The Gospel according to Oprah

If you have an opened mind, this movie would definitely blow you away. I have watched this movie with my Soldiers many times to show them the value in positive thinking (sinergy) and just to keep them thinking out of the box. My psychology professors also uses this movie to help reinforce pschological theories.

cool. all this will be entertaining to read when I get home tonight
smile.gif

(Okibusa @ Mar. 27 2007,11:59) The theory of quantum physics doesn’t state that you can achieve things without God. Have you ever heard the saying that humans only use approximately 10% of their brain power? The theory of quantum physics is that we have never been trained to use the other 90% of brain power and, that additional brain power allows us to operate or function or take advantage of additional dimensions. And within these other dimensions we could achieve things we never imagine possible.

That’s the quick, down and dirty. If anyone is interested, I could explain it futher (it would lead to a rather large post) or recommend an A+ movie (no, not secrets) that would explain it exactly, in laymen’s terms.
I would be interested in the movie you are referring to

As far as the concept that we only use 10% of our brain and there is 90% that we don’t use.

I have heard that and I believe that. And I have my own theory about it. Actually I have two theories which both could be correct, neither or one or the other
biggrin.gif

My first theory, and the one I subscribe to the most. Is that we only use 10% of our brain so when a human brain is injured, in most cases other parts of the brain will pick of for the damaged areas.

Most of the time when brains are injured, severely or permanently in specific areas, a person after they heal up will often experience little to no loss of motor abilities, memories, or other important functions. With the finall result being that eventually a person who suffered a traumatic injury will often eventually appear to be normal with no lasting negative affects.

If we as humans were utilizing 100% of our brain power and experienced a traumatic injury to our brain, probably in most cases that person would be permanently altered for the rest of their lives since there was no dormant parts of the brain to take over for the damaged parts

This is Theory number one

My theory number two actually would even provide more evidence that our existence was of a divine nature and that we were created with a master plan in mind

This second theory of mine is yes, if we were able to utilize more than 10% of our brain power, say 50% or even 100% who knows what our brain would be capable of.,

I do believe to a certain extent that we as humans could possibly be capable of physical manipulation of objects through thought.

I believe that the possible key to this power would be possibly unlocked if we were able to tap into more brain functions.

The problem I feel is our species, I don’t believe could currently handle this. We are too emotional as a species, all of us anger, some easy some not so easy, but all of us anger.

In the current stage of our human development, how do you think we as a species would survive if everyone could manipulate physical objects with thought? Every time someone got mad at someone, someone would die

If a husband and wife got into a really heated fight, someone would lose control of their mind power and kill the other.

My points is, as a society we are not ready for that kind of power. There might be some on this planet that have elevated brain function abilities. But all in all, we could not handle it in our society’s immature state.

And if this type of power is the destiny of mankind, but we do not fully have it yet, then there had to have been and over all plan to allows us to slowly grow into obtaining and controlling this type of power.

And this would be an indication of a divine creator and author of our lives and our universe

Or it could be both, we could only be using 10% now for a back up in the event of brain injury, and when we grow and learn to utilize more than 10%, say 50%, then we might have a brain function that allows us to control rapid self healing which would allows us to heal our own brains in the event of injury not requiring as much dormant brain mass to be available

Anyway, for what it is worth that is my thought on that matter. I still feel regardless of our current state or our future that my God is still the author of it all…

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

(VaBusa @ Mar. 27 2007,12:02) I don't see Oprah's question as a way to mislead other Christians...I also don't see it as the first steps to world domination or her being so evil that hordes of Christians need to rise up and slay her either
laugh.gif
 Yeah, I'm laughing at this entire idea here because I believe, as follower of the "gray area" where questions exist, that she can call herself a good Christian woman AND have questions.  Jeez, thrasherfox said himself that he questions all of the time, but I don't see a video of this on GodTube so we can apply 50 lashes with a whip, do you?  She can call herself a Christian and still question, have opinions on how things might be, and even if that goes in the face of what you might believe, I hardly feel it's enough to berate her as if she's evil incarnate...I've seen it expressed here so often about how things are interpreted by man, readings by man handed down by other men but from God and how we as humans have been left to decifer what's true, what's right and oddly enough, seems that many scriptures that didn't fit those criteria were mysteriously (possibly) hidden away to keep man from asking too much.  Someone asking questions doesn't negate their beliefs, at least I can see that, but perhaps many can't...

