Rollcall: people w/ Busa as a first bike

Hey who is going to speak for all the "Busa first bike" guys that are unable to post, dead or quit riding after the crash? I think all you are going to find are the "successful" few...
beerchug.gif
+1. This is exactly what I was thinking...

Not to say you can't have a Busa as a first bike, as we've seen, they are members here who have done it, however, I think there are a lot more who did who are not around to speak.

The common thread I've seen here is "respect", "took it slow" "learned about the power" etc. Cool beans!
thumb_up.gif

Unfortunately, we will never hear from those who did not respect the Busa's power.... Heck, even experienced riders put her down.

I wonder if having a Busa as a first bike is what kept me alive, because I DID FEAR IT !! Maybe if I did get the 750 first I would have had no fear, and just got on it, and started flying around, like an idiot, not realizing what I actually had under me ? Just another way to look at it.

I wonder if having a Busa as a first bike is what kept me alive, because I DID FEAR IT !! Maybe if I did get the 750 first I would have had no fear, and just got on it, and started flying around, like an idiot, not realizing what I actually had under me ? Just another way to look at it.
+1 that is what I said.  Just like anything else.  It is not the product but the user.  Cars, Bikes, Guns, Drugs, and any other harmful thing.  You chose your own fate most of the time.  I got a call last month about a guy from Greensboro who stepped up from a 250 to a 750 and got killed in less than a week.  He started out on a smaller bike, so where is your theory there? A new rider will respect the bike more that a experienced one. Everyone with so called riding experience that I let ride my bike wants to get on it like they have been riding it all the time flying up and down the road. When I am teaching an inexperienced rider how to ride they respect it so acting foolish is last on their list.

I have to be honest...
The only riding experience I had before the BUSA came from the MSF beginner course and an '85 Honda GL1200 Interstate that had been parked for seven years and I bought for $40 later to restore spending another $300 or so.
I rode that bike for a very short time; weeks to months until I lowsided it and damaged the forks. Put it back together and it is still in storage.

Bought my Hayabusa at Coleman Powersports after putting a leg over it and thinking this really fits, with a lot of confidence but little real experience and had it shipped to Europe. Drove it from Bremerhaven, Germany to Sarajevo in 3 days. A month later I laid it down just scratching up the right side. Two months later I was intercepted by a left hand turning driver and wrecked it. Rebuilt it the next season and kept on riding.

I am a bigger guy 6'4" 260, so I mostly bought the BUSA for the reputation and the fit. Wanted to have the king of the road. Thinking back, I do not regret the purchase at all. However, I would probably have benefitted from more experience on a tamer, used sled, maybe a bandit or a something similar. I finally got to spend some time riding a CBR600rr and realised the huge difference in steering response, but since I more or less earned my wings on the heavier busa I didn't exactly feel cheated.

Overall, I would recommend that others who have a similar high speed mentality learn on something smaller but I can't complain whatsoever about my experience.

Inexperienced riders should start with something that will not bother them too much in the event of a wreck. This is the only thing I would say hurt about trashing my two month new BUSA. It hurt more than the bruises and tumbling.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
06limited1st Thats a nice ride down 90 but do 90 east from 25 in elgin to rocken roll mcdonalds on ohio ave in 17 min.[/quote]

haha KTW that is fast! I live closer to the city than Elgin so when the season starts up again Im gonna try that but in reverse.. and now I have a TRE so mayb I can shave some time off lol

"Maturity" is a must.  If ya ain't got it...........buy something smaller until ya got it.  PERIOD.
That's pretty much it right there. I got my 06LE a few months ago. It now has 7000 miles on it. (I know it's not quite the 10,000 you mentioned, but I'm sorry.) Anyway, if you are mature enough to ride within your limits, don't try to impress anyone, turn down the chance to show out just cause your friends are yellin "wheelie man, WHEELIE!!!" Then go for it. I did, it was my first bike, I do have self controll, I've kept it under my limits and it's been an awesome experiance getting to know my machine. I still have a lot of learning to do with it, but not overstepping your limits is the key factor in this decision to get a busa as a first bike or not. I can't tell you the number of times I've said "no" to ppl asking me to roast the tire, do a wheelie, or just blow the doors off everything around me. You may get called a chicken, p***y, baby, etc. but it's better to called a few names than to have hospitle bills and hundres or thousands of dollars of repairs to do to the bike.

Oh, by the way, just in case anyone was wondering, I'm 20.

