Did some powdercoating this weekend

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
Did a little powdercoating this weekend.  I got there at 1000 AM Saturday and by 1130 was on my way home with finished (but hot) parts.  I am pretty happy with how they turned out - I was trying to match the factory black.

0311071123.jpg

(frisbee @ Mar. 12 2007,16:09)
super.gif

super.gif
now you have to do your frame!
I sort of wish my frame was coated black, but I instead decided on polishing the frame and the new arm - mainly because I can polish the frame on the bike, but to coat it would require massive amounts of work.

The arm should be done any day - almost the same arm you have.

super.gif

Looks real good! How about a full side shot so we can see it all?

(BigBSBusa @ Mar. 13 2007,19:20) Looks real good!  How about a full side shot so we can see it all?
I would but the bike is still somewhat in pieces. The new swingarm will be back from the polisher hopefully today - then this weekend I hope to get that on. Once that's done I'll post some pics of the finished product.

Also - I need a Gixxer 600 lower linkage - ordered one from Suzuki one month ago - still on backorder. Without that I can't install my swingarm.
crazy.gif

Looks good. What would you charge to do the passenger pegs and front pegs for a person in black to match the 06 LE frame? It's not a real shinny finish on the frame.

(Punisher @ Mar. 14 2007,08:17) Looks good.  What would you charge to do the passenger pegs and front pegs for a person in black to match the 06 LE frame?  It's not a real shinny finish on the frame.
It's my best friend that does the coating - not me - although I have been there since he got the equipment and have helped with the setup - learning what he has learned along the way. We are just getting into this - still lots to figure out.

I gave him $50 for all that you saw in the pics (Front and rear pegs, kickstand, and bar ends) - figured that was fair.

The black we used was gloss, and like you said, wouldn't match an LE that well. He does have a flat/matte black but we haven't used it on anything yet so not sure how it will look.

Also - I didn't do the pegs themselves as you can see. I was afraid it would melt or distort the rubber. We cooked these parts at 400 F for 40 minutes (about like a pizza) so rubber will definitely degrade some in that environment.

He's honestly pretty swamped right now - business is good. I'll talk to him tonight and see if he's interested in doing some outside work. If we could get several guys who wanted the same color to send their parts at the same time then we could probably reach a pretty cheap price, since the setup is the same for 10 parts as it is for 100.

I'll PM ya later this week.

Back