Friggin gas prices!

(JuiceSC @ May 07 2007,12:56) Ok, I'm confused.

If there is a shortage of refinaries and demand is high, wouldn't that mean there should be a corresponding fuel shortage at the pumps?
Excellent question...been waiting for someone to catch that. In short....maybe.....if the supply runs low enough. The real story of supply/demand/price is that fuel is sold at a market, just like tomatoes and corn. When there is a freeze or drought the price is bid up by the retailers untill it reaches a price they are not willing to pay or....cannot recover on the open market. The current price of gasoline = maximum amount the retailer believes you will pay for it

Was it 12-18 months ago when they got the oil co. CEO's up on the hill and asked them why prices were so high? The prices went from close to $3.00 back down to $2.00 in a hurry.
Then when the heat was off, they started inching back up again.

Big oil does have influence on the spot market which is what drives prices. Although they like for us to believe they are along for the ride like the rest of us.

(JuiceSC @ May 07 2007,15:56) Ok, I'm confused.

If there is a shortage of refinaries and demand is high, wouldn't that mean there should be a corresponding fuel shortage at the pumps?
Great point, it's all speculators making a damn killing off us
mad.gif

(Postal @ May 07 2007,14:46) Yeah, I heard on the radio today that they are now blaming it on lack of refineries to keep up with demand. Plenty of crude, just can't refine it quick enough. Who knows for sure?

mad.gif
This has been the case for a Looooong time. The tree huggers stop the building of the refineries to supposedly protect the environment. Their "protection" typically causes more harm than good but they're too stupid to realize it. There is a refinery shut down now for "maintenance" If there were others built it would be no biggie and we'd be paying under $2 a gallon. We have more than enough oil. We don't NEED to buy any from the rag heads. We do so to conserve/reserve our own supply.

I just bought 91 Oct for $3.11 but only paid $3.08 because if you pay CASH, you get .03 cents off  
tounge.gif
 . Geee what a deal, World Oil Prices Down and I get to pay more and more $$$ for gas  
super.gif

I just LOVE America :::::::::::: Now where is that corn stuff
wink.gif

I just bought 91 Oct for $3.11 but only paid $3.08 because if you pay CASH, you get .03 cents off  
tounge.gif
 . Geee what a deal, World Oil Prices Down and I get to pay more and more $$$ for gas  
super.gif

wink.gif

(Postal @ May 07 2007,14:46) Yeah, I heard on the radio today that they are now blaming it on lack of refineries to keep up with demand. Plenty of crude, just can't refine it quick enough. Who knows for sure?

mad.gif
This has been the case for a Looooong time. The tree huggers stop the building of the refineries to supposedly protect the environment. Their "protection" typically causes more harm than good but they're too stupid to realize it. There is a refinery shut down now for "maintenance" If there were others built it would be no biggie and we'd be paying under $2 a gallon. We have more than enough oil. We don't NEED to buy any from the rag heads. We do so to conserve/reserve our own supply.

(MoosesBusa @ May 07 2007,06:35)

mad.gif
Hey Moose, you said that already!
tounge.gif

mad.gif

(DaCol. @ May 07 2007,15:19) I just bought 91 Oct for $3.11 but only paid $3.08 because if you pay CASH, you get .03 cents off  
tounge.gif
super.gif

wink.gif
You could always move....
tounge.gif

gas1.jpg

tounge.gif

(MoosesBusa @ May 07 2007,22:44)

mad.gif
+1....

beerchug.gif

(newmill @ May 07 2007,12:34)
(Sir T Rex @ May 07 2007,12
zzwhip.gif
) Thats funny. We have 2....now hear this....WE HAVE 2 OIL REFINERIES here in Whatcom county.....2 of them and we have some of the highest gas prices in the nation and the highest in the state. Just about 10 miles south of us, its at least 30 cents cheaper...
But what do they refine?
the refine the oil.....BP and Conoco Phillips.

They produce the fuel here and ship it out.

I believe that the US is buying up all the oil from the (can you say rag heads, not very PC) so that when its all gone, the middle east goes back to the days of the pharaoh's
beerchug.gif

just my 2 euro's

(dadofthree @ May 07 2007,12:27) Paid 50 cents a gallon for unleaded

In 1976,  $ 2.83 the last time I pumped  
SHOCKED.gif
damn, thats before my time
poke.gif

you guys had internal combustion engines back then
poke.gif

poke.gif

$2.85 here in San Antonio, TX and rising. Anyone interested on a 05 Nissan Armada? ha!ha! It's costing mucho dinero to fill her up.

I live in West Florida and its $3.09 for premium give or take a dime depending which gas station. But still that's way above what we had to pay during the hurricanes and now its even higher.

Everyone gripped about how high gas prices were at $2.65 during hurricanes but now no one is saying anything. Maybe everyone saw it coming and decided to buy motorcycles.

Either way I hear $4 gas is coming in 2010 and will be here to stay. I think the whole refinerey bit is just an excuse. It costs the oil companies $4 per barrel and they sell it at almost $80. Gas really doesn't need to be this high and we ride more instead of driving and decrease our consumption.

I got caught in a freak thunderstorm with heavy rain. Almost turned back but decided to press on. Not as bad as I thought it would be. And thank goodness the storms don't last that long here in Florida during the spring.

(Sir T Rex @ May 08 2007,07:24)
(newmill @ May 07 2007,12:34)
(Sir T Rex @ May 07 2007,12
zzwhip.gif
) Thats funny. We have 2....now hear this....WE HAVE 2 OIL REFINERIES here in Whatcom county.....2 of them and we have some of the highest gas prices in the nation and the highest in the state. Just about 10 miles south of us, its at least 30 cents cheaper...
But what do they refine?
the refine the oil.....BP and Conoco Phillips.

They produce the fuel here and ship it out.
But do they produce GASOLINE? And if they do....for what region?
wink.gif

Back