chain

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
the other day i noticed my chain all of a sudden looked a little rusty!!! what the @&^%#!!!

some of the guys said i probably have'nt lubed it enough...? does it look like i need a new chain?

i clean with kerosene and lube with honda lube every 500 miles.

i'm dropping the bike off for it's 4000 mile service tomorrow and IF i need a new chain i'd like to upgrade, which do you guys recomend?

thanks

IMG_0587.JPG

Looks a little gunky but not corroded.... You have to measure a chain for stretch/wear or visually look it over for obvious signs of detoriation. Like missing o-rings, bent/worn pins, etc...

(Revolution @ Aug. 06 2007,10:26) i clean with kerosene and lube with honda lube every 500 miles.
I think your Suzuki chain is rejecting the Honda lube.

j/k
smile.gif
Check it for kinks or binding in addition to the stuff the bug mentioned above. Is is making any noise?

nah BW the chain aint making any noise. just out with local busa riders and noticed it. one guy had over 7000 miles and his looked clean! he said mine looked dry and that's what might have contributed to the rust.

Just clean and lube it a little better than you have been
all_coholic.gif

I've seen guys go 20k+ on the stock chain
super.gif

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 06 2007,10:54) Just clean and lube it a little better than you have been  
all_coholic.gif

super.gif
I am at 15k on the stocker, but mine hisses like nobody's business.

Not sure about Honda Lube because I've never used it.... is it thin and oil-like? Is it slinging off and letting the chain dry out?

I like to use Maxima Chain Wax (gold can). It's awesome - goes on wet and gets thicker onec it sets up and doesn't sling off. It stays on better than the other lubes I've tried.

(Nekosohana @ Aug. 06 2007,11:13)
(BA BUSA @ Aug. 06 2007,10:54) Just clean and lube it a little better than you have been  
all_coholic.gif

super.gif
I am at 15k on the stocker, but mine hisses like nobody's business.
Life of your chain depends on how well you clean and lube...plus how much you beat on it (wheelies, burnouts, etc. etc....)

Charlesbusa went 32K I believe on his...some people will destroy a chain in 5-10K
sad.gif

! got 19K out of my stock chain. Chain wax every 400-500 miles. Cleaned and chain wax every 1000. And I ride a little agressively every now and then.
wink.gif

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 06 2007,13:18) Life of your chain depends on how well you clean and lube...plus how much you beat on it (wheelies, burnouts, etc. etc....)

Charlesbusa went 32K I believe on his...some people will destroy a chain in 5-10K  
sad.gif
My original lasted about 6k What are you trying to say?
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

The 75-80 passes at the strip with a sticky drag tire put the hurt on it. Good thing is, I was watching it carefully for wear.

The ZZZ I replaced it with has been about 2.5k and another 150-175 passes and shows no sign of wear at all....

(Professor @ Aug. 06 2007,11:24)
(BA BUSA @ Aug. 06 2007,13:18) Life of your chain depends on how well you clean and lube...plus how much you beat on it (wheelies, burnouts, etc. etc....)

sad.gif
My original lasted about 6k What are you trying to say?  
laugh.gif

tounge.gif

The 75-80 passes at the strip with a sticky drag tire put the hurt on it. Good thing is, I was watching it carefully for wear.

The ZZZ I replaced it with has been about 2.5k and another 150-175 passes and shows no sign of wear at all....
Your a DRAG racer
laugh.gif
race.gif

laugh.gif

the honda pro lube does'nt fling.

i'll see what happens when the dealer cleans it during the 4000 mile service.

i cant be running around with a rusty chain, not a good look.

If you kept the chain in adjustment and have cleaned and lubricated on a regular basis, your stock chain should go more than 6K miles. I replaced mine at 27K miles because it was stretched out.

fortunately 05busale has adjusted it for me.

after seeing 5 other busas parked side by side next to mine with me being the only chain with RUST on it...

i'm not talking about stretch, i'm talking about the "rust".

if i end up getting a new chain tomorrow you can bet i will be known as the LUBE KING from now on!
laugh.gif

this is my first chain drive bike, thought i was lubing enough but guess not.

(Revolution @ Aug. 06 2007,13:26) the honda pro lube does'nt fling.
If your not getting any fling at all, then you are probably not applying enough lube after cleaning.

ahhh haaa, thanks BW!

just picked this up yesterday while dropping off the bike for service. they had this one and the suzuki "race" stand with the longer handle. the salesman said the shorter handle is better for lifting by yourself because of the shorter reach to stableize the bike with both hands...? would that be true?, or should i exchange for the "race stand with the longer handle?

IMG_0592.JPG

Back