Shim Kit

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Great news folks!
biggrin.gif

I recieved a PM from H.org member GIXERHP asking me to call him regarding the shim bank annnnd?..as it turns out?..GIXERHP has a full house suzuki dealer/service shim kit...and?...he's willing to let us ship it around to each other for member use!
biggrin.gif

We also discussed that there will be a few rules/stipulations that need to be established such as...

1. You order and replace the shims you take/use...(here we may need a board vendor who would be willing to forward the ordered suzuki o.e.m. shims to the "Next On The List" persons address...and be prompt about getting them there.

2. (and this ones all me)..I "request" that the users be willing to update a traveling inventory list of what they took and what they ordered and?...go ahead an include their R&R'ed old shims to be deposited and build/grow our shim bank. (This way?..one day we'll have "GROWN" our own complete shim bank and be able to return GIXERHP's original shim set to him..with a huge thanks and debt of gratitude for stepping up)

3. When you recieve the shim bank?...you have no more than (1) week to get the job done and forward it to the next person on the waiting list...the quicker the better.

4. As the recipient?...YOU are responsible for postal charges, providing adequate insurance and the promt shipment of the shim bank to the next person on the waiting list.

5. Persons requesting their name be put on the shipping/waiting list "MUST BE KNOWN MEMBERS" in good standing who have been with us at H.org for a period of no less than 6 months.

6. There will be NO OVERSEAS SHIPPING of this shim bank...Continent of The U.S. Only.

And finally?...GIXERHP and/or myself reserve the right to modify or revise these rules as we see fit at any time.

The good news is?...if you meet the basic requirements..and are willing to abide by the "Shim Bank Rules"?...you get the benefit of saving oddles of cash DIY'ing it annd?...having the luxury of having a full house dealer/service shim kit by your side real time while doing the job...and?...step-by-step pictorial instructions on a post provided by me...which is why GIXERHP is shipping the kit to me first...heck...if i have enough time?...i might even try to put my sony handycam to the test and include a traveling DVD instructional video.

I will update this post as events proceed...until then?..

biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Wow! Kudos to Gixerhp for making this a quick reality and to you Jinkster for putting it together. I am a long way from needing this but I will anxiously await that pictorial how-to.......
all_coholic.gif

(JINKSTER @ Feb. 17 2007,13:41) Great news folks!
biggrin.gif

I recieved a PM from H.org member GIXERHP asking me to call him regarding the shim bank annnnd?..as it turns out?..GIXERHP has a full house suzuki dealer/service shim kit...and?...he's willing to let us ship it around to each other for member use!
biggrin.gif

We also discussed that there will be a few rules/stipulations that need to be established such as...

1. You order and replace the shims you take/use...(here we may need a board vendor who would be willing to forward the ordered suzuki o.e.m. shims to the "Next On The List" persons address...and be prompt about getting them there.

2. (and this ones all me)..I "request" that the users be willing to update a traveling inventory list of what they took and what they ordered and?...go ahead an include their R&R'ed old shims to be deposited and build/grow our shim bank. (This way?..one day we'll have "GROWN" our own complete shim bank and be able to return GIXERHP's original shim set to him..with a huge thanks and debt of gratitude for stepping up)

3. When you recieve the shim bank?...you have no more than (1) week to get the job done and forward it to the next person on the waiting list...the quicker the better.

4. As the recipient?...YOU are responsible for postal charges, providing adequate insurance and the promt shipment of the shim bank to the next person on the waiting list.

5. Persons requesting their name be put on the shipping/waiting list "MUST BE KNOWN MEMBERS" in good standing who have been with us at H.org for a period of no less than 6 months.

6. There will be NO OVERSEAS SHIPPING of this shim bank...Continent of The U.S. Only.

And finally?...GIXERHP and/or myself reserve the right to modify or revise these rules as we see fit at any time.

The good news is?...if you meet the basic requirements..and are willing to abide by the "Shim Bank Rules"?...you get the benefit of saving oddles of cash DIY'ing it annd?...having the luxury of having a full house dealer/service shim kit by your side real time while doing the job...and?...step-by-step pictorial instructions on a post provided by me...which is why GIXERHP is shipping the kit to me first...heck...if i have enough time?...i might even try to put my sony handycam to the test and include a traveling DVD instructional video.

