.
beerchug.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

That's why I won't even Change the Oil on My Bikes. That's also Another reason why Both of my Bikes are Still FULLY Stock. Everytime I even think about touching them....Something Happens... Same Luck with Cars. Guaranteed If I buy a Car New/Used I am going to have problems. That's why I always get the Warranty....

stuff happens!!!

lesson.taking the tank off that way is the hardest,the 4 bolts are hard to get to anyway..just unplug the tipover switch and remove the 2 12mm bolts holding the bracket itself..

and if Yor polishing the frame its going to look funny if you dont do the arm..
cool.gif

ps.polishing is alot of work..gl!!

sounds like you bought a used bike and someone else either used locktite or really cranked them down. Never seen a hinge bolt snap before, even in impact situations.
she was brand new off the show room floor when I got her, and the tank has never been apart before. I've broken my fair share of bolts in my day, most of them end up with a loud snap and some bloody knuckles.. These are sh!t bolts, I'm surprised I'm the only one who has had troubles with them.

stuff happens!!!

lesson.taking the tank off that way is the hardest,the 4 bolts are hard to get to anyway..just unplug the tipover switch and remove the 2 12mm bolts holding the bracket itself..

and if Yor polishing the frame its going to look funny if you dont do the arm..
cool.gif

ps.polishing is alot of work..gl!!
Yeah, I wish I seen those bolts to the frame before I started with the four in the gas tank. I just have to do things the hard way. I've seen pics of the bikes with polished frame and no polished swingarm and I think they look allright. If it bugs me I'll do it, I have enough down time with winter I can do both and still have time to spare.

I know how much hard work it is, I just finsihed the pipes and they look peemp!!
cool.gif

cool.gif

Back