Tell me about Ogden, UT or Pearl City, HI

Projekt

Registered
Just going through some preliminary research for a prospective job in these two places.

It is military affiliated so it will more than likely be onbase at Hill AFB or some Naval activity in Pearl City.

Anybody been there or know some details?

Thanks in advance.

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor in the early 70s. Pearl City was a neat little town back then..about as far as you could get away from the concrete and steel of Honolulu back then. The problem I had was the cost of living (Navy enlisted pay) and Island fever. I just wanted to get on my bike and ride for hours without seeing the same places over and over.

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor in the early 70s.  Pearl City was a neat little town back then..about as far as you could get away from the concrete and steel of Honolulu back then.  The problem I had was the cost of living (Navy enlisted pay) and Island fever.  I just wanted to get on my bike and ride for hours without seeing the same places over and over.
I just ran into a Hawaiian lady. She said Pearl City is too expensive and "towny" for her.

bump.gif

Anybody got something about Ogden, Utah?

Bueller?

A person in my wife's unit lives in HI, and was looking for a place to live in Pearl City. They wanted $2800 for a 2-BR 1BA unit that was 1200 sqft.

When I was working in Boston last year, a few of my co-workers use to to go to Ogden to do testing of Defense systems near the Army Base. They said the area sucks and there is nothing to do. They would go there every few months for a couple of weeks. It's only about 30 miles North of Salt Lake City, so how could it be?

I wouldn't live there, but maybe it's similar to your current location, where ever that is.
winkold.gif

well I redide in honolulu near pearl city and yup.. its sucks... Island is small and you run with the same people and the same places everytime but the view is always nice around the Beaches and all the tourist... makes for great bike pics... this place is a bit pricey and the hauses are indeed small.. the teft rate is high and the recovery of said stolen items in low (close to 0) clubing is just like ridding, same people and same places... I don't see the advantages of a small island other than the weather is great all year round (even if it rains)... good luck..

I just moved from Hawaii June 06. Pearl City or PC is a **** hole. Seriously, if you dont mind your property being stolen, vandalized etc move there, however, PC is not the only place to live. I lived in Kapolei/Makakilo, closest to Barbers Point NAS you can get, quiet, affordable and way way less crime. Move farther West towards Wainae and you run into major crime, drugs etc.... Moving more S. central is Ewa Beach, which connects to a small NAS, part is very nice, upscale but afforable and quiet, more southernly is old Ewa = dirty, higher crime etc... There are other places as well, like Mililani, which has a very nice and somewhat affordable area, less crime etc. especially on the Mauka (mountain) side. This is assuming the base your talking about working would be Pearl Harbor, or Barbers Point.
On the other side of Oahu is the MCB and there are some nice areas surrounding that as well.

Central isle and moving south towards PC it rains A LOT, and the rain is no joke at times, makes very nasty riding. Lots of crazy punk kids zippin around in their fart canned import beaters street racing, much more common since the track closed in april 06, after the lease ran out and it divided the racing community. I still have close ties to the island and will return to visit. At one time I wanted to retire there as I had many career opp's, but since moving and not getting reassigned back there, I'll pass. Overall too much crime, drugs and discrimination (I'm haole (white) and my wife is Haitian (looks ***** or black)) and we dealt with more issues there than anywhere else I've been stationed. Of course an equal amount of the discrimination was due to me being Army... more less Hawaiians (or a good part of those living there of Polynesian and Hawaiian descendants) would prefer to have the Military removed from the island. Hope this helps.

Man it looks like CAT3 is on a roll... but I do have to support every word he said... and Ewa isn't as nice as you remember... the crime rate has just got higher... and the new trick here is to watch your house, cut phone and cable lines and steal everything they can... including x-mas trees ..... I got home today to find out my alarm system had no outside connection and I got that fixed in a heart beat... since the motorcycle theft is on the rised during holiday seasons...
very easy to see for sure is checking craigslist and see all the vehicles and motorcycle parts been sold with "no papers or for parts only" and there is nothing the authorities will do about it..
guns.gif

trust me I can wait the get off this rock...
firedevil.gif

Ogden pretty much sucks but it's close to some decent riding areas from what I hear. Also, it is close to Miller. I remember last year saying if I could just live on the paddock at MMP, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

riccoh, I lived barely into Ewa, at the Arbors... nice place, of course stuffed as many units into the smallest area like sardines, but 2 car garage, roving security and cameras at the gates that actually worked for $1600mo/ bedroom, 3 bath, LARGE living room (in Hawaii standards that is) and a 12'x 8' "backyard". Only there for a year, but loved the dry area and the back road was easy way to make it to the Hawaii Raceway Park
smile.gif

Yeah, too much theft, drugs and punk asses.

I grew up in PC and Aiea, it was nice in the 70's but Hawaii being such an international location has way more than the average crime and drug rate.

HOWEVER  it really depends on what you like, I prefer less crowds and the wide open road... If you like night life, like to see and be seen and lots of cool stuff to do then the city is the place to be. Kinda compares to San Diego.  The north shore beaches are incredible especially this time of year with great surf and regular girls on the beach look like models. The outer islands are more my style, Kauai / Kona ...  

If you want some more info go to  www.hawaii.com  click on the moving to Hawaii link.

I'll be there again for most of January.  Gotta get my Surf on!

Oh and sat next to this cutie last January ...

Hawaii_Jan07_119b.jpg

Oh, that's the other thing about Ogden. They get pretty good cold and snow every winter so nice as the road or tracks may be, there's some time during the year when you won't be able to ride.

--Wag--

Ok, here's the solution ... nov-feb in Hawaii and the rest of the year in Uuuuuuuuuutah!

the above pic was during trials sesh for a surf contest at Pipeline on Oahu's north shore.

This shot was the next day on Oahu's west side where I had my own solo surf sesh.

Hawaii_Jan07_097b.jpg

Be poor with scantily clad beautiful women around you

or

be not as poor with all the riding, street/Miller, you can handle.

Do you like to ski or snowboard??

Back