Turbo bike

(jjmetheny @ Mar. 28 2007,12:38)
(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 28 2007,09:43) I bet though that your grand total costs were >4000.00 though.
But if I told you the grand total cost with secondary injectors and an intercooler was under $5000, would you believe it?
nope. only if you did some bargaining among buddies, or bought some of the componenets used... esp once I saw the intercooler and full exhaust add secondaries...

Let's see new fuel system, secondary controller, intercooler, full exhaust, I'm guesing a BOV, some kinda ignition box, turbo, plenum, hmmm at this point I would think you would be diving into the engine.... +spacer, pistons, maybe rods... and that's just off my head. Gaskets, tunning, either self install or additional instal fee.... under 5k new??

I'm not knockin you or your setup I just haven't seen/heard of someone really doing it low budget. There's always freebies involved or associated costs that aren't included to make it seem less expensive.

Yes, you can get a complete kit for <4k and you can make 8lbs safely BUT you have to be cautious and make sure your tune is safe. The mechanical FMU's are a freakin' nightmare! The fuel systems are low budget. If the wastegate isn't done right you'll have creep.

If you're a hard rider then I personaly don't think the <4k turbo kits will end up costing you even more. The more mellow rider who doesn't wick things to redline and doesn't hold high revs for long periods of time will do just fine though.

If I were going street turbo I would budget myself 7-9k and end up at about 12-15lbs. I think beyond that, for the street just isn't needed.

Again, I'm not trying to be down on you or negative, just realistic.

(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 29 2007,07:56) nope. only if you did some bargaining among buddies, or bought some of the componenets used...
I did get the turbo kit used, but even if I bought it new I would still have under $7,000 in it, installed, setup and tuned. A far cry from some of the numbers I see people claim it takes to get a reliable well tuned turbo.

(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 29 2007,07:56) hmmm at this point I would think you would be diving into the engine.... +spacer, pistons, maybe rods... and that's just off my head. Gaskets, tunning, either self install or additional instal fee.... under 5k new??
No engine work other than a spacer installed and I installed and tuned it myself. At the power level I'm running (13-14 psi) there was no need for any engine upgrades.

(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 29 2007,07:56) I'm not knockin you or your setup I just haven't seen/heard of someone really doing it low budget.
Until now.

(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 29 2007,07:56) Yes, you can get a complete kit for <4k and you can make 8lbs safely BUT you have to be cautious and make sure your tune is safe.
That goes for any kit, whether it's a homemade system or a $12,000 ultra kit.

(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 29 2007,07:56) Again, I'm not trying to be down on you or negative, just realistic.
So am I. Is the way I did it for everyone? no. But can it be done on a budget? yes. Can anyone install, setup and tune a turbo? I did it, without much knowledge of turbos other than what I read online, and by taking my time and making sure everything was installed, setup and tuned properly before beating the piss out of it.
    I'm not trying to sell anyone on turbos, I'm just telling my side of the story. Yes people have problems with turbos, but way to often you get people bashing turbos that have never had any experience with them, well here is my experience with one so far.

Great job. Sharp looking bike. Very clean and sounds like you had a good learning experience.

How come someone always has to drop in and rain on the parade in almost every topic I see?

it's always good to hear non-bias positive results someone has with a turbo.

I guess if someone does alot of shopping around like you did, it can be done all though I was using the assumption of NEW kits/parts. Also, thank god for all of the online help you can get for free... woulda been a nightmare to even try and get an engine with a spacer to fit the frame right... and that's after you got the engine together.

I still stand by the <4k budget is on the slim side. The 7-9k budget is really based on NEW kits/parts/electronics (all inclusive). I think it's more realistic unless you're machanicaly inclined, have good free usable tech, and can acquire trustworthy used parts.

(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 29 2007,09:27) I guess if someone does alot of shopping around like you did...
There were at least 3 used kits identical to mine that sold this winter over on sh.org from $3500-$4200, not bad for secondary injectors and an intercooler.

(Commuta_Busa @ Mar. 29 2007,09:27) woulda been a nightmare to even try and get an engine with a spacer to fit the frame right
Mine fit without any problems???

lurk.gif

(jjmetheny @ Mar. 24 2007,11:50) `   I just thought I would say how unhappy I am with my unreliable turbo bike. I know it's going to blow up any minute or strand me in the middle of nowhere, but I don't care I'm going to ride it all year long just like I did last year. I'm going to dump a bunch of money into it just to keep it running, you know, tires, oil changes, fuel, maybe a new chain and sprockets.
    I don't think I could recommend a turbo, they really don't make that much power, then you have turbo lag, my bike won't start to build boost until 3k rpm. Plus, they won't corner since you can't carelessly use the throttle like you're on a moped, you know grip it and rip it.
    Well that's about it for now, I needed let everyone know what a horrible experience I have had with my turbo so that no one makes the same mistake that I did. I have included a few pictures to show the huge holes you have to chop for an air filter and the loud dump pipes.

DSC03818.jpg

DSC03822.jpg

DSC03820.jpg

DSC03819.jpg

DSC03816.jpg

DSC03817.jpg

DSC03834.jpg
Is that a cruise control in the bottom pic on the left side ram air tube cover???
It looks exactly like a aftermarket cruise control box I had on my 93 nissan truck WAYYY back in the day.
biggrin.gif

So much for my reliable turbo that I haven't had any problems with
biggrin.gif

It started pushing coolant out the overflow last week after a few top end pulls so I took it apart and found what I was expecting.
DSC03139.jpg

I guess I wasn't really expecting to find this also...

DSC03164.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

DSC03162.jpg

So who has a deal on a set of stock pistons?
tounge.gif

sorry to see this
wow.gif

more fuel, less timming... all though the crowns look like they pretty rich already.

stock pistons? maybe try some thermal coated JE's?

btw... were you still running the stock head gasket or a cometic? just curious...

This is an excellent thread on cost vs. performance benefit for turbo bikes please kepp the pics and info coming jjmetheny. thanks for the great pics so far.
super.gif

(Commuta_Busa @ Jun. 07 2007,08:01) sorry to see this
wow.gif

more fuel, less timming... all though the crowns look like they pretty rich already.

stock pistons? maybe try some thermal coated JE's?

btw... were you still running the stock head gasket or a cometic? just curious...
That was a Cometic head gasket.

(jjmetheny @ Jun. 07 2007,20:46)
(heavybusa @ Jun. 07 2007,08:07) Elaborate a bit more on what happened here, is that detonation?
I would say it was detonation.
I've heard about that but never seen the aftermath.

what were ya running for boost? Spacer?

Man I know this feeling... only with my old nitrous cars though not a bike... You seem to be in good spirits though this kind of crap always put me in a bad mood for weeks on end... I remember when this thread first came out.... good pics and info.. plz keep it coming!! Think im just gonna go with small standered mods and call it a day.. I can't afford this type of trouble these days... and thats with me putting in all the labor
all_coholic.gif
I need a pay raise
argue.gif

Back