And I have to say that if there's this fear of losing fellow Christians to what they watch on the old boob tube, first, perhaps they too aren't really Christian at all and do you want those that flirt outside of the black and white on your side anyway?  Secondly tell that to the TV evangelists that stole so much from so many followers for decades in the name of God...they thought they'd found their salvation in a television show, week after week of sending hard earned cash to better their chances with God.  I'd say if you're going to be ticked off about a TV personality, choose one of those clowns over a few minutes of Oprah
laugh.gif

And thrasher's judgment against me lies in the fact that he said "See the problem is Michelle you are not a Christian"...it's more the idea that I've got this "problem" over the "not a Christian" part...it's him judging me based on what he thinks he knows of my life and beliefs when he can't even fathom what I believe and question.  His first comment is that my PROBLEM is such and such...oh really?  
laugh.gif
 That's not judgmental?  Do I need to go look the word up?  He could have easily replaced "problem" with "the ugly thing about you is" blah blah blah...would that be judgmental?  How about "the stupid thing about you is" blah blah blah...
See YOUR problem is Michelle...

j/k

no seriously one of your problems is you are reading into what I say what you want to hear and not listening to what I am saying..

Now with that said, my statement "the problem is you are not a Christian" was trying to mean that unless you are a Christian it is difficult to explain.

You took it as a slam, or something negative. you read it as because you are not a Christian you have a problem. that is NOT what I was saying.

what I was saying is because you are NOT a Chisitan it is difficult for me to try and explain things in a way that would make sense to you..

Let me "TRY" and to use this as an example, I was talking with someone who was wiccan.

And we were just sharing our differant beliefs, both respecting the others view points. and she mentioned she really liked talking to me because I did not judge her, which led us to talk about other Christians she had talked to, and she said ALL of them told her she was going to go to he11 and burn in he11 etc etc etc.

She said the funny thing is Christians put so much stock in telling non believers they are going to go to he11 when non believers dont believe in he11

And specifially wiccans. they dont believe in the devil, they dont belive in he11, so telling someone that doesnt believe in he11 they are going to he11 is a total waste of time.

Since thhat "enlightmenet" when I talk to people about things dealing with God or the supernatural, I try to determine where the persona position is so I know what is a waste of time to say or what I can say that they would understand.

Since you really are not sure of the existance of God, and you have doubts in other areas, I need to make sure anything I say to you will make sense.

Does that make sense?

so I wasnt saying YOU have a problem Michelle, I was basically trying to say becuase you are not a Christian it is a problem for my to try and explain in a manner where you might easily understand.

Does that make any sense or should I stop beating my head agains the wall now?

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Thrasher, you are all over it. The brain is able to repair itself to a certain extent. Easier done if the brain is young, as opposed to an old brain.

The movie touches on every point, or issues you just mentioned, and then some more. It talks about that large percentage of brain not being used but prepared for evolution.

It talks about humans as a species and compares capabilities with other species. And it talks about this phenomenon that everyone has heard of: Lately, well I say lately but it has been over a decade now I'm sure, doctors have discovered that stress is bad for your health. This is a case of your mental thoughts creating physical disabilities within your body i.e. high blood pressure, wrinkles, etc... Well, if this is true, should the reverse hold true? Positive thoughts; decreased blood pressure, etc...

It's a good movie. I think you would thoroughly enjoy it and compare your theories to the ones in the movie

(thrasherfox @ Mar. 27 2007,16:02) See YOUR problem is Michelle...

j/k

no seriously one of your problems is you are reading into what I say what you want to hear and not listening to what I am saying..

Now with that said, my statement "the problem is you are not a Christian" was trying to mean that unless you are a Christian it is difficult to explain.

You took it as a slam, or something negative. you read it as because you are not a Christian you have a problem. that is NOT what I was saying.

what I was saying is because you are NOT a Chisitan it is difficult for me to try and explain things in a way that would make sense to you..

Let me "TRY" and to use this as an example, I was talking with someone who was wiccan.

And we were just sharing our differant beliefs, both respecting the others view points. and she mentioned she really liked talking to me because I did not judge her, which led us to talk about other Christians she had talked to, and she said ALL of them told her she was going to go to he11 and burn in he11 etc etc etc.

She said the funny thing is Christians put so much stock in telling non believers they are going to go to he11 when non believers dont believe in he11

And specifially wiccans. they dont believe in the devil, they dont belive in he11, so telling someone that doesnt believe in he11 they are going to he11 is a total waste of time.

Since thhat "enlightmenet" when I talk to people about things dealing with God or the supernatural, I try to determine where the persona position is so I know what is a waste of time to say or what I can say that they would understand.

Since you really are not sure of the existance of God, and you have doubts in other areas, I need to make sure anything I say to you will make sense.

Does that make sense?

so I wasnt saying YOU have a problem Michelle, I was basically trying to say becuase you are not a Christian it is a problem for my to try and explain in a manner where you might easily understand.

