From Drag racer to Sport tourer in $400

Ludicrous Speed

Registered
POST NOTE:  I had to break this up as there were too many pics to post at once.......

Myself and a few friends were finally able to coordinate our vacation schedules and planned a trip to the Gap.  

For those who do not want to read my entire story, here is the Cliffnotes:  I bought Cortech Sport Saddlebags and a Super mini tank bag, rode 400 miles from Southern IL to Sweetwater, TN with two others and rode the Cherohala Skyway and the Gap.  I had the best time I have ever had on a motorcycle, period!!  I am not a corner carver, but was really getting into it by the end of the day.
Total miles:  1076 in three days.

Jason, John, and myself all hit the road at 7am

03LeavingJohns-1.jpg

Jason on his 05 1k, John on his 06 Busa and me on my 04 Busa

At the first gas stop in Hopkinsville, KY we saw this:

05BIGasstruck-1.jpg

No idea what it was carrying........??

A scenery pic on the way in TN
09Ridedown.jpg

Dinner that evening at the Cherohala Crossing.   http://www.cherohalacrossing.com/  
Great BBQ and atmosphere.  Cute Waitress, too!  
jump9.gif
  Sorry, no pic of her.....

John and Jason
10CherohalaCrossing.jpg

11CherohalaCrossing.jpg

The next morning we woke up two hours late, due to the non-existent wake up call. Got on the road shortly after nine am. Headed off to the Skyway in-route to the Gap. In some ways, the Skyway is as challenging as the Gap. Looonnnnggg higher speed sweepers with some sharper curves thrown in. Lots of nice scenery and overlooks to stop at.Try and watch your speed, there are some curves that are deceptive, and even though we did not see any cops, they are reported to be patrolling it.

13CherohalaSkyway.jpg

15CherohalaSkyway.jpg

Me
14Cherohalaskyway.jpg

Jason with my bike
19Skyway4594ft.jpg

22CherohalaSkyway.jpg

My bike and Jason's 1k
27CherohalaSkyway.jpg

I almost eliminated my chicken strips on the Skyway. They were gone completely on the front and all but 1/4" on the rear. The front looked really scuffed and had the little balls on it for some reason. I guess it pushes (that is what someone told me)??
28Cherohalachickenstrips.jpg

After Getting off the Skyway, you have about a thirty minute ride to the dam that was in the Movie "The Fugitive" (Starred Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford)

The three fugitives
35ThreeFugitives.jpg

The getaway rides
36Bikesatdam.jpg

The southern entrance to the Gap is just around the corner from the Dam

We arrived at the Gap following a heavy rain and wandered around the lodge for a while and talked to some who just got done running the road. It turns out that the TN State Police were in attendance and were handing out souveniers like crazy.. A guy on a Harley got one for 27 mph over.
SHOCKED.gif
I'd hate to think what they would have nailed US for.
ices_rofl.gif

37Justarrived.jpg

Anyway, we start off on our first run. We ride it slowly enough that me being in the rear, I hardly ever saw a brakelight come on. We weren't poking, just not pushing it. Or so we thought.... About thirty turns into the run, John (on the Busa, in the lead) slowed up more than Jason expected, Jason checked up and lost his line, causing him to hit the brakes. The bike stood up, and off the road he went. I quickly pulled over and ran back to Jason and his bike. He was OK and I pulled his bike out of the ditch. We then took the obligitory pic, as he was mad I didn't take one of his bike in the ditch. Luckily, all it got was some rashed bodywork and a broken shift lever, and a slightly bruised ego.

38Dumpedit.jpg

From there, we rode back up to the scenic overlook and shot the breeze with some others before finishing the run, and then returning to the lodge.
39Gapoverlook.jpg

42Gapoverlook.jpg

As we left to go back, I ended up behind a couple on Yamahas that were absolutely flying and one guy on a Katana.  I purposely let them go ahead so I would not be tempted to try and keep up and ride over my head.  After a short time I was right on the Katana, and the Yammies were long gone.  All of a sudden, the Kat guy blew his line and skidded to a stop an inch from going off the road!  He looked at me and I waved him on.  I thought I may have been pushing him, so I found a place to pull off and wait on my buddies and take another couple pics.

40Gapoverlook.jpg

Since Jason had nothing to contribute to the tree, he parked his bike by the tree for us to ridicule him a little bit

52Jasonattree.jpg

Luckily, I had nothing to add.....
49Nothingtoadd.jpg

It then started to pour down rain, so we decided to have lunch and get our shirts, etc.  Prices were surprisingly fair, both on food and fuel.   The burgers were made to order and quite large.  Good food!

By this time it quit raining and we were waiting for it to dry up some, so we did our souvenier shopping, shot the bull and headed out for one last runup and back, before leaving.  I was in the lead, followed by Jason, then John.  I was really feeling it, and was pushing a little harder.  I did not want o go over my head, so I was being cautious, but was on the brakes hard and leaning hard and having a blast!!

