Nose Fairing Removal Question

JPunisher

Registered
I'm about to remove the nose fairing and was hoping someone could help me out. Right now I have taken off the following:

1. All inner panels
2. Both side panels
3. All panels under the front tire (still need to remove panel right above the tire)
4. Both mirrors
5. Two screws that connect the nose to the ram intakes
6. Gauges

My understanding is that I just need to do the following:
1. Remove the remaining panel from #3
2. Stand in front of the bike and gently pull the sides over the mirror mounts.
3. Then gently pull the nose off.

Is this correct? Do I need to unplug any electrical connections such as the signals and headlight? I'm not sure if these come off attached to the nose or if they remain on the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JPunisher

It's been awhile, but I think you have already done way too much. You'll have to disconnect the lights, but you can do that after you have slipped the nose off a ways. It weighs nothing.

Make sure you are very careful pulling it over the mirror mounts. The Gen II is a bit thinner IMO and will tear.

Thanks for the response.

It's been awhile, but I think you have already done way too much.

I sent all my inner panels to get painted and I'm doing some other stuff like adding the 3BR USB and fairing screens which is why most of the panels are off. Though I'd get it all done at once.

You'll have to disconnect the lights, but you can do that after you have slipped the nose off a ways.

Do you disconnect the one wire on the left side (lighting harness) or do you need to disconnect all of the lights individually(headlight, signals, running lights)?

Thanks,

JPunisher

I don't remember, but you'll figure it out. Obviously if you can disconnect one connector that's the way to go. Either way it's simple.

Watch Saiid's video - or just pull up hayabusa fairing removal on Youtube

Watch Saiid's video - or just pull up hayabusa fairing removal on Youtube

I've looked everywhere for a video of the Nose Fairing removal but can't find one for the gen ii. I did see some videos from Blanca for the side fairing removal(very helpful by the way). I plan on taking and posting pictures for future reference.

Thanks,

JPunisher

So as promised, here are some pictures and tips. Please see my previous post for items that need to be removed before attempting the steps below.

Before taking off the nose you only need to disconnect the lighting harness (See arrow 3). Now the rest of the wiring for the signals and headlamp will stay with the nose. So here is the tricky part. As you know, you need to pull the nose fairing over the mirror mounts. Don't pull from the orange part of the fairing, you need to pull from the black plastic since these pieces are together (See arrow 4). If you pull from the orange part you will break the fairing. In the 3rd picture you can see what stays with the nose when the fairing is removed. Arrow 5 from this pic shows one of the 2 mounts that hold the nose on. You should be facing the bike as in picture 2 when you do this.

NoseRemoval2_zps883efbce.jpg

Again, if you are facing the bike, you need to pull in the directions of the arrows marked as 1 until the fairing is over the mirror mount. Then you pull the fairing towards you as in arrow 2. Again, MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE PULLING FROM THE BLACK PLASTIC MARKED AS ARROW 4 ON BOTH SIDES IN THE FIRST PICTURE OR YOU WILL BREAK THE FAIRING!

noseremoval1_zps7e8a9b6d.jpg

This is what the nose looks like off the bike. Arrow 3 shows the connection of the lighting harness. Arrow 4 shows the black plastic that needs to be stretched over the mirror mount (If I didn't figure this out and pulled from the orange part of the fairing, it would have been a bad day for me). Arrow 5 shows the connection to the daytime running lights. This is the connection you need to tap into if you are using the wiring harness from smithabusa (pics coming soon).

NoseRemoval3_zps483b9611.jpg

Well, hope this helps. Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out:thumbsup:.

JPunisher

Wanted to thank you for this thread it was very helpful to this newbie who happened to drop the little screw that holds the clamp that holds the low beam bulb in place down into his headlight while upgrading to hid's. Needless to say it was a very long and frustrating night but thanks to this and blanca's tutorial thread things were so much easier. Kudos sir, kudos!!

No problem. Glad it was of help. This forum and it's members have been a great help to me many times and I'm glad I can give a little back. I have more stuff coming soon including a tutorial on installing the 3BR Powersports USB 2.1A and smithabusa's accessory harness. Excellent upgrades if you want to add a USB charger and other accessories to your bike without splicing into the electrical system.

JPunisher

Back