... and I don't mean just getting down the road safely. I'm talking about going into a blind turn, at speed, realizing your too hot, and being able to correct it without nailing the brakes, which I've seen a couple of times (never ended pretty). One thing I've learned is, it's not just knowing "how" to do a certain manuver, but knowing "when", and "what" manuver to aply at that certain time.(if that makes any sense as to what I'm trying to explain). I think that is what a smaller bike might teach, just my thought ?  Just look in the paper EVERY DAY, you will see 05, 06, 07 Hayabusa, ZX14, GSXR 1000,... for sale with under 500 miles on it. There's a reason for that, I think ?
I totally agree. My first bike was an 81 CB900 and at the time I thought this was a bike that was too big for a beginner and the Busa is lightyears ahead of this.

What you explain is the exact thing that happened to me. I came into a corner at night, and didn't realize how hot i was entering it. I didn't know how to correct the error, and I wrecked. Luckily, the damage was easily (and cheaply fixed) and I wasn't injured.

IMHO, buying a busa as a first bike is STUPID. I don't blame anyone for wanting the bike, or even getting one, but it isn't smart to learn to ride on one. First of all, it's a bike for advanced riders, not beginners. Just buy a cheapo small 600cc for a year until you get used to riding.

I ended up buying my CB for $600 at the beginning of the season and sold it for $1800 after investing another $600 in wheels and exhaust, and repairs. That was 10 years ago. If I started on a busa, I probably would have wrecked it and lost a bunch of cash/use of legs/life.

I was on the Busa after taking the MSF course and putting maybe 2000 miles on a Harley...never been on or around sport bikes prior to bringing the Busa home, never even rode it home (Mike did) because I was nervous as hell LOL

I took my time, fielded the concerns of my parents all along the way, learned a few lessons the hard way, like it is expensive to replace the side panels when you drop the bike in your driveway, but all in all, it's been a great time. No regrets, but I've heard Mike and my father both comment to those that can't believe I'm the one that just parked the Hayabusa in a line of Harleys that I ride safely, I don't feel the need to showboat or ride beyond my means...I ride within my abilities.

There are those out there that can and have done the same...there are those that we never hear from again...it's a very personal decision for each individual, tough to have one answer across the board, but it's always good to point out both the positives and negatives to just hopping on ANY motorcycle, especially the faster sport bikes on the market...

My first bike was a Bandit 1200S. When I bought it I took a lot of heat from everybody saying it was way to much bike for a beginner. The only reason I bought it was so I didn't have to buy a second bike after quickly outgrowing the first.

As I was learning to ride the Bandit, I thought that if a person was careful and kept their wits about them that it is ok to have a big first bike.

After riding the Bandit about 12000 miles, I had a desire to have a faster bike. (this was partially my wife's doing believe it or not) so I decided to buy a Hayabusa. The first time I took the busa for a ride, I was convinced that I had been wrong about big first bikes. The feel of the bike restored the same respect and fear that I had felt when first learning to ride the Bandit.

No matter what you started on, I think that the busa demands your full attention and respect.

OK as I read this tread I have to say that I'm on both sides of the experience factor Yes I have over 20k miles as a rider, and yes that was over 10 years ago.
I have never bought the bikes the I have owned (love my dad for that) but after 10 years I did buy a Mini bike(49cc Bushido) that I use make my friends fat rotwielder chase us for a few hours...that was fun until he catch me (no longer a mini bike but is one of his favorite toys to drag around)
keeping with the whole not buying a bike thing, my wife bought me a Busa for birthday and I completly agree on the maturity and respect for this kind of bike...
after 2 months with the 07 it only has 600 miles on it... just like some of my other toys she is part of the Garage queen crew...lol
I do have my endorsment and have completed the MSF twice in 12 years...

06 LE was my first bike, rode a couple of neighbors mini bikes a few times. Took the MSF course and waited 3 years before getting a bike. I have 6000 miles on it now. Respected the weight and power, power mostly because while most are buying these bikes and lowering them, I wish I could raise mine. I'm 6'3 2401bs, work out with long legs and arms. So when I sit on my bike, I have plenty of bend in my knees and I don't need no risers because by straighten out my arms, I'm sitting upright and not stretched out. The bike did fall over in the driveway for not having the kick stand fully extended and I picked it up by myself. Didn't scratch nothing because I have sliders on it.

Busa as a first bike, maybe because of the power would be a bid consideration becaus of the weight, no. A goldwing will give you a hernia trying to hold that monster up at a stop light.

