How did this happen

Hmm.  Somefin' wasn't mounted right, that or the tire was really getting outta shape at speed.  
rock.gif

Maybe it was the wrong kind of air in the tires?

LOL had Ohio air in them.... It will probably be better when I get the forks back in bike.. going from the factory .85 to 1.0..the front end was pretty wishy washy as anyone that followed me at the gap could see, I had to compress the front going into the corners to get it to steer at speed... was not very fun wondering if it was going to turn or compress..

Ok (photos to follow tonight) but I pulled my bike down for winter service and upgrades. The forks are off to Gixerhp for overhaul and I noticed that the front fender was worn away by the tire on the very back lip (nearest the radiator)

This is not a rub, this is a 1" section that was worn away by the tire and I do not have a clue how or when it happened.. nothing ever came loose or fell off the bike. It just appears to have been held against the tire and worn away..

Hi speed runs:  A few 10 and 14 mile runs from Indiana to the Ohio border at the 170mph range (what ever this thing runs at WFO) We have a divided 4 lane that is pretty new, perfectly straight but for one small turn (well small at 60).  Perhaps this rub was from that?

I will post images tonight but suffice to say it looks like you took a bite out of the back fender...
When I get back to GA I want to check on the spare front fenders I have for an 06 red/black. I can't remember if one of them had a little scratch on it or not. If you are interested I will send you the lesser of the two that I have. That's if you want it....

I needed to add a picture, I just don't feel complete if I don't add a picture to a thread I contribute in...

There are two fenders on the shelf (right about the left (clutch) side mirror on the bus)... now only if I had a shot on the condition of the fenders. I replaced mine with a black one, I liked the look a little better...

DSC08137.jpg

This is what your fender looks like if they put a tire on the bike that is to tall. At 140mph the tire that is rated at 120 grows and rubs really badly. At some point you may have picked something up that got stuck for just a second and then fell off.

HPIM0289__Medium_.JPG

yup, your horn is hitting the top of the fender but only a little bit so it must be only when you're really hard on the brakes. It also looks like you have some tire clearance issues too.

Ted, you had a black fender on at fall bash? if you are going to Spring bash and towing, I could just pick up a fender from you there rather than shipping it back and forth. I will reuse this one for now (make sure no further issues) and the fact that I never noticed this until I took the fender off would seem to indicate that it is not easy to see anyway.

Thanks for all the help!

What kind of Brake lines do you run? If they are aftermarket or maladjusted on the fender they may be the cause.

My fender on my 07 looks like that from hitting the horn.Was a little nervous when i first seen it but ok now that i know what it is..

Heya Bogus

Mine has hit there too. Its from hard braking, the rear of the fender comes up and has pressure put on it from the horn (mine is actually an airhorn compressor there). I seen mine after I had taken my front wheel off for the winter also.I will be relocating the horn for sure....don't need that to grab at 250+ kmh.....BOOM see ya fender!!

Cheers,

Tony

Back