let talk helmets

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
in my search for the perfect fit i found a lot of information regarding head and helmet shell shapes. the following is copied from a post on another board i thought might help here for anyone looking to get a new lid:

What head shape do all the major helmet makes/models fit?

Given the significance of a proper fit in a helmet, it's unfortunate that more manufacturers don't advertise the head shape of their various helmet models. Maybe some manufacturers don't advertise this information because they don't want to limit their potential market at the outset to only one segment of the population (i.e., oval shaped heads). It's also hard to define exactly what "oval" or "round" mean. I can also understand the reluctance of manufacturers to advertise a particular helmet head shape for fear of potential liability on the part of the manufacturer and/or retailer for selling a "round" helmet to a person with an "oval" head.

Regardless, I think it would be helpful to everyone interested in getting a helmet that fits properly if we created and maintained a list of the various helmet makes/models and the general head shape they fit. Of course, this list would obivously come with a disclaimer that it is based on subjective reviews and is only intended to provide general guidance to help narrow the field of potential helmets for a person with a given head shape.

Let's limit this to current models (or last year's models for people picking up closeouts/clearance models).

Edit-->For convenience and consistency, let's narrow this down to the 3 most common head-shape categories used by webBikeWorld in their helmet reviews (described in their helmet FAQ - look up webbikeworld.com)

The 3 most common shape categories are:

Oval - Sometimes known as "long oval", which is said to be the most common American head shape;

Round - [self-explanatory]; and

Earth - The Earth shaped head is somewhat wider in the middle, approximately near the temples.

Now for the helmets, listed by manufacturer in alphabetical order (If anyone has input on these helmets or other that aren't yet listed, post your comments):

AGV

XR2: Oval

X-Vent: Oval or Round

Arai

RX-7: Oval or Round

RR4: Round or Earth shape

Corsair: Oval

Quantum II: Round or Earth shape

Astral: Oval or Round (more round than oval)

Signet: Oval

HJC

AC-10: Oval

AC-11: Oval

CL-14: Round

CS-12: Oval

CL-Max: Round or Oval

KBC

VR-1: Round (This one seems to be across the board. People with head shapes from Oval to Round to Earth say it fits them well. Personally, I have a Long Oval shape and the VR-1 fit fairly well for a few months, but it started to really loosen up on the sides/temples after a while--it was worn daily.)

Racer 1: Round or Earth shape

Wolf: Round or Earth shape

TK-8: Oval

Nolan

X-Lite: Round

OGK

FF-3: Round

FF-4: Earth shape (one poster considers it a long Oval???)

Scorpion

EXO700: Round or Oval

EXO400: Oval

Shark

RSR: Round

Shoei

RF1000: Round (fits some Ovals, as described below. Other Ovals can't stand it--too noisy.)

RF-900: Round

X-11: Oval

TZ-R: Oval

TZ-1: Oval or Round

Suomy

Extreme: Round (fits some intermediate Ovals)

Spec 1R: Round (fits some intermediate Ovals)

If you know your own head shape and what helmets fit and don't fit, post your experience and the helmet make/model and your head shape. I'll add to/edit this list periodically based on responses.

I've had a Shoei RF1000 for about a year now. Great helmet- I love it. I just bought my wife a Shoei X-11. Both fit very similar- the X-11 a little more snug since it is new. I've never found a quiet helmet. I wear ear plugs every time I ride due to wind noise.

Rf100 is most quiet helmet I ever own...but, since my head is round, 1000 is for oval, it has some gaps top of my ears...so, I tighten my chin strap real good...solves the problem(long time ago, nobody cares about the shape of the helmet, just try to get the strongest one in the market...)
bowdown.gif

Arai signet, long oval, the only helmet that fits my head. Everything else gives me a pressure point on my forehead.

cheers
ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Icon was more for a round I'd say. I have a more oval and the Icon would squish the temples, and putting the helmet on was a tight fit.

Scorpion 400 and 700 are suitable for Ovals. I have one of each. Only issue is wearing Oakley "wire" style shades, where the legs get pressed into the temples creating a slight pressure, nothing to prevent riding but notable. I tried on a Caberg, and fit was excellent for an oval like mine. Built in shades make it a big plus, just need to go for a ride with one to see how well it vents and how loud it is.