"Maturity" is a must.  If ya ain't got it...........buy something smaller until ya got it.  PERIOD.
that quote pretty much sums it up-MOST (not all) young riders are all ba11s, no brains...of the 10-20 riders I regularly talk to over 25, NONE have had serious accidents in the last two years.
Now, the other 15 under 25
rock.gif

1)wreked his '05 R-1 doin a wheelie down a local 25mph street-into the back of a Van, n broke one leg.
1)wrekd his '04 GSXR750 wrapping it around a guardrail comin up an offramp w/a turn too fast. Rashd up half his face in the process.
1)Is still in P.T. down in Chicago from accident back on Sept. 3rd. He came out of his coma right before Halloween...
1)flipped his '05 GSXR1K doin a wheelie....into a wall...the wall won.

if ANY of these guys had a Busa-they'd be DEAD...all have ridden my bike at one time or another cept the guy w/the '05 1k (becuz he's scared of it), and all stated its too much bike for them to have 24-7...IMO, any bike seems to be too much for them.

Busa's are great bikes for folks with common sense, fear of death n physical pain, and good insurance....so why I have one is still beyond me, LoL

FWIW-I wrecked on my Busa (playing in twisties) after having it only 3 mos....n dr. said if not for 19" neck, I prolly woulda snapped it flying off bike at 50mph-but dirt is much more forgiving than concrete, so I got lucky...

A GOOD CUSTOMER!!! picked up a New 2007 on a Friday, and DESTROYED it on the following Tuesday!!!! Total Miles on Bike: 70....Total Cost to repair with OEM Parts: 8750.00 Plus Labor, Utilizing eBay 4750.00. 100% financing on Bike 10500.00, plus Repairs this is now a 15000.00 Stock Busa now worth 7200.00 (No Insurance), also Not wearing Proper Gear (a barely walking road rash!!), No MC License, No Motorcycle Safety Course!!! This kind of activity keeps me in Business, But Breaks your heart to see the Damages!!!!
No Matter what your First Bike, Take the time to Learn to Ride, Do some Beginner Track Courses, Motorcycle Safety Course, Read the Books on Sportbike Riding Techniques, etc.
And Make SURE You WEAR THE PROPER GEAR!!!!!!! What an Expensive and Painfull Lesson thinking you are Valentino Rossi Just because you have a Cool Fast Bike!!!!!!

PB222707.JPG

Ok, I do not quite fit the bill of 10,000 miles riding but I did buy a 00 busa for my first bike. I never touched a bike prior to this and I never took a safety course. I should but my work schedule does not allow it. I have racked up 5,000 plus miles since may. I taught myself how to ride. With the help and some pointers form a friend and reading things on here, I think I have gained some ok to good riding skills. I came into this realizing what I was getting on and have and will always respect for what the bike is. I ride with guys with new 600's and they are pretty fast, no busa but you can kill yourself just as quick. I think even quicker in my opinion. I have rode thier bikes. They handle a little easier in the corner because they are so light and you can get on the gas more because the don't have the throttle rseponse. That to me is just a false sense of skill and security. I am glad I picked the bike I did. It fits my size( 6ft 255lbs) and I love the size of the bike. I think if I would have picked something smaller I would have wrecked it already or worse due. Its not a beginners bike but if approacher with the right attitude and mindset it can be an awesome first and last bike you will ever own.

Ok Hard call for me because I've been riding since the age of 5 years old,Im 37 now. My first street bike was a 1978 GS 850 at 16 years old. My weight at 16 was 140 pounds WET LOL the GS 850 weight was 583 Dry, My dads bike was a Honda CBX and I know the bike didnt have the power of todays hayabusa, But they did have the weight to them. I think having a busa as a First bike is a good thing and a bad thing You Must Respect the power i think if you keep that in mind you will be safe, But on the other hand if you have no experience the Busa is like a Sled in the turns and if you are a unexperience rider compaired to a 600cc or a 750cc the busa is a handful. So I believe starting on a smaller lighter bike as a FIRST BIKE you will be a better rider over a period of time, rather then jumping on a Busa as a first bike.
PS If your a novice Mountain Climber (Mt Everest) SHOULD NOT be your FIRST CLIMB. LOL
Jon (Loomis).

First street bike for me, 04' Busa. What people fail to realize is that any bike can kill you. Riding is dangerous, but to classify the Busa as a bad first bike, I disagree.

Not that I have stats to back it up but most bike accidents involve other vehicles which has no bearing on what type of bike you ride.

When you take other vehicles out of the equation the amount of accidents due to speeds up to and exceeding 186mph has to be fairly low.

600's Can achieve 150+ off the show room floor and can out handle the Busa. And yet people recommend these every day for a first bike, doesn't make sense.

You never see exotic high hp cars put in this catagory. And yes, you are more susceptable to injury on a bike, but at 150+ in a car your also dead.