I will update this post as events proceed...until then?..

biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Here is the kit, it does have several misc, sizes in each bin. When your doing your vale adjustment you should measure each shim before installing them! DO NOT install the shims with out measuring them! ! !
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I'd be happy with a step by step on checking my setup for clearance. Reading the manual lost its fun after having to point things out to a certain individual. But, I'll be waiting and will most likely ask to be entered on the list later.

As this is getting started, ill be shipping the kit to Jinkster on Monday! Any one who is interested sould get on the list soon! If you haven't done a valve adjusted, it can be very pain staking. All you need is patience, and common mechanical skills! The only special tools anyone would need, are a good set of long feeler gages, and basic metric tools that most of you owner all ready have.
The satisfaction of doing something your self is great!
One thing that ill and is,, please folllow the rules, if someone doesn't ill stop shipping the kit!

I'm gonna need this in a few weeks. Well, I need it now, actually but I'll just have to wait 'cause I don't have the friggin' time right now!

WTG, guys.

super.gif

--Wag--

Thanks guys...but most thanks should go to GIXERHP for offering up his own personal full house dealer/service shim kit to get this thing kicked off and like i said...eventually?...one day?....GIXERHP would like the kit returned...and we should have no problem doing that as long as we GROW OUR BANK by ordering replacement shims annnnnd...including/depositing the replaced out-of spec removed shims...and if we move this kit around a lot and throw plenty of "Shimming Partys"?...I think we should be able to grow/collect enough "Replaced Shims" to create/grow our own comprehensive "Shim Bank" in about 6 months to a years time...enough so that we can return GIXERHP's kit back to him in full.

The big benefits here are...

1. You'll get to save possibly several hundred dollars doing it yourself.

2. Even if you've never inspect/adjusted your own valves before?...the instruction "How-To" posting i create will be very thorough and you'll fully understand before ever taking a wrench to your busa.

3. You won't "LOSE YOUR BUSA" for what could easily turn into a few weeks time at the merciless appointment and labor schedule of your local stealership.

4. You'll only hafta R&R your fairing, airbox, throttle bodies and valve cover ONE TIME...as if you do need to replace any shims?...they'll be right there by your side..all sizes available...in other words...you don't hafta remove everything just to inspect your valve clearances and then WAIT for any special size shims you may have to order to arrive...they'll ALL be right there and readily available before you even start the job..and that's cool!

and the best part?...

5. You get to do it yourself...knowing that the job was in fact DONE and DONE RIGHT!..with every valve adjusted to perfection.
biggrin.gif

so?..as ya'll can tell...i'm pretty excited about getting this "Shim Bank" thing kicked off...and huge kudo's to GIXERHP for stepping to the plate and laying his full house dealer/service shim kit on the line to help us out and get this thing started off in an extremely healthy mannor.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

I want to do my valves before this kit ever leaves New England.

GixerHP can I ride down and do them ?

We need to pin this thread if we intend to make this thing work... Much love and kudos go out to GIXERHP... YOU DA MAN!!!!
bowdown.gif

(bacharles @ Feb. 18 2007,11:54) We need to pin this thread if we intend to make this thing work... Much love and kudos go out to GIXERHP... YOU DA MAN!!!!
bowdown.gif
100% agreed.

Also, move it to the Maintenance and Do-it-yourself section.

--Wag--

(TIMMYDUCK @ Feb. 18 2007,10:09) I want to do my valves before this kit ever leaves New England.

GixerHP can I ride down and do them ?
Its all ready gone, a friend has it and is shiping to Jinkster for me!

But Ill put you on the list so i can get back in the area!

well I guess I wait till next year to do it, I just got the good news, in a few moths in heading back to Iraq. but I can't wait to see the step by step guide.

"Here's a pic of my kit!"

Great!
biggrin.gif
Look'in good..Thanks GIXERHP!
beerchug.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(JINKSTER @ Feb. 18 2007,10:23) the instruction "How-To" posting i create will be very thorough and you'll fully understand before ever taking a wrench to your busa.
Those of us that have benefited from Bill's "how to" threads know this will be awesome  
bowdown.gif
. Also a big THANK YOU to GIXERHP  
beerchug.gif

Back