Got Luci back from the shop

I don't believe it has anything to do with the cans being drilled.  I would bet money that it is not that.  What does their "fuel system check" consist of.  If it is losing power and cutting out above 8.5K I would say a lack of fuel is a likely candidate.  The other possibility is an electrical problem but I would equate that more to heat than rpm.

JM $.02 worth.

Don
I agree. This sounds more like an injector or fuel problem. Do you have a Power Commander?
rock.gif

have you check the little things like the plugs, filter, coils?  if the pump is putting out correct pressure then i'd say you have an electrical gremlin... those are the worst.  Does your FI light come on at all?
She has new plugs, filter was checked with the fuel system. I don't know about the coils.

I'm thinking out loud here and could be wrong but I've had mysterious electrical problems on airplanes before related to heat. Increased heat on a component would cause high resistance and therefore cause intermittent electrical problems. Does it happen as soon as you crank up the bike or does it start after it is warmed up?

Does it just run out of steam or does it start to break up/backfire @8500? Did the dealer verify fuel pressure @8500 rpms and UNDER FULL LOAD? Fuel pressure maybe find at idle and low loads, but fail to keep up with fuel demand above 8500 rpms and under load.

The only safe way I know to verify fuel pressure is to take it to a dyno, and have a wideband verify AFR when the bike starts to lay down. Having a fuel pressure guage installed would also be a good idea. I used to work on cars, and the only way to verify a bad fuel pump/fuel supply issue was to drive the car with a fp guage installed that you can see while driving. Not a good idea on a bike, at the speeds you are seeing the problem.

The only safe way I know to verify fuel pressure is to take it to a dyno, and have a wideband verify AFR when the bike starts to lay down. Having a fuel pressure guage installed would also be a good idea.
This is where we would start. If this all checked out,we would look at coils,and down to the computer from there.I would emagine this is something simple.We have not been stumped yet!

How about this test for the dealer? 1) Unscrew 8 bolts. 2) Replace two exhaust cans. 3) Screw on 8 bolts. 3) Test.

Exhaust theory sounds like total B.S.

That aside, anyone who loves their bike as much as you SHOULD put a 4-2-1 (I'm thinking Muzzy) and a PC on it. If you need to use the dealer's theory to justify investment to the wifey then...
whistling.gif

How about this test for the dealer?  1) Unscrew 8 bolts. 2) Replace two exhaust cans. 3) Screw on 8 bolts. 3) Test.
I didn't want to pay them for something I can do that easily.
Sorry, BW ... I just figured they might have done it for you to figure it out. If you were here in Philly, you could borrow mine to check it out. Anyone nearby that you could borrow them from? And if it's not the problem, drive it down there and show them?

Cold and rainy here
sad.gif
I'm tuning the suspension today by the numbers, but won't be able to take her out to test.

Dennis...

1. i agree that "the drilled can theory" is utter B.S.! and typical of dealer mechs who.."can't find it".

and?...

2. imho?...if it's not a fuel pump/pressure related issue?...the next place to check would be your "Tank Vent"...even a partially clogged tank vent can have this very affect at the upper revs....where the most demand for fuel is..and the clogged tank vent causes a negitive presure lock cause it can't let the air in fast enough to let the fuel out.

and this is coming from a guy...

06FBASH4.jpg

that was "here"...

06FBASH3.jpg

with you...

L8R, Bill.

06FBASH4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
breaking up at 8.5k rpms.

I would check the plug gap, then coils, then cam timing. Then if all was good I would swap ECU's.

Dennis...

1. i agree that "the drilled can theory" is utter B.S.! and typical of dealer mechs who.."can't find it".

and?...

2. imho?...if it's not a fuel pump/pressure related issue?...the next place to check would be your "Tank Vent"...even a partially clogged tank vent can have this very affect at the upper revs....where the most demand for fuel is..and the clogged tank vent causes a negitive presure lock cause it can't let the air in fast enough to let the fuel out.

and this is coming from a guy...

06FBASH4.jpg

that was "here"...

06FBASH3.jpg

with you...
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Thanks Bill. Since I swap tanks back and forth on the bike, I may have kinked the vent tube.

Back