Toronto to Mississipi and back (with a few stops a

chinto

Registered
I got home yesterday after a fantastic 10 day ride with a good friend.  Ian is a member on here but rarely views the site.  

The following Map roughly outlines our travels.  We did not use maps for this trip and I couldn't tell you our exact route but you get the idea.

http://maps.google.com/maps....1b24a7d

The points in the map do not necessarily reflect stops along the way so much as they do the general route.

I was riding my busa while Ian was on his 99 kat 750.  We packed up the bikes at my house and were on the road by about 9:30 am

100_1382.jpg

100_1385.jpg

after a short ride and a long wait in line at customs we were finally through.  The busa did not like the long idle time though and would not start on its own power.  Spent about an hour on the US side trying to get a set of booster cables.  

meattheborderintoNY.jpg

We had a pretty good day of riding and setup camp somewhere near scranton PA

firstnightcamping.jpg

The next day we found the bridge that looked like a pretty good backdrop for some photo's.  Turns out it was a state prison and the guards were cautioning us about the use of camera's.  We got a few good shots though:

3busaatpaprison.jpg

meandbikesatpaprison.jpg

We rode a bit further and spotted this cool roadhouse with bike parking outfront

3ianatPAroadhouse.jpg

the weather co-operated with us pretty well until we hit Virginia. We got dumped on pretty good so we decided to pull over and wait it out:

4underbridgeinVA.jpg

4underbridgeinVA2.jpg

We made sure to stop in at the Kat riders rally on our journey for a bit of riding and a few beers. (not at the same time obviously)

5cherahola.jpg

5lookoutareaoncherahola.jpg

For any of you that have never ridden on these roads, they are definitely worth the trip. Although i do not reccomend riding the dragon at midnight with 100+ lbs of gear strapped to your already heavy bike. Let's just say it was an experience! All of the roads in the area are fantastic. Even the rain couldn't keep us grounded for too long:

5ontheskyway3.jpg

5lookoutareaoncherahola2.jpg

5reelinhimin.jpg

5cheraholarain3.jpg

5cheraholarainhelmet.jpg

we even met a couple of members from a few of the boards I visit. blackdeath (from the katriders board) was in the area but didn't realize the KR rally was going on. His bike is in the middle. He was in town with a couple of friends on Busa's (ludicrous speed, and semper fi). (read their ride report here:

5cheraholaroadhousefriends.jpg

5blackkatcaughtintherain.jpg

After a couple of nights in the area, we rolled on to Alabama, where we stopped in at the Barber motorsports museum. This place is a must see:

7barber3.jpg

7barber4.jpg

7barber2.jpg

7barber5.jpg

Riding through Alabama was incredibly hot but the highway was ours with no LEO to be found. Here's a few shots along the way:

6sideofroad.jpg

6restarea.jpg

6restarea2.jpg

We eventually setup camp in mississippi:

8mississippicamping.jpg

8mississippicamping2.jpg

We had some visitors at our camp site in the morning

8mississippicampingducks2.jpg

after a few more nights of camping along the way, Ian's Kat started having starter troubles and we had to bump start it a few tmes. The next day we made about a 1000 km run home for the final leg of the trip.

The trip was a fantastic one and I would not change a thing. Other than I would pack a little less clothing. I brought a few items of clothing that I never used. Most of our gear was for camping and I would not want to do with out some of the luxeries like an air mattress and a coffepot and small stove.

We used Autocomm's for the trip and they worked really well. We were using Motorola radio's with the AC units and they did their job. We had to change channels occasionaly and sometimes the Vox settings were a little off, but the sound is good. i will look to add the PTT feature soon.

cheers

Wow! That looked like a blast. I would love to try something like that someday. Great pics, thanks for sharing!
beerchug.gif

Now THAT'S A TRIP!!! Just awesome!! I'd love to do a tour like that one day...great pics too! Thanks for sharing!!!
beerchug.gif

Killer wright up eh.. Awesome pictures to boot.. Thanks for taking me along.. Looks like you guys had a great time.. How many miles total round trip was it?

(DR1300R @ Jul. 25 2007,10:48) Killer wright up eh.. Awesome pictures to boot.. Thanks for taking me along.. Looks like you guys had a great time.. How many miles total round trip was it?
yeah we had a good time.

I was abit worried when we stopped for our first night of camping in PA. We followed the signs off the road to the campground. Turns out it was a gay campground...yeas thats right GAY!!!!

I never heard of such a thing. The guy told us we were more than welcome to stay and that it was a clothing opional S&M weekend.

We kept going!

In total the trip was somewhere around the 4000 mile mark. Not entirely sure though as i did not think to check my exact mileage before we left.

8mississippicamping3.jpg

8mississippicamping4.jpg

4bikesatrockwallinVA2.jpg

That is an awesome trip!! Looks like you had a great time. I hope to do a trip like that someday!
super.gif

Back