Rode my first busa today... HUGE disappointment...please help.

rashad

Registered
Ok, Im looking at a local bike.. a 2002, with 8000 miles on it..

Repainted Ugly Factory dodge truck blue (think dull, 70's blazer blue(the coat)) uck.. He made the mistake of telling me it used to be dragraced.

It seemed mechanically sound though and paint is relatively cheap. I am a two fingered clutch kinda guy, and this one had to be pulled all the way to the bar, limiting my control or at least sense of control... adjustment hopefully?

Hes asking 5,000 and will not budge. The only mod on the busa are Muzzy carbon slip ons which sound pretty nice.

It was kinda cold and windy which made this ride not fun at all, but I did my best to critique the bike. I gotta say, the Honda Blackbird I rode was soooooo much smoother and felt way more powerful than this thing. Let me explain:

Around 9K or so the bike would energetically fall flat on its face. I could hardly do a wheelie with this bike!!! I am not a new rider...I used the clutch even!

But the falling on its face around 9K was scary. It would sputter and cough and act like a bike thats running out of fuel! Any ideas? I want to like the busa... I have always wanted one. The price isnt bad, although the color sucks and there are small scratches on all sides.

I know this cannot be an accurate representation of a busa...it just cant be.. But it left a horrible taste in my mouth.

He says he never revved past 9K (lol) because he didnt need to. No, you dont need to..unless you are test riding a bike to see if it RUNS PROPERLY!

Guys, help me out... I want to like this bike.. What could be wrong with it? I have read the kickstand switch can act up and under hard accel it can make the bike sputter (even though it is an on off switch somehow it can do this)..

I am so close to buying that super blackbird for 6800....

lol cmon.. i wasnt doing burnouts or trying to clutch it up...at first.. but when i realized this thing wouldnt even lift the wheel I tried to clutch it once or twice and it still didnt come!

I wasnt hard on her, but I wanted to wind out first gear and hit second and when I got to 9K she just said "lets just be friends..."???

lol cmon.. i wasnt doing burnouts or trying to clutch it up...at first.. but when i realized this thing wouldnt even lift the wheel I tried to clutch it once or twice and it still didnt come!

I wasnt hard on her, but I wanted to wind out first gear and hit second and when I got to 9K she just said "lets just be friends..."???

:rofl:

You could ONLY get her up to 9k...so you found one that you didn't like...

How are we supposed to help you ???

Why don't you just step up to the plate and buy a new one :poke:

You didn't mention how the blackbird was cared for. That alone would be my guess as to the poor performance of the Busa. The BB is comfy, no doubt, but the Busa is far more comfy and lets you know rather quickly how much power is there. If you want a Busa you probably shouldn't buy one that has been mistreated.l You most definitely don't want to judge all Busas based on the one you rode.

Sounds like the bike has been beat on, before you rode it!
If its falling on its face at 9k, its sounds like the fuel pump is dying!

Sounds like shes been rode hard and put up wet. Like a bar of soap after a hard days washing. When you ride one that is right then you'll know the power of the Busa, don't let this one that has been beat into the dirt have you thinking the Busa isn't all of what you heard.

Last edited:
Hi check the service history on this bike believe me it is very important specialy when you buy it from a private seller it sounds to me that it might be a feuling / spark problem / my friend bought a second hand Busa and we had the same problem bike would not go over 9000 rpm we manage to trace the problems variuos / wasn't serviced regularly and it had a broken injector

Yes rather look for a Busa that was looked after and cared for !!!!!

You rode a pig brother. The 2002 will have extreme torque between 4K and 9.5K and hit the factory limit just north of 10K. Not a problem since you will be hitting 80 MPH at limit in First in about 3 seconds and topping out shortly there after in sixth at around 180. Even with the best road conditions and the best of tires you will feel the azz kick out slightly hitting 2nd and 3rd gears. As far as wheelies go; on the Busa it's a problem keeping her down in first and second gears. Just ease off and at 4K twist the wrist. Make sure your right foot is over the rear brake since you are such an experienced rider and all. No clutch tricks required with this bike from the factory. She's a bit heavy for all that horse play and without due care you'll fugg the front fender and blow the fork seals.

Here's some help. Read this,

Someone is asking $5,000 for a seven year old bike with an awful paintjob that has been dragraced and doesn't run well.

Interested???

You can still find new 08's for around $9.5 K I would rake that route. A well maintained low mileage Busa is gonna set you back at least $6500.

JFYI @ 9000 that is where the bike should be really comming alive. DO NOT buy this bike, cause we will be stuck trying to help you make a bike that has been beat to chit run for you. This is not a true representation of what the Busa stands for.....

If you could talk him down in price it might not be a bad deal, but fuel pump would certainly need to be replaced. I'm with everyone else that it has been ridden hard for 8k miles.

Definatly ride another Busa before making a decision, Sounds like you got ahold of one that has been severly mistreated, Probably fixable, But you might as well spend the extra cash to find a better running bike as well as a better looking bike. ( Paint job that is )

if you need a clutch to wheelie a stock wheelbase Busa (Gen I or II)??

a)that means you need wheelie practice
b)that means the owner whooped tha dog-sh*t outta that bike, and is tryin to con you somthin fierce!

Busa's will wheelie off the throttle alone in 1st AND 2nd-done it on 3 diff bikes so I know what Im saying isnt b.s....
the guy sellin that Busa says it hasnt been past 9k rpms, but HE DRAGRACED IT???:rofl:
man, that guy is lying out his azz one way or another-either he never dragraced, or he did n that thing has prolly bounced off the rev limiter more times than a Rocker goes to Rehab:poke:

forget about that wimpy 'bird and go find a healthy Busa-you'll never be happier:thumbsup:

Besides...fugged up paint job tells me it has been wrecked and the guy didn't have the $$$ to take proper care of her. Let someone else have that headache.

Go GEN II dude... you WON'T want to ride anything else after :thumbsup: (and you can even pull the front wheel up at 4K :whistle:)

Back