But with that said the problem does not lay with the bike it lays with the person.

If you don't pocess the follow you shouldn't own a street bike period

some mechanical knowledge
lack of or poor coordenation
good reflexes
self presservation
respect
maturity

Not that having these abilities will keep you alive out on the road but it's a good start.

Mind is a 2000 ( Plus some Hi-per work added )This is my first bike in many years. I ride slow and safe showing this bike a lot of Respect.You screw around without knowing how to ride well and this bike will kill you faster then a heart attack. In fact in the 100 miles I've put on it since getting it a few months ago I've never gone over 4000 rpms in any gear. But damn if I'm not happy riding it. And smile each time I see it in my garage.

It's allready been said acouple times, but even a 600 can flat out move...I know, I've allready peaked my Katana 600 at it's 120 mph and the bike is stock.
smile.gif

But top speed isn't the danger, hell I can hit 90 on a scooter. It's the excelleration. The difference in my Kat going from 0-60 and a 'busa doing the same is somewhat major. That is where the problem lies, your time to react from an 'Oh sh!t' is greatly shortened on a more powerful bike.

That being said, I started on my Katana 600 and while I love the bike and will never get rid of it...I still wish I had started on a Hayabusa. I'm only a year on the bike and I'm wishing I had allot more power. I don't like having to open up full throttle just to get the damn bike to ****'n'get. I could care less what top speed I can hit, but when I'm switching lanes on the highway because I'm behind a guy that is going 45mph and I'm switching into a lane that is traveling at 70? Yeah, I want my bike to go from 45 to 70 in a blink...not sit there and think about it. Did I buy my bike for safety? It's a motorcycle! Of course not. I bought my Kat because at the time it's what I could afford and like I said I love the bike...but someday she'll have an older sister parked next to her.

Though one thing I did learn...I was wrong about red being the fastest color.

View attachment 1223384

Not that I have stats to back it up but most bike accidents involve other vehicles which has no bearing on what type of bike you ride.

When you take other vehicles out of the equation the amount of accidents due to speeds up to and exceeding 186mph has to be fairly low.
To bounce off your statement, most MVA fatalities will involve another motor vehicle. Most accidents are not reported and the point that I am trying to make re a busa is a bad first bike is that in a single vehicle motorcycle accident/fatality the cause will likely be inexperience/rider error.

I agree that speed is not the primary issue but it does contribute. Most of the accidents at the Dragon are in/around the posted speed limit. In a winding road like the Dragon/Angels Crest/etc where motorcycle control is valued higher than speed, the experience needed to get out of a bad situation will have been gained/learned by starting on a smaller displacement bike. (I am not talking about supersports as I dont recommend 600 SS as a first bike either). Experience/training would impart knowledge about looking through the curve, riding the best line, braking, apexing, rolling on the throttle. These are complicated skill sets that are better learned on a bike other than the Busa or any other SS.

The post has been made that a rookie mountaineer wouldnt/couldnt start with Mt Everest. Who here would do a marathon as a first event? The reason why I started this thread is to see the thoughts and opinions of those who started with the Busa. Yes, it takes maturity to control the accelerator. Maturity will not help when a newbie needs to call upon training and experience in pushing the handle bars.

Good points everyone. Maybe this can be a sticky on the newbie section.

I've been riding on the street since I was 16 (47 now).

first bike - '73 TS185 Suzuki dual-purpose (called "enduros" back then!)

second - '75 RD350 Yamaha

third - '74 (or '75, I forget!) DT360 Yamaha (never licensed, trail rider)

fourth - '81 GPZ550 Kawasaki (first new bike)

fifth - '81 KZ750 Kawasaki

sixth - '83 GS1100E Suzuki (rode this for 18 years!)

seventh - '81 CB900F Honda (super clean, picked up for $500 '98)

eighth - '01 ZRX1200R Kawasaki ('busa's little bro, still own, awesome bike!)

ninth - '07 Hayabusa

Pretty obvious progression here...to be honest, this was mostly due to not having as much disposable income early on, not my lack of desire for killer performance. But I am glad that is the way things worked out for me.

BTW, I've been down on all but the 'busa and the ZRX, mostly slow speed, low damage low sides. Broken shoulder blade on the Kaw 750 was the worst injury (front wheel washout from gravel on road).

If a 'busa is one's first ride, I don't think one would ever come close to being able to utilize most of the performance potential. With smaller bikes, you can push the envelope a little and educate yourself; as you move up in horsepower, the steps are small and manageable.

I couldn't even imagine riding a 'busa when I was 16...

Blue1

Back