Vortex rearsets + airshifter

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
So I got some Vortex rearsets for a GREAT price off another member a week or so ago.  They fit perfect and installed in minutes.  Then I went to install my airshifter and things went downhill.  

I knew that since I was moving the pegs back and down it would take a little modification to make it work, but I didn't think it would be that hard.

I machined a new clevis to extend the reach of the cylinder and that works great (see pics).  But once I fitted it up I could see that with the new angle the body of the cylinder interfered with the swingarm bolt.  So I machined off about .125" off the side of the cylinder for clearance (see pics).

After that I realized the clevis pin contacts the shift linkage when upshifting (see pics).  One way to maybe fix this is to use shims/spacers to move the rearsets out slightly allowing the pin to miss the linkage - ironically about the same amount that I machined off the side of my cylinder.

I dunno - no big deal I guess.  I am done F-ing with it today - boss wants me to do some real work now anyway.

shifter29.jpg

i think you just need to sell the vortex's to me since you just beat me out of getting them the first time
laugh.gif

j/k, that is going to look good when you get it all adjusted and working
beerchug.gif

Fixed. Turned down the head of the pin to about half it's original thickness then used two washers to hold the pin flush against the shifter.

Next week I'll get my buddy to powdercoat the new clevis black and it'll all be good.

FWIW - these new rearsets rock. But ... the knurling on the pegs is brutal - NAILED my hand on one of them when it slipped putting the pin in - bleedin all over the place.

fixed2.jpg

(semi @ Aug. 29 2007,14:46) i think you just need to sell the vortex's to me since you just beat me out of getting them the first time
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Sorry man! These were such a good deal that I honestly thought something must be wrong with them for that price. I was pleasantly surprised - got them within days of paying and they were in great shape.

laugh.gif

Back