Does that make any sense or should I stop beating my head agains the wall now?

tounge.gif
No Ron, you're going to have to b-l-o-n-d-e it down more for me, and type slowly please
laugh.gif

I've understood everything you've said, so to say that it's hard for you to help me understand your view is a complete farce because I'm understanding it all, I JUST DON'T AGREE WITH IT...there's a big difference in someone not understanding one's view vs. just not agreeing...

Signed,
The Amoeba

amoeba.jpg.JPG

Grrr. no Michelle you don’t

Because you said I was being hypocritical and I wasn’t it.

When I said the problem is Michelle you are not a Christian, that in no way was saying you were a problem, or you had a problem. But that was the way you took it and took offense to it because you thought I was being insulting to you

Which if I did truly say you were a problem or you HAD a problem because you were not a Christian, then not only would that be offensive but I also would agree THAT would have been a judgmental thing to say which is against Mathew 7:1

And then you accuse me of side stepping or back peddling. That is not how I am. I don’t back peddle, I don’t side step and if I am going to stab someone I prefer to do it while I look someone deep in their eyes and watch the life drain from them I don’t do it in the back
tounge.gif

So no Michelle, you were not understanding what I was trying to say unless you were and were just arguing for the sake of arguing…

Yes, great debate!  Thanks for sharing Ron and VA!

Did god send his son up/down/over/out/upon the earth to die for our sins?  This is a question Lamb has tackled.  Assuming there is a "god", the ego portrayed in this statement makes one ponder the intelligence level of said creature.  He/She/It creates life in his own image, gives it freewill,  and the ability to ponder it.  Then judges them on the choices they make....................  EGOTISTICAL!  Trust in the writings in the bible is what makes me a non-christian.     Even if "god" were to spell it out 3 times as clear as he did, Lamb has no trust in the inteligence level of humans living over 2000 years ago to disseminate the information.  Intelligence level was used to describe both the god and human in this paragraph, not a coincidence.  For this level can be found just like the chains weakest spot.  In this example it's the humans.    

It's the same old story of human behavior.  Look out for #1.  Is "god" not doing the same thing?  Believe in me or go some place bad..............or worse.  "God" is the misinterpreted word, and the reason Lamb is not a christian.  Trust and faith in the writings of men who didn't believe the world was round, or that leeches cured everything from gout to heart attacks(whatever those are).  Trust and faith in the scholars of the day,  monks who locked themselves away high on a mountain top for there whole lives, is what bothers Lamb.  To have "faith" in what man knew of the world 2000 years ago and his place in it, is why the words can't be trusted.

This and the bible has been edited from at least 10 languages before it was ever written in english.  Do you "trust" man to repeat a story exactly as it was written when translating from one language to another........impossible.  Sentence structure might be changed or defining words in the sentence placed before or after the verb, hence creating different meanings to the sentence!

When Lamb questioned all of this minutia,  one thing stood out to him.  Christianities base is flawed.  The heart is in the right place and the thoughts of goodwill toward men are great.  Lamb doesn't F*** with people and people don't f*** with Lamb, but if they do, would screaming "Why have you forsaken me" change a thing...............................NO!  Could believing in a god have changed anything?  Good christians somewhere have bad things happen to them EVERYDAY!  Again, the answer is............................. NO! So to ME blind faith is just that!

You're right about everything, and I'm wrong...or stupid, or possibly both, no, probably both...this thread wasn't about ME but you kind of pushed it in that direction to go toe-to-toe with me and not the issue at hand, which is fine and dandy, but I'm kind of bored now...

All I know is that I still find it damn funny that Oprah's caused such a fuss...Oprah and her question
laugh.gif
I'm certain now that she is Satan and will one day rule the world...if nothing else, I leave this thread with that knowledge, and all along I was thinking that was really Hillary's doing...
wink.gif

I love the amoeba picture...let's just rest with that thought, shall we...

(Lamb busa @ Mar. 27 2007,16:26) Yes, great debate!  Thanks for sharing Ron and VA!

Did god send his son up/down/over/out/upon the earth to die for our sins?  This is a question Lamb has tackled.  Assuming there is a "god", the ego portrayed in this statement makes one ponder the intelligence level of said creature.  He/She/It creates life in his own image, gives it freewill,  and the ability to ponder it.  Then judges them on the choices they make....................  EGOTISTICAL!  Trust in the writings in the bible is what makes me a non-christian.     Even if "god" were to spell it out 3 times as clear as he did, Lamb has no trust in the inteligence level of humans living over 2000 years ago to disseminate the information.  Intelligence level was used to describe both the god and human in this paragraph, not a coincidence.  For this level can be found just like the chains weakest spot.  In this example it's the humans.    

