Gen2 Exhaust Questions

HayaBeast

Registered
Just purchased my dream bike, 2014 Black/Red. It came with the short hotbodies cans. My goal is to remove the cat and have the exhaust dump from non-silenced tips on both sides. I see that some have cut the factory cat open and removed the catalyst material. Im not against saving money but would like to hear wether or not the large empty chamber creates a strange exhaust sound. Vance&Hines no longer makes a header. What brands of header/decat pipe have you guys used that are still avaliable? Do i have to flash the ECU? Change the NOx sensor? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

.....welcome,

As the gen 2 Hayabusa is now 12 yrs old, there are a whole hockey-sock of aftermarket exhausts for it....the search feature on our forum will be your best friend....there are just so many to choose from...Yoshimura, Brocks, etc, etc...

Everyone on here has an opinion on which is the best...you would get pretty confused in a very short time...

If this is your dream bike, there is no sense in cheaping out and going the DIY route...a good aftermarket system will make the bike sound better and have a little more punch...you can search through ebay or other buy and sells for exhausts for this bike or maybe even someone on here has a system they are selling at a reasonable price.

.....welcome,

If this is your dream bike...
+1
Or maybe mix and match, new & used (new cans on a used header).

You won't need to rush out to flash the ECU but with a newish (full) system, the bike would like the AFR to be checked (and so would you). How are you planning to run the bike? Really hard, as in competition?
There are lots of threads here that discuss the specifics of a tune, a flash-tune, a basic tune.

Bottom line, I'd add a flash-tune to the list if the bike has a different full exhaust than factory specs.

Which exhaust brand? YOSHIMURA, IMHO

is to remove the cat and have the exhaust dump from non-silenced tips on both sides. I see that some have cut the factory cat open and removed the catalyst material. What brands of header/decat pipe have you guys used that are still avaliable? Do i have to flash the ECU? Change the NOx sensor? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I went through the same dilemma and definitely wanted to keep the dual exhausts….. There is a header out of England I believe that still dumps to 2, but as always cash was not unlimited and I tried a cheaper route and ordered the below decat pipe off ebay. Took about 2 hours to cut the pipes and gently tap this adapter into place - fitup was tight but worked excellent. The factory NOx sensor screwed back into place perfectly. I rode it for about a month and then took some of the money I saved and sent the ECU to RCC for a flash.
At the end of the day I think it was the best setup for me and I think you’ll be very impressed with the stainless and weld quality on that China pipe (I was anyway )

3F89CEB0-0153-426C-861A-7845CCF9D289.jpeg

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I wasn’t aware that de-cat pipes existed. I believe that is what I’m after. Is that an eBay listing notenoughtoys? Any other brands/options out there?

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I wasn’t aware that de-cat pipes existed. I believe that is what I’m after. Is that an eBay listing notenoughtoys? Any other brands/options out there?
Ebay - there seem to be a number of listings from various sources - pretty sure they are all from the exact same origin so go with the cheapest and free shipping . Just search “Hayabusa decat”.
Good point Ottafish brought up - the difference in heat transmitted to your right foot will be very noticeable !!!

I’m ordering now. Thanks again.
Good stuff ! Just cut the pipes where indicated (4” abrasive cutoff wheel / hand hacksaw to get the last bit), then cleanup ends and tap decat into place with a rubber mallet) - would have been a lot easier if the exhaust was off the bike but I took a chance and jacked it up as high as I could get it….. Fit is very tight but I’d rather have this than too loose

Back