Then the fun quickly ended as I came out of a corner and saw a guy walking. When I got straightened up, I saw a blue bike down in the ditch and I quickly stopped. I asked if he was ok, and he thought for a minute and said "I don't know. " I went up the road about 30 yards and pulled over and ran back. He still could not answer me about his condition, and as I reached his bike, my buddies showed up to help. We got his bike out of the ditch and up the road and parked it. Some rash, but nothing bad. Still ridable. I asked him if he felt he could ride and he said "No, I am hurting now." I asked where and he replied his arm and shoulder. I asked him to take his jacket off and he refused, saying he can't move his arm and he is afraid he won't get it back on. I lift the jacket and move the collar of his shirt to see his collar bone poking up into the skin about 3/4 of an inch. I realize the he is really hurt and we try to call 911. Of course there is no signal anywhere on the entire mountain, but we had to try. I ask him if there is anyone with him and he tells me what his buddy is riding and wearing. I set out to get him and meet him just before the overlook, flag him down and tell him what happened. We ride back and are trying to figure out what to do. By this time a TN state trooper on his personal bike has stopped and one of his buddies also. We are trying to talk the guy into getting on the Harley (since it had a backrest) to get to somewhere to get help. Finally a car comes around the corner and I flag it down. Luck has it that it is two ladies who are nurses and agree to take him to a clinic in Robbinsville to medical help. By this time he is spitting/coughing up a little blood. His buddy leaves to follow and will come back to get the bike with the trailer. Hope he is alright!

After all this, it takes the enthusiasim out of our day and we slowly ride back to the lodge and fuel up for our return home.

We get one last pic

55Gettingreadytoleave.jpg

The Skyway was great on the way back until halfway back when it started raining pretty hard. We rode on through it and made it back to the Cherohala crossing again and decided to stop there for supper. We met a couple guys from Canada (Ottowa, I think? One is a member here, I believe he goes by Chinto). They rode their Busa and a Katana all the way down, camping every night and said they had no map!! These guys came into the Gap at midnight the night before and did not even know they were on it till halfway through. I would not want to ride that at night, let alone with a hundred lbs of luggage!!!!!!

View attachment 1143647

View attachment 1143648

View attachment 1143649

View attachment 1143650

Couple cool pics from around the restaurant
60Bridgeatcrossing.jpg

61Cabinatcrossing.jpg

Side note:  All day long, Jason had been sending pics to a friend who was unable to come.  This provided me with a good idea.  Our waitress was extremely cute, and I explained about our friend and asked if she would pose with us holding a sign.  She agreed and here is the result. Yes, I realize she is covering the goodies. They were more than ample!

56yummyAmber.jpg

We talked to our new friends from Canada for awhile before finally heading back to motel, tired, but satisfied.

Woke up the next morning and it was raining again by the time we left.  Glad I bought rain gear!!  Blew through a few speed traps with a cager blocking for us, got no tickets and had an uneventful (but sore) ride home.

My ass doesn't hurt, it is my legs!  From being up on the pegs and sliding back and forth.  If you ride the gap hard, you don't ever sit, you are in constant motion from side to side.

Keep in mind, I am not a corner carver at all.  I like to drag race, and my bike is set up accordingly.  I rode it there with the back lowered 2" and a Shinko 003 on the rear.  I had no real issues with the handling, and I loved every corner.  I would go back next week!

If you haven't ridden there, I highly recommend you do.  A few things to think about:

There is no cell service, so it will be a long time to get help if you get hurt!!!!!

Go in the middle of the week (less traffic, but there were still several hundred bikes there)

Watch for people crossing the line into your lane (happens a lot)

RIDE IT SLOWLY until you feel comfortable  

Don't worry about holding faster riders up.  Don't wave them past, they will know when to pass.  If you are in front of some people and are holding them up, wait until there is a good place to stop, then pull over.

If you are behind a car or bike that is too slow and you cannot get past, pull over, kick back for a few and watch the action.  No sense trying to get around and hurting yourself.  Youcan always ride it again.

But above all, be careful!  The day you ruin may not only be your own......  There were three fatalaties two days before we got there.

The Gap will definitely remind you about your riding skills. It has a way of keeping a rider in check.

If you have time, make sure to ride the Cherohala Skyway 143, between Tellico plains and the Gap, it is worth the trip.

The end........

Whew!

beerchug.gif
I live 94 miles from the overlook...if you decide to come back give me a shout out, I would like to meet you. This applies to anyone else that may decide to ride this way.
super.gif
I really enjoy meeting fellow Busa riders. Here'a a shot of me on the dragon...

IMG_2847sm.jpg

lurk.gif
Enjoyed the tour of your ride, glad Jason's alright.
bowdown.gif

Love those fast black Busa's
wow.gif

Sorry I did not get to meet you........

I was going to post up about going, but so many things were going on in the weeks before that I never got a chance.

And I will definitelybe going back next year!!!

By all means post up when you head this way. There's always someone from the area that will gladly play tour guide. Generally it's Ray or Tim, but someone will answer the call.

The Cherohala is a great road with some very high speed sweepers. You're right though, there are a couple short tight curves thrown in to keep you awake.

Glad you had a good time.

Dan

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Go back in September for the fall bash!

beerchug.gif

Back