Let’s all check our insurance

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
From ozy69s experience we should all check our insurance level for theft (comprehensive) insurance. Some years back I cancelled nearly all my coverage but on tour one night at a motel pretty far off the beaten path I got to thinking about it. Before going to sleep I called my company and added theft coverage to my policy. The thought of waking up and seeing the bike gone was enough to make me call the insurance company.

On one hand the clause of not covering a modified vehicle is likely in every insurance and lease contract on the planet. So, one should not be surprised when an insurance company follows through with a written contract.

On the other hand if this happens periodically, the consumers need to challenge these clauses and get them scrubbed. How could it hold up in court that some minor change to a vehicle has anything whatsoever to do with an accident and subsequently paying out a reimbursement that the consumer paid for in good faith? I would expect, at least some logical judges somewhere, would agree that said clause is illegal.

Last edited:
My policy covers optional/added equipment that I don’t have very much of except for the Throttlemeister, radar detector, stem stand, Corbin seat (on my Z) and RoadLok. If the Arashi rotors were trashed and they would only replace with OEMs, which would be more expensive than the Arashis, I’d point that out and be happy with whatever they’d choose. Read your policy and get what you’re paying for.

On one hand the clause of not covering a modified vehicle is likely in every insurance and lease contract on the planet. So, one should not be surprised when an insurance company follows through with a written contract.

On the other hand if this happens periodically, the consumers need to challenge these clauses and get them scrubbed. How could it hold up in court that some minor change to a vehicle has anything whatsoever to do with an accident and subsequently paying out a reimbursement that the consumer paid for in good faith? I would expect, at least some logical judges somewhere, would agree that said clause is illegal.
Insurance companies are pretty much untouchable as they have been allowed to have a lot of authority and are almost unregulated to make up their own clauses. It's a two edged sword, the law here says you HAVE to have insurance and all the insurance companies are in cahoots to drive the prices...

Around here, a modified vehicle can be pulled over and ticketed as they are operating contrary to the 'Hiway Traffic Act" although I've never seen this ever being done.

I've seen those very loud tuner cars and lifted extremely loud pickup trucks pass by police and not a thing has ever been done.

Last edited:
What are you guys paying for insurance? just got a quote for over 1800 a year. I am 53 years old no tickets. Thats more than my other 3 bikes combined,and one of those is a 2012 Zx 14R. Thanks, this is for a Gen 3 BTW. This is through Allstate.

I remember one owner saying he gets his bike covered for legal closed course drag racing. I'm sure he paid a lot more but it might be worth checking into if you race. You might be able to buy coverage for a one time event. LOL I doubt any insurance company will cover that for racing on public roads though! Then again, never heard of an insurance company denying coverage for a high speed crash where the vehicle was obviously exceeding the speed limit. I'll bet you the adjuster reports that though and I'll bet you even more your insurance company keeps a record of such things even if there's no ticket for a violation.

I called to cancel my insurance the day after my crash. I told him the whole story, I hit a deer and the bike is wrecked, I'm sure it's totaled and yes, I understand I get nothing because I was running straight liability. From listening to him on the phone, I had the impression he was writing the info down. I didn't get a ticket so I assumed I was not at fault for any violation. I wouldn't doubt if insurance companies still like knowing details even for incidents they don't need to pay a claim on.

What are you guys paying for insurance? just got a quote for over 1800 a year. I am 53 years old no tickets.
About $100/6 months, liability only. If you don't crash, have theft or act of god damage, it will probably pay to not have the bike covered. I guess I'd go with comprehensive for the first couple years on a new bike but after that, I don't think it's worth it. Just save a couple hundred dollars a year incase you need it.

What are you guys paying for insurance? just got a quote for over 1800 a year. I am 53 years old no tickets. Thats more than my other 3 bikes combined,and one of those is a 2012 Zx 14R. Thanks, this is for a Gen 3 BTW. This is through Allstate.
My gen 2 has full coverage including replacement for $750 a year...

$1500 a year for full coverage. 29 years old and clean record for a Gen 2 with Progressive

My policy covers optional/added equipment that I don’t have very much of except for the Throttlemeister, radar detector, stem stand, Corbin seat (on my Z) and RoadLok. If the Arashi rotors were trashed and they would only replace with OEMs, which would be more expensive than the Arashis, I’d point that out and be happy with whatever they’d choose. Read your policy and get what you’re paying for.
Progressive paid out for every aftermarket part that was damaged when I had my accident a few years ago. Only reason for that was that I opted for the accessories coverage.

My gen 2 has full coverage including replacement for $750 a year...
Hahahah mine is $3360 a year and I have a very good driving record... we have only 1 insurance company in sask and you have to have it. Any bike over 1300cc or bigger are all $3360 a year no matter age or class..... they also pay for their own police force to enforce driving laws.

Time to move.
Well lucky I only pay for about 6 months and the other 6 are snow.... but yah motorcycles where I live are basically getting outlawed through insurance increases it started at $180 a month when I started riding for a R1 or a ZX10 now its $280 not even 10 years later. If you have a bad driving record it would be roughly $320-400 a month.

Well lucky I only pay for about 6 months and the other 6 are snow.... but yah motorcycles where I live are basically getting outlawed through insurance increases it started at $180 a month when I started riding for a R1 or a ZX10 now its $280 not even 10 years later. If you have a bad driving record it would be roughly $320-400 a month.

1300ccs and up eh? Show them your Gen 1 is really 1299ccs.

Thanks for the replies, any body try insuring a Gen 3? that was my original question.
There must be someone with a Gen3 in the US who got it insured. I can't understand why the coverage would be a whole lot more than a Gen2 considering the engine and hp are basically the same. ...of course, it does cost almost twice as much as the Gen2 did and that might be the whole reason.

If it were me, I'd take the insurance money and do closed course racing.

Hard to believe Saskatchewan has such high rates! It's so flat there that if you actually hit something, you saw it fifteen minutes before the crash! :p
Hahaha the only issue is the roads I just came back from alberta and it is literally night and day once you hit the border our roads are as worse as a third world country!

Hahahah mine is $3360 a year and I have a very good driving record... we have only 1 insurance company in sask and you have to have it. Any bike over 1300cc or bigger are all $3360 a year no matter age or class..... they also pay for their own police force to enforce driving laws.
You are definitely more dedicated to riding than I am, if my insurance were even half that, I would either move or get rid of the bike in a second...

Before I got my bike I called my insurance and if they would have quoted me a high number, it would have stayed right where it was.

@Bumblebee I ride my bike rain or shine everyday, I dont insure my truck in summer except for garabage runs etc so I do save about $125 a month there. If we need a vehicle we use my gf's the rest of the time. Its hard pill to swallow but I have to swallow it... I am not able to move due to farm/family obligations maybe later in life I will.

Back