It's the same old story of human behavior.  Look out for #1.  Is "god" not doing the same thing?  Believe in me or go some place bad..............or worse.  "God" is the misinterpreted word, and the reason Lamb is not a christian.  Trust and faith in the writings of men who didn't believe the world was round, or that leeches cured everything from gout to heart attacks(whatever those are).  Trust and faith in the scholars of the day,  monks who locked themselves away high on a mountain top for there whole lives, is what bothers Lamb.  To have "faith" in what man knew of the world 2000 years ago and his place in it, is why the words can't be trusted.

This and the bible has been edited from at least 10 languages before it was ever written in english.  Do you "trust" man to repeat a story exactly as it was written when translating from one language to another........impossible.  Sentence structure might be changed or defining words in the sentence placed before or after the verb, hence creating different meanings to the sentence!

When Lamb questioned all of this minutia,  one thing stood out to him.  Christianities base is flawed.  The heart is in the right place and the thoughts of goodwill toward men are great.  Lamb doesn't F*** with people and people don't f*** with Lamb, but if they do, would screaming "Why have you forsaken me" change a thing...............................NO!  Could believing in a god have changed anything?  Good christians somewhere have bad things happen to them EVERYDAY!  Again, the answer is............................. NO!  So to ME blind faith is just that!
bowdown.gif

Well uhh. Lamb.. hate to break it to you.. but the medical community is more and more using leaches in modern treatment.

here is a link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5319129/

Looks like that age old use of leaches have not only been proven to be an affective medical tool, they have now been approved for use by the FDA

uhhh just wanted to pass that along since you slammed the poor leach population
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask  
beerchug.gif

laugh.gif
You mean Lamb could have just attached some leeches to his damn foot??!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(Lamb busa @ Mar. 27 2007,13:36)
laugh.gif
You mean Lamb could have just attached some leeches to his damn foot!
laugh.gif
Probably!! would have been less painful and you might have found them in a river somewhere and would have cost less for treatment!! lol

dont get the FDA approved ones, they will probably cost you and arm and a leg
crazy.gif

he he he he.. ehem

beerchug.gif

laugh.gif

(VaBusa @ Mar. 27 2007,13:30) You're right about everything, and I'm wrong...or stupid, or possibly both, no, probably both...this thread wasn't about ME but you kind of pushed it in that direction to go toe-to-toe with me and not the issue at hand, which is fine and dandy, but I'm kind of bored now...

All I know is that I still find it damn funny that Oprah's caused such a fuss...Oprah and her question
laugh.gif
 I'm certain now that she is Satan and will one day rule the world...if nothing else, I leave this thread with that knowledge, and all along I was thinking that was really Hillary's doing...  
wink.gif

I love the amoeba picture...let's just rest with that thought, shall we...
beerchug.gif

I must say this is a fun and educational read.    But I am surprised at the direction this debate has gone.

Me personally, I have always had issues with entertainers preaching their views.   They try to present themselves as experts, when frankly most of them have little if any background on the topic.  But because of their fame, they are able to influences the masses.  

Now granted, Oprah is a journalist, which means she at least went to college, and I know nothing of her background.  But I am pretty sure having your own bookclub doesn’t make you an expert on region.

My point being,  I really think the issue here is the instant creditability people get the moment they acquire fame.  And the scary power that gives them.

But regardless, I thought Tom Cruise had recently been declared the second coming of Jesus Christ, and aren’t Oprah and Tom on the outs.  Wouldn’t that make Oprah the anti-cruise.
AAAssjani.gif

(nerfboy @ Mar. 27 2007,14:09) I must say this is a fun and educational read.    But I am surprised at the direction this debate has gone.

Me personally, I have always had issues with entertainers preaching their views.   They try to present themselves as experts, when frankly most of them have little if any background on the topic.  But because of their fame, they are able to influences the masses.  

Now granted, Oprah is a journalist, which means she at least went to college, and I know nothing of her background.  But I am pretty sure having your own bookclub doesn’t make you an expert on region.

My point being,  I really think the issue here is the instant creditability people get the moment they acquire fame.  And the scary power that gives them.

But regardless, I thought Tom Cruise had recently been declared the second coming of Jesus Christ, and aren’t Oprah and Tom on the outs.  Wouldn’t that make Oprah the anti-cruise.    
AAAssjani.gif
Bwah ha ha!! Anti-Cruise!! That’s funny!!

Welcome to the board btw.

Well, BBK posted it knowing it was going to cause a debate.

and any time religion is debated no telling where it is going to go.

I rarely get into debates like this (or at least in my perception I rarely do. try to avoid them usually)

Back