I have to agree with REVVV. The scorpion exo700 is awesome. I tried on a lot of helmets at the chicago motorcycle show this year and I was sold on this one from the start. Fog free visors, quick wick liner, fast toolless visor swap and the price point is freakin amazing! Check out the reviews online its on par with arai and shoei. Just my opinion but you should find a vendor and at least check em out.

i just purchased this HJC AC-12 CARBON in size large but seems a little to tight in the jaw area for me [i'm selling in classifieds section for $300 plus $20 shipping, lid is NEW].

i had the exo-700 in size "extra large" and fit close to the hjc ac-12 carbon size "large", but there seems to be more room in the jaw area of the exo-700.

the scorpion exo-700 is a bit heavy but a nice lid. i think the exo-700 is for a round head shape and the hjc ac-12 carbon for a round/oval shaped head.

IMG_0038.JPG

just got back from the dealership and purchased the "perfect" fitting lid for my head... the arai rx7 corsair. this lid fits perfect in a size large for me. compared to the shoei x-11 it's not as narrow around the jaw area. compared to the hjc ac-12 carbon the corsair is slightly smaller in the skull area, and slightly wider in the jaw area.

I am into the modular helmets. Its just easier to fit on my head with glasses and I can just flip it open and carry on a conversation easier and all around it just works better for me.

However when I am riding in the crouch position the helmet tends to tilt downward alot and obstructs my view a little. The top part keeps coming down on my face to much. Is this typical of all modulars?

I have a shoei RF 1000 Diabolic 2.....best fitting helmet, lightest and best noise reduction ive ever had

But soon Scorpion is coming out with a new model that has 2 screens on the helmet one being a retractable tinted visor behind the main clear screen. And I'm thinking of trying it out

Last edited by a moderator:
for me a Shoei or an HJC fit best i have more of a oval head and the Arai is just to round

i used to have a round head but now part of my skull is stainless steel (me fall down go boom)

first lemme start off by saying that in my 34 years of riding?...i always usta go econo/bobo on my lids...just whatever fit decent and was low budget...in years gone by i've worn Bells, Bieffe and even some sligfhtly used arai's and shoei's (which usually weren't great fits but got a great deal on'em sorta thing and always regreted it)...but about 8 years ago when i started hooking up on internet group rides and covering some serious miles..sometimes for days on end?..i needed to get more serious about my lid choices...as it became glaringly apparent (and in rapid fashion) that...

"You're Lid Is Your Primary Cabin Area"

your primary cockpit so to speak...and how comfortable or uncomfortable your immediate surroundings are around your head plays a dramatic role in the overall quailty of your riding experience...and as such...is to me...THE most important part of your gear and is not to be compromised...oh?..you can get away with those gloves that are a scant tight...or that jacket that flaps in the wind a little here and there...and the boots don't hafta "be made for walking but...that lid?...it better be right...spot on...in every way.

I actually liked the lower line HJC's about 8 years back..as the CL-12 and CL-14's had some very soft and "Head Shape Forgiving Foam"....and tons of it!
laugh.gif

Then I graduated to Shoei RF900's and to be honest?...wasn't quite as fond of the RF900's as my old plain vanilla HJC's...and then?...I bought an Arai QuantumII Re-Entry...

ARAIRE.jpg

Nice and windslick but i hated the visor system and the viewing area seemed real smallish to me...and then I tried a new brand out...Scorpion EXO700 "Fury"

EXO1.jpg

definantly a lota lid for the money and i loved the visor system but alas?...O-Ren my big bad busa put the poor scorpion through it's paces...with my neck suffering and straining under tremendous wind pressure from 160 on up...and i even cracked a visor at about 187...and it was time to get even more serious...so i did....and sprung for a..

Shoei X11...

shoei1.jpg

shoei6.jpg

and it's an outstanding lid in every way...ultra aerodynamic...extremely light...and gobs of ventilation.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Jinkster, I've had a few like yourself...since Bell, Biffee, arai and shoei shark...etc.
I didn't like one so far...except RF1000, it is most quiet one that I can find, and how is X-11? I heard its nice but, due to the extra vent it makes alot of wind noise...in this case, I have one Shark RSR2...needed a extra vents for summer, but it feel like wearing a half helmet, every single noise will pick...I don't know where it is coming from
crazy.gif
so let have lil more details about the X-11...
wink.gif

My_new_lid_3_006__Small_.jpg

Back