New bike questions

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
2 weeks ago I picked up an 04 busa and have since put on 300 miles. When I first start it up cold it bangs and thumps, I guess I could describe it as a rod knocking in a car, does clear up once it is warmed up, but I am just getting paranoid since it is a brand new bike. I have also been looking for a set of bolt-ons and cannot decide between Yosh and D&D. I am not really looking for any performance just sound. Does anybody have any sound clips of the two. (and yes I have used the search feature). Any help would be appreciated.

I dunno about yosh but I love my D&Ds

Copy_of_rich_hayabusa0003_r1.jpg

PF, run the choke just a little higher til it warms up. Mine sounds like that if I let it idle too low at first.

I have a full yosh system but I think the D&D's are louder.

D&D are a little louder if you like the noice. They sound great. The Knocking should not be happening. By your explaination it sounds lke metal. Take it in and check the timing chain. 300 miles still under warranty, so don't be shy make them fix it now, before some thing more serious happens.

Thanks for the responses. Hawaii, I do what you spoke of and have it on full, and it still makes the sound. Ninja, I let my father hear it and he thought that it was just normal for a bigger displacement bike. My other bike is a gsxr 600, so I thought he might be right. It still worried me, that is why I asked for the boards advice. Does anyone have any sound clips of the exhaust? I would much rather hear them before buying. Again thanks for the quick responses and would appreciate even more info.
Thanks

<!--EDIT|pipefighter248
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081096629 -->

nice....

I'm with NE....take it to the dealer to have it looked at. No sense having something go wrong at triple digits.

I will be off from work this friday, I will plan on taking it to the dealer weather permiting. Any sound clips of exhaust, have searched almost everywhere.

Image002.jpg

While I am at it, might as well post a pic of my old baby. She will be missed, but with the busa, I'm sure I will get over it.

Image013.jpg

Many people have asked about sound clips, but I don't think many have been posted. By the way, welcome to the board!

Welcome to the board dude........Is yer fast idle lever pulled all the way back on startup??.......if not pull it all the way back and see if it goes away.
If it actually sounds like a rod knock....you have a problem, but a cold Busa does lope kinda funny and make alot more noise than a warm one.
As far as cans go.....if you want loud, go with the D&D's......I had em on mine, and they sound beautiful.......The Yosh cans are quite quiet in comparison......the sound is just not there.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. One more question, I will more than likely get the d&d's bolt ons. Will I have to remap when using these or any boltons so I do not burn up anything internally, or with just bolt ons I will be fine? Thanks again all.

I just ordered a set of D&D bolt ons as well (pipecity.com was the cheapest I found online). As for mapping, from what I gather, it will help some, especially since the D&D's are extremely free-flowing as far as bolt on's go. However, it's not necessary. In fact, it's not 100% necessary with even a full system... it'll just make much more power if you do.

BTW, nice color choice!
wink.gif

Thanks tiresmoke. I was going to order my set from pipecity also. I was wanting to check about the remapping because I did not want it to effect the drivability of the bike. Not really concerned about the performance. Also, by your description you picked a nice looking bike also.
biggrin.gif

Ive got the D and D bolt ons. got the bike in july 02 and the pipes august 02. Heed this advice: they are the loudest, raspiest bolt ons ive heard on a busa yet. Good or Bad, your choice! Most of the gearheads i meet love it. I do too. 2 things you need to do with them:

First order of business: get the PAIR mod. 2-3000 miles and your bike will be backfiring like crazy(actually AFTERFIRING, but we'll call it backfiring cuz thats the common term). Its embarrassing and not good for your ride. The backfiring isnt as prominent at first, but gets worse and worse and WORSE the longer you go without the pair mod on D and D's. Im not sure if its as big a problem with other brand pipes. 6 inch torch-like flames out the pipes aint good for anything on the bike! Check out Brock Davidson's kit. a bit pricey for what you get, but ITS MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR IT! Top notch finish and instructions, in my book. No screwing around with your own home brew machined parts!

Second: I know with my 02, I needed a Power Commander III. The low RPM stutters and surges SUCKED. The pipes F with the efi map BIG TIME. From about 2000-4500RPM in low gears like 1st or 2nd, low speed riding sucked and took a surgeons touch to be smooth in traffic. I had a custom map built when i bought the Commander because they discounted the dyno time since i bought the unit off the shop. But I have also downloaded and run the D and D map provided by Power Commander and it seemed pretty damned smooth. Great if you just want more streetablity and dont want to spend $200-300 for custom dynoing.

The total for all this crap plus the pipe is kinda steep after all is said and done but its a SWEET sounding pipe and worth 2-3 more horses. Thats my $0.02...well, kind of a long post....maybe $0.03!

Back