Mirror Removal, Bar End Mirror and Mirror Caps Installation

Mythos

Registered
Mirror Removal, Mirror Caps and
Bar End Mirror Install

The OEM mirrors need to be removed in order to remove the top fairing or the windscreen. Permanent mirror removal is considered to be an appearance enhancement and weight loss mod by some owners. For street use the addition of mirror caps and a bar end mirror is desirable.

There are a number of bar end mirrors on the market. I have purchased CRG bar end mirrors with pivot hinges for about $80 a piece. I also have purchased two brands of cheap knockoffs costing as low as $16 for a pair. I have not noticed a significant difference in quality.

There are numerous brands of mirror caps available. I bought cheap ones that seem rather heavy for supposedly being made of billet. Also, they seam to have a coat of paint rather than anodized finish.

Tools:
nonpermanent thread locking agent
8mm open end wrench
4mm hex tool
3mm hex tool
8mm box end wrench.
bar end mirrors
mirror blocks

Removal
1. Pull back the rubber boot that conceals the mounting bolts of the rear view mirror.
uncvrmrrbltsJPG.jpg

2. Use an 8mm open end wrench to remove the two bolts that secure the mirror base plate to the top fairing. Remove the OEM mirror.
mrrbltsrmv.jpg

Installation
3. Installation is the reverse procedure.

Mirror Caps and Bar End Mirror Installation
4. Align the bolt holes in the mirror caps with the threads that protrude from holes in the top fairing where the OEM mirror seats.
mrrmntholes.jpg

5. Apply non permanent thread locking agent to the bolts and snug them up with the appropriate size hex tool (mine took a 4 mm)
ttnmrorblts.jpg

Do First: Remove bar end weights https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/178424-bar-end-weights-removal.html

6. Apply nonpermanent thread locking agent to the bolts and install bar end mirror adapters to the bar ends (general torque spec for a 6mm shank bolt is 4 ft lbs, nice and snug is probably good if thread locking agent is used). The screws that came with my bar end mirrors required a 4mm hex tool.
nstlbrndadptr.jpg

7. Install the mirror bracket and the ram ball to your preferred angle and tighten the pinch bolts with a 4mm hex tool.
tghtnmrrbrkt.jpg

8. Tighten the pivot screw (if the mirror has a pivot) into the nut using a 3mm hex tool and an 8mm box end wrench.
tghtnjoints.jpg

Bar end mirror installed.
brendmirror.jpg

Mirror cap installed.
mirrorblock.jpg

Bar end mirror adapter installed. I used this as a lightweight bar end ready for a second mirror to be attached if I ever wish.
mrrbrndadptr.jpg

Weight Reduction

OEM Mirrors: 1 lb, 6.6 oz
busmirsweight.jpg

Plus OEM bar end weights, 1 lb, 9.0 oz
brendswght.jpg

Equals 2 lbs, 15.5 oz removed from bike.

Less 1 bar end mirror adapter with bolt, .60 oz
brndadptrwgt.jpg

and one more bar end mirror adapter with bolt and one mirror (you can install a second mirror if you like), 4.85 oz .
MCmtoprtsbrndwght.jpg

and 2 mirror caps with screws, 3.9 oz
mirorcapswght_zps3d01aa72.jpg

Equals 9.35 oz. added to bike for a net weight reduction of 2 lbs, 6.15 oz

Excellent write up!
Personally I don't like bar end mirrors and would never fit them to my bike, but I can understand why some do, and the weight saving makes sense too.
Thanks for creating this instructional thread . . nice job!
Kiwi approves :thumbsup:

Back