Am I about to make a big mistake????

Eagle747

Registered
I've been riding bikes for 35 years - not a born again - always had one. At the moment I have a new Bonneville and a GSX1400 (they don't get them in the USA as far as I know.

I've had a few neck problems.... had an op to remove a disc but it seems to be OK now. Rode a Triumph Daytona 955i a few years ago but found it too uncomfortable and swapped it.

I really really want a new 08 Busa.... can't help it. Gotta have it.

Will it cripple me? I was thinking of adding bar risers which might help...

I'll probably ignore anyone who says 'don't buy a Busa'!!! I'd just like to know what you think I'm only 5' 9" so maybe it'll be fine - won't be 'folded up' like a 6 foot plus rider...

Come on - tell me it's a good idea! :-)

Go test ride one and see how your back feels. Adding risers adds a tremendous amount and allows you to sit more upright.
beerchug.gif

Buy it you'll love it. I'm 55 been riding since I was 15 and the Busa is by far the best bike I have ever owned.
beerchug.gif

I have lower back and neck problems (several collapsing discs, herniations and arthritis) and the Busa is my therapy.

My advice:
Get a double bubble windscreen to keep the air flow above your head/chest.
Get some risers so you don't have to bend over as far.

Then ride it like you stole it.
firedevil.gif

I have lower back and neck problems (several collapsing discs, herniations and arthritis) and the Busa is my therapy.

My advice:
Get a double bubble windscreen to keep the air flow above your head/chest.
Get some risers so you don't have to bend over as far.

Then ride it like you stole it.  
firedevil.gif
yeah, what she said!
super.gif

I am 52 and have been ridding since 1980. I love my busa, I even bought a 06 after totaling my red 04! Don't forget the buel mod for lowering the pegs its helped me a lot!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

32y/o. 5'9" 150 lbs. Stock bars, stock seat, stock pegs, DB wind screen. No throttle lock/meister. No back or neck problems. On some long 6-10 hr days, my right pinky falls asleep but I shake it off and it doesnt come back the whole day. Im not sure what it is, too much weight on the bars or the death grip for hours?

My one contribution to this discussion is that on the Busa, you will be leaned forward. I ride a ZRX daily as my commuter. The Busa is my touring bike because of the wind protection/fairing and the leaned forward posture. Because Im leaned forward, my neck range of motion is limited as my neck is in extension (chin pointed up) vs. flexion (chin to chest). Looking over my shoulder to check blind spots is not as easy as it is on the ZRX (a BMW like sit-up-and-beg ridding position.) Its primarily for this reason that commuting is better/easier with the ZRX. Its also lighter and more maneuverable for lane splitting and hooliganism. For intercontinental distances, yeah the busa rocks.

Bottom line: no neck back problems. My L shoulder tendonitis acts up some times after 6hrs straight riding. R hand as stated. Butt- 150lbs doesnt afford much padding, but I can go 90-120 min before screaming to get off. A tobin will fix that... if the group buy goes through.

Stich.jpg

Yay! Thanks guys! I've booked a test ride for Saturday at GT in Plymouth (so long as it doesn't rain - they don't like their demos getting muddy!).

I knew about the bar risers but I didn't know about the Buell footrest mod - I'd better do a search and find out. Will try a double bubble but I'm quite short - so may not need it!

Now need to decide whether the GSX1400 or the Bonneville go in PX. The only thing my wife and I don't see eye to eye on! I want to keep the Bonnie, she wants to keep the GSX.... Can't keep both - pocket and workshop not big enough...

Can't wait for that test ride.

Mark

The Busa will be a good fit for you...I'm just 5'6" and it suits me perfectly for longer runs...I had very unexpected back surgery 2+ years ago and riding doesn't affect that at all...it actually feels good to ride
smile.gif

I did have to lower my Busa, but beyond some minor bling, it's stock...

Just do it!!! And welcome to the oRg!
beerchug.gif

coolold.gif

The steps are all over the Org. I had brass bushing made at work, but some have found them at the auto parts stores locally.

Left_Peg_complete_sm.JPG

I'm 57 also.Been riding bikes for 45 years. I have some lower back problems as well. On my last cruiser bike, after 100 miles I thought I was going to pass out from the back pain. On the busa I can do all day trips no problem. My biggest concern before getting the busa was I had an operation on my left knee years ago, and have about 70% of the range of motion in that knee. I could just bend my knee enough to gat my foot under the shifter. That kept me from getting the busa for some time. I finally got one and after riding it for awhile my knee felt even better and I have more range than before as the movement in the suspension gives my knee a workout when I hit bumps! Now if I can just find a way to get a medical deduction on my income tax for the busa, that would be sweet! You may not feel comfortable on the busa at first, but over time you will find the right riding position and learn to hold yourself in the seat with your abdomen. The other mods already talked about will make you more comfortable. I say go for it, the busa is an awesome machine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said (parsley or not)

I am 6'2 buell pegs (photo above) and helibars with risers and I am a happy camper.. still trying to find the "comfy" seat

I just wanted to say welcome to the site! Not sure the level of your pain, but there are definitely some comfort mods that can be done. Test it out and see how you like it and then then make your decision. If you get it, enjoy it as much as possible!

Right - that's it! The Busa is a high speed medical device! I'm going for it! Got to go to a meeting now... work gets in the way of play..... :-(

Sounds like you have come to a decision, welcome to the oRg! Please post up some pics when you get her home, and post up some pics of your currrent bikes as well, we love pics.
beerchug.gif

I haven't even had the test ride yet but I'm already lost in all that speed and power and wind tunnel design.... it'll make my weekly trips from Cornwall to Slough so much more fun - and quicker. Now to find non-reflective number plates and a good reliable radar detector!

I may need to post a pic of my divorce too...!

I haven't even had the test ride yet but I'm already lost in all that speed and power and wind tunnel design.... it'll make my weekly trips from Cornwall to Slough so much more fun - and quicker. Now to find non-reflective number plates and a good reliable radar detector!

I may need to post a pic of my divorce too...!
It's a great bike an I am sure you can make it work. I got my orange 08 one week ago and have already put 600 miles on it. Adjusted and lubed the chain today and will soon change the oil. I have been able to put in 200 mile rides pretty comfortably. Yea, it's a big bike but it's light on it's feet and rock solid in the turns. Smooth over bumpy pavement too. Opened her up in first gear a bit and did a nice little power wheelie so be careful if that's new to you. Good luck, I'm sure you will love it
ThumbsUp.gif

I bought myself a Busa for my 50th birthday and am loving it. I've always wanted a sportbike but have been put off by the cramped quarters on them but the Busa filled the bill perfectly from the first time I sat on one.
ThumbsUp.gif

Back