Cud in coolant reservoir....how bad is this??

Falcon Wing

Registered
I just picked up a 05 Busa today. I was taking off panels to get a better look, and noticed this crud...looks mostly like sand, in the coolant reservoir.
How is this possible?
Owner did live off a dirt road.

Should I take this to the dealer, or should I just clean out the reservoir?

0f63a9def029946b91e5b65820641b880_large.jpg

I would start with draining and checking what that is....then take off the overflow tank...clean it out real good.....and flush the coolant system and refill with new fluids.

I would just clean it and keep an eye on it!

It looks like there is some oil in there!

How many miles are on the bike, and what the condition of the motorcycle?

Bike has 3300 miles....seems in very good condition, barely a scratch.
I thought that might be oil too.

Where is the overflow tank?

Is there instructions how to drain/flush the system?

Bike has 3300 miles....seems in very good condition, barely a scratch.
I thought that might be oil too.

Where is the overflow tank?

Is there instructions how to drain/flush the system?
In the shop manual in the mantinence section you will find what you need!

The overflow tank is the coolant reservoir!

Just unbolt it, and drain it, and clean it, then refill the bottle to the correct level!

Last edited:
the overflow tank is what you have pictured.

There is a procedure to follow in the service manual.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the 00-01 manual....is that good for the 05?

What brand of radiator fluid should I use?

Pretty easy to clean out. They develop crap as they age. No biggie as long as you don't let it go too long.

Probably a good idea to flush the radiator while you're at it. Also no biggie but a bit time consuming.

--Wag--

Pretty easy to clean out. They develop crap as they age. No biggie as long as you don't let it go too long.

Probably a good idea to flush the radiator while you're at it. Also no biggie but a bit time consuming.

--Wag--

I went back a read a load of posts saying the same thing.

Thanks everyone for the information. I will be doing a coolant flush/change and oil change before I put any miles on it.

It's normal biuld up of crud in a Busa over flow bottle...just remove the bottle and clean it out :thumbsup:

Good thing about living in a cold climate and doing track days. the system gets flushed at least one a year to get the anti-freeze out of it. Keeps everything nice and clean in there :)

It sounds like the last owner just never emptied the crud out. Every new busa develops it. You just have to empty it out. I emptied mine once and never saw it again.

Just crud - clean and flush as per the other posts. The manual online here will work. It specifies the type of antifreeze and if you just add water - it has to be demineralized etc. or you will have more crud ... search for threads ... there is an excellent article on how to bleed the radiator to get the air out (or you will get overheats, etc). Careful with some of the engine ice products (better cooling and required for tracks - they don't allow antifreeze as it slimes the track if it leaks/you go down) BUT they aren't meant for cold climates as in "anti-freeze" ... Hey I was in C Springs when it was like 25 degrees with snow on edges of the road and a guy drove by on a Ducati!!! :shocked::eek:

Just crud - clean and flush as per the other posts. The manual online here will work. It specifies the type of antifreeze and if you just add water - it has to be demineralized etc. or you will have more crud ... search for threads ... there is an excellent article on how to bleed the radiator to get the air out (or you will get overheats, etc). Careful with some of the engine ice products (better cooling and required for tracks - they don't allow antifreeze as it slimes the track if it leaks/you go down) BUT they aren't meant for cold climates as in "anti-freeze" ... Hey I was in C Springs when it was like 25 degrees with snow on edges of the road and a guy drove by on a Ducati!!! :shocked::eek:

Deadeye,

I did buy Engine Ice...are you saying I SHOULD NOT use it here in C. Springs?
Package says protects down to -26'.

Engine Ice is Fine it is anti freeze so you are good most track require you run water wetter as it is not a true anti freeze like engine ice and regular anti freeze

It sounds like the last owner just never emptied the crud out. Every new busa develops it. You just have to empty it out. I emptied mine once and never saw it again.
Yep all busa's I've ever seen have that in the overflow tank...even lots of VERY low mileage bikes. It must be something to do with Suzi's factory anti-freeze. A few guys have flushed the sytem and within a few miles they have it again. They describe it as a jelly-like substance ??? I may empty my overflow bottle someday and flush it out.....or maybe not :laugh:

Back