My Home Brew drag bike build

Tofy92

Registered
Hey guys and Girls,

Thank you for taking the time to check out my bike I have been building over the winter.

I purchased the bike in June 2020 completely stock with a fresh paint job as it had been wrecked and repaired. my intention was always to turn this into a full on drag bike so was never worried about the fact that it had been crashed.

Since purchasing the bike it has only been to the track once (due to Covid and time restraints) which was when the bike was completely stock, i managed a 10.51 E.T with a 60foot of 1.9. I know this is terrible but i think it is largely due to my weight (approx. 285lbs fully geared).

With the above in mind i wanted to cut significant weight from the bike, as well as make it a practical drag bike, I managed to get her down to 462lbs so far.

Specs are as follows:

Setup:

- Brocks Performance rear lowering links
- Brocks Performance front lowering strap
- Brocks Performance triple top clamp
- Brocks Performance side stand
- Schnitz racing carpenter clutch mod
- HEL Braided clutch line
- HEL Braided rear brake line
- ASV Clutch lever
- APE Clutch slave support
- Regina drag chain
- 16T Front sprocket
- 43 tooth rear sprocket
- MPS air shifer
- MPS kill box
- Fibreglass extended rear tail section
- Custom made lowered drag seat
- Voodoo race sidewinder
- K&N air filter
- Re Sprung and re valved rear shock
- Shinko hook up drag rear tyre
- short velocity stacks
- Small air box mod
- Race cut front fairings
- Pair delete
- Oil cooler delete
- Lithium battery
- Ecu flashed by Dave wood racing
- Aluminium rear subframe from 1999 model
- Dogwood fuel cell
- Dogwood billet fuel rail
- Billet fuel pressure regulator
- Bosch 044 fuel pump
- Torque -6 an fittings, hose and regulator
- Catalyst lower fuel tank shell
- headlamp fully gutted and lens bonded to front fairing
- Mark hope custom rear-sets
- Evil swingarm 10-14 inch over with low pro brace
- rear brake reservoir delete kit
- Pingel kill switch
- voodoo Billet 2 inch oil pan
- MR12 Race fuel

Looking forward to using the bike this season on Test and tune days. i am looking to add a MTC Multistage clutch, and a good rear drag shock also this season.

My aim is to go turbo, motec and cut seat rail next winter.

Let me know what you guys think, and if there is anything which stands out I could do to the bike.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_3831(1).jpg

Looks good. Gearing is pretty tall though. I bet your times would drop with a change in that alone, especially the 60'. One other thing to think of especially in the future if you go MTC or turbo, you will want to go with a bigger sprocket in the front. If you start putting down some good power or torque on the hit, your chances of snapping a chain with a small front sprocket is very likely.

Just for reference, I'm running a 19T front sprocket on the drag strip.

Looks good. Gearing is pretty tall though. I bet your times would drop with a change in that alone, especially the 60'. One other thing to think of especially in the future if you go MTC or turbo, you will want to go with a bigger sprocket in the front. If you start putting down some good power or torque on the hit, your chances of snapping a chain with a small front sprocket is very likely.

Just for reference, I'm running a 19T front sprocket on the drag strip.
The reason for the gearing is to get me off the line as quick as possible with the current power.

I will forsure change it when going turbo etc

The reason for the gearing is to get me off the line as quick as possible with the current power.

I will forsure change it when going turbo etc
You bet. I just meant that if you went +2 or 3 more in the back it would help with the current power setup you have. It would drop your top end MPH, but would get you out of the hole faster and drop e.t.

You bet. I just meant that if you went +2 or 3 more in the back it would help with the current power setup you have. It would drop your top end MPH, but would get you out of the hole faster and drop e.t.
Stock gearing is 17 /40

I have 16/43 which is far more acceleration over stock ?

That's actually a pretty fair e.t. for your first time out. At your weight I agree another couple teeth in the back would make it easier to get moving. The biggest factor will be practice. Get that throttle open ASAP. On my stock motor 69" hand clutch bike last summer I practiced and found I could get the throttle fully open in 0.2 seconds then regulate the clutch. That is the key ... but don't try to get there all at once.

If your plan is to make this into a turbo drag bike I would save your money on a multistage and get a gen 2 mtc clutch. Those are the ticket for turbo bikes. On my gen 1 drag bike I have gone 9.2x on stock motor true hand clutch. Probably could of gone 9.1x now days as I have learned a lot from a couple years of racing. Just have fun and get seat time. Don’t rush yourself when at the track. Good luck.

If your plan is to make this into a turbo drag bike I would save your money on a multistage and get a gen 2 mtc clutch. Those are the ticket for turbo bikes. On my gen 1 drag bike I have gone 9.2x on stock motor true hand clutch. Probably could of gone 9.1x now days as I have learned a lot from a couple years of racing. Just have fun and get seat time. Don’t rush yourself when at the track. Good luck.
Hi. They also make the MTC Gen 2 with air assist . For every pound of air it puts 3 pounds more of clamping force on the clutch.

^this! I went with Fuel Tech, but there are great options out there right now and not too crazily priced. Plus the functionality now of the units for price compared to other older competitors is awesome.

Back