Fender & Fairing 120 LED Signals

(InfiniteReality @ May 26 2007,10:04) Easy to make your own boards, just time consuming compared to buying them at the store.  BUT you can make them any size and configuration you want so that helps when hiding them and the wires.
smile.gif

Blank boards I got at Radio Shack, they're 5x7 boards I believe and $5 per board.

I order all my LEDs from www.LEDShoppe.Com.  Always good LEDs, quick shipping, cheap and direct from Hong Kong.
smile.gif
Thanks for the answers...
beerchug.gif

smile.gif

I finally broke down and took an hour in Visual Basic to make an LED calculator that will calculate the resistor size you need per set of LEDs in series. it'll also calculate the resistor value if you put up to 5 sets of those in parallel as well. I have it almost done, but no way to host it for others to download. Would anyone mind hosting it??

Here's a preliminary screen shot of what I got:
InfiniteLEDz.jpg

(InfiniteReality @ May 21 2007,06:27) Still lovin' the exhaust on the bike. Sounds just right to me.
smile.gif

Thanks for the props! Nah, not near Mobile, but the concept for LEDs is simple to do.
smile.gif
At a cost of $40 total and some time, well worth it IMO. Plus still have LEDs left over and I'm not done yet.
smile.gif
BTW all the white LEDs also have equal number of orange ones that operate with the signals yet. I just need to pull the bike out of the house so I can crank it (12v versus 13.7, makes them brighter) and get some pictures & video of them in action too. Signals were actually the reason I did this in the first place.
smile.gif
very nice bike ..is the gsx-r exhaust hard to make work? any mods to get to work? thanks

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Man that looks good
beerchug.gif

You guys are killing me every
time I turn around yall are
making me ad another winter
Mod to the list L.O.L

(NX95240 @ Jun. 04 2007,21:08)
(InfiniteReality @ May 21 2007,06:27) Still lovin' the exhaust on the bike.  Sounds just right to me.
smile.gif

Thanks for the props! Nah, not near Mobile, but the concept for LEDs is simple to do.
smile.gif
 At a cost of $40 total and some time, well worth it IMO.  Plus still have LEDs left over and I'm not done yet.
smile.gif
 BTW all the white LEDs also have equal number of orange ones that operate with the signals yet.  I just need to pull the bike out of the house so I can crank it (12v versus 13.7, makes them brighter) and get some pictures & video of them in action too.  Signals were actually the reason I did this in the first place.
smile.gif
very nice bike ..is the gsx-r exhaust hard to make work? any mods to get to work? thanks
Nah, not hard at all. Just cut off the stock butterfly valve and get a piece of pipe welded on to replace it and mounted up to my Yoshimura mid-pipe. Alot easier than I thought it would be and I can swap it out for the RS3 at any time!
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

how big is the Led calculator u made, and if it's not that big of a file, you should be able to email it to whomever needs, and then everyone could pass it on. also, where do you purchase your resistors, and how are you sealing the strips for weather proofing? i just ordered 1500 red and blue LED from the ledshoppe, and they should be here in a day or two. can't wait to get this going.
p.s. i'll set up a dedicated ftp server for a week or two if you want me to host that calculator, and pics and vids of your work. let me know, and we can spread the word to people interested.

Where would a guy with no LED experience go to get a tutorial on how to do this?

I have done some Google searching, but have had little success.....

The LED Calculator is maybe 1.5 megs zipped with install and everything. I can't email it from home, but only email it from work because GMail won't let me send EXE files through them. Anyone know if Yahoo will?

