Gold Wheels are done....

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Well, it took longer than I thought and planned but its almost done. Got the wheels powder coated in Gold Nugget, has a texture to it, which is cool, then clear coated a couple times. Unfortunately I already shot the rotors in the same gold nugget, expecting the wheels to be in the lime, but we switched wheel color yesterday. So, I'll be taping the rotors back off and shooting a hint of lime over them tomorrow or this week (still waiting on new wheel seals). I think the contrast with the lime sprocket, black hub and gold wheel looks nice, really stands out. Looking at the gold rotors I just dont get that feeling of being in awe, so gotta do lime.
Rear Wheel

Close up rear wheel, trying to show the texture...

The labor crew, L-R, Railman (Aubrey) the painter in learning, Slyder (Nick my wingman) my elbow grease and meticulous eye, Rightie (Dan da Kid) more elbow grease and color coordinator.

Double Down (John) chaser, elbow greaser, door man (makes for a clean path when carrying 400* parts from the oven to the cooling rack!).

Front, gold on gold, which I need to change.

Rear, contrasting Lime, Black, and Gold...I like.

The camera lens is jacked up, accidently had some root beer spilled on it and its making for a nasty clean-up.

Charlie

Hard work paying off !
super.gif

Lookin' good. The Green on the rotors will definitely be a major improvement.

Is it just my imagination or is there a flaw in the gold here?

--Wag--

gold_wheel.jpg

Gee thanks
guns.gif
Wag.... no for real. Yes there was some issues with the first baking and had to be redone. Well, the rear, pictured there, only had a few sand down issues. The front was coated last night, twice in the lime green and then stripped...what a PITA.

(CAT3 @ Jan. 14 2007,17:26) Gee thanks
guns.gif
Wag.... no for real. Yes there was some issues with the first baking and had to be redone. Well, the rear, pictured there, only had a few sand down issues. The front was coated last night, twice in the lime green and then stripped...what a PITA.
I almost didn't want to point it out but I was thinking that if I were going to do a project like that, I wouldn't want to let a flaw like that go by. I'd have to hope my buds would point it out.

Of course, when I put the link in my chain upside down, THAT was not a consmetic flaw to me because the damn thing is a FUNCTIONAL item, not an appearance item!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

Wag I know whatcha mean man. If I had took pics of the first bake in lime you'd shant yourself...I dont know what happened but it was junk. I seen the flaws in the rear, sanded and laid a second coat, followed by two clears.

Thanks 99b/w, DD,Rock, Ran and Bren. I might be able to pick some seals up tomorrow, if so, she'll be assembled late tomorrow night and will only be waiting on the final wheeling of the paint. Can't wait.

Regardless, the job still looks VERY nice!

--Wag--

Well, because it seemed the majority agree'd with me, I just finished baking the rotors again. Instead of stripping the gold nugget off, I coated 2 thin coats of Psycho Lime over the Gold, for more a unique effect. Besides the Lime is very translucent, and with so many pits trapping the brake dust etc, it would have shown thru very nasty like. Anyway, coated the grab bar in Lime also, but think I need to redo it, it caught two specks of dirt from the shed to the oven, one is dark and the other is I think dried grass, not sure if I can get them sanded out and shot again in a light coat or not, but I'll try tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow the shop in Tucson will have some wheel seals so I can get this thing back on the road.
I appreciate all the comments and Heavy, I think that botch was from a bad ground....just after that first coat, found the alligator clip broke off from the ground wire *yikes*. Replaces and reshot the wheel, man it made a difference.
I welcome any critisizm as well, I try to take it all with a constructive attitude...so if you have any shoot.

Thanks again.

A bad ground will do it every time!
beerchug.gif

Why are you sanding, use some paint remover or some kind of stripper and the powder should come off.

I was going to scuff the boogers out, and lightly dust over the bothced area. Its worked on some rearset and stuff I've done. Might just strip it back down and do something different. I like the Lime over Gold effect. I dunno, tired from this and Roxicet is full force now, so I'll sleep on it
smile.gif

BTW, have you ever used a UV light for curing powder? I've been thinking of getting a couple, but not sure on the practicality of them vs. an oven.

Back