Resistors I got from radioshack and I seal it up with liquid electrical tape or if I'm applying it to the inside of the fairings I'll seal it up using the epoxy I use to attach it to the fairings.
smile.gif

If you understand how an LED works and how series and parallel circuits work, you can make th eboards... Pretty simple and once you do one you'll undertstand it alot better.

i'll set it up for you if you can email it to me. i'm pretty sure that yahoo will let it through, kinda surprised gmail doesn't. the led turtorial is almost like following the pics listed here, can't get much more informative that this. also the led calculator at http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz helps a lot as well as the one that Infinity has created. it sux that i just ordered 1500 LEDs and they will not get here untill i am gone, going to Destin Fla for vacation this sunday. any riders in the area or know of anyone, let me know and i'll try an hook up with them. peace out.

sweet looking setup i think i might have to give it a try because i have the ufo taillight and and i like the brake and running lights but i want to switch out the turn signals because they kinda suck with an attention getting brake light you really cant tell what your trying to do and this way i can still keep the clean look without sacrificing my safety

I'm actually running my LEDs at 3.4v @ 25mA. I definitely have no issues with them being dim. Are you sure you used the right size resistor?

BlkDrgn, I even made a board for my UFO undertail... 122 red 20000mcd LEDs in it, I didn't even bother trying to use the bulbs that came with the tail.
smile.gif

(InfiniteReality @ May 18 2007,13:46) Not even sure if you can do this with the LED strips you can buy from the store, but I figured it was a cheap and easy way to make me more noticeable when I'm turning, plus I have under bike lights at the same time.  

There's 72 LEDs in the fender with 36 on each side.  In the 36 LED cluster 1/2 are orange 5000mcd LEDs and 1/2 are white 13000mcd LEDs.  In the fairings there's only 48 LEDs total, 12 of each color on each side.  

After I made the boards I sealed them all up.  I used some 5 minute epoxy to attach the 36 LED clusters under the fender.  I had to drill a hole in the top of the fender with a grommet to run my wires through. Everything was heat shrinked as well.  
For the fairing strips I alternated clusters of 6 on the strips I made.  I just put them in a wire loom and zip tied them to the frame pointing the direction I want.  I think it needs to be brighter so this weekend I'll make another strip on each side because the fender is brighter than the sides.  I'll have to think of a way to light up the bottom fairing hole now too.
smile.gif

I have a switch to turn on the white LEDs all at the same time and I have the orange LEDs per side hooked up to the corresponding signal.  

SNC11087.jpg

SNC11095.jpg

SNC11110.jpg

SNC11113.jpg

SNC11144.jpg

SNC11181.jpg

SNC11183.jpg

SNC11184.jpg

SNC11186.jpg

SNC11190.jpg

SNC11192.jpg
Send some pic's of the back of the board and what size resistor did you use

I didn't take any pictures of the back of the boards and they're already installed on the bike. For the resistor size, you'd have to calculate that depending on how you wire them.

i figured it out. was using the wrong resistor. thanks man. i have a few ideas i'm gonna try on a painter set i am playing with. going to drill the holes in the bottom and shine the LEDs through them. see what happens.

(InfiniteReality @ Jun. 12 2007,05:50) The LED Calculator is maybe 1.5 megs zipped with install and everything.  I can't email it from home, but only email it from work because GMail won't let me send EXE files through them.  Anyone know if Yahoo will?

Resistors I got from radioshack and I seal it up with liquid electrical tape or if I'm applying it to the inside of the fairings I'll seal it up using the epoxy I use to attach it to the fairings.
smile.gif

If you understand how an LED works and how series and parallel circuits work, you can make th eboards... Pretty simple and once you do one you'll undertstand it alot better.
I have a problme findinf the resistors

I made some 12 , 6 and 3 light strips in parrell. they say i need a
150ohm 8 watt resistor
39ohm 3.5 watt resistor
82ohm 1.76 watt resistor

i cannot find. wherr can i find or should i add more lights so I can use radio shack resistors

Please help

post a pic of what you have, and a list of what LED,s you used. need to know the info that the manufacturers would give you, like this

Emitted Colour : ULTRA RED
Forward Voltage (V) : 1.8 ~ 2.2
Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : Average in 8